X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syfy announces mini-series "in development". Ringworld and Childhood's End

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/10/ringworld-syfy/

'Ringworld' miniseries in the works at Syfy -- EXCLUSIVE

Two classic sci-fi novels are in the works at Syfy. The network is developing miniseries projects based on Larry Niven’s Ringworld and Arthur C. Clarke’s Childhood’s End.

Michael Perry (The River, Paranormal Activity 2) is adapting Ringworld as a four-hour miniseries. The story follows a team of explorers that travel to the farthest reaches of space to investigate an alien artifact called Ringworld – an artificial habitat the size of one million Earths. As they crash land on this enormous structure, they discover the remnants of ancient civilizations, technology beyond their wildest dreams, mysteries that shed light on the very origins of man and, most importantly, a possible salvation for a doomed Earth.

For Ringworld fans, this news might cause some deja vu. Syfy previously considered making a Ringworld miniseries under a different production team nine years ago.

Childhood’s End will be executive produced by Michael DeLuca (The Social Network) and follows a peaceful alien invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords, whose arrival ends all war and turns the planet into a near-utopia.

The projects will be announced at Syfy’s upfront presentation in New York City today. Ringworld is a co-production of MGM TV and Universal Cable Productions; Childhood’s End is from Universal Cable Productions. Earlier EW reported that the network is also development a gated community thriller from Robert Zemeckis. They join several previously announced Syfy miniseries in development, such as Philip K. Dick’s The Man in the High Castle, Stephen King’s Eyes of the Dragon and the apocalyptic mini Darkfall.

I would be very surprised if Syfy actually makes any of these. A few years back I got into it on another forum when Syfy announced a whole bunch of new series "in development" and I bet that at most one of the ten would make it to a series. And NONE did. However, Syfy did make a pilot of one of them, Three Inches, and showed the pilot. It was tons better than the show they went with, Alphas.

Ringworld is an interesting idea. Now with CGI costing less and getting so much better, they could actually do the puppeteers. So, technologically and economically it would be doable.

Cool. I remember reading both those books/series years ago, and enjoying them.

Comment

Me too. I'm surprised if they actually make Childhood's End, though, it's so depressing.
      sigpic

Comment

If I jump for joy, will that jinx it?
        Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Makes sense to make Childhoods end as a mini series, the story is pretty great but could never support a full series.

Ringworld was an interesting book though I found the whole "luck" element to be silly.

Personally I´m more interested in the full series that syfy are developing. I just hope that they end up picking a space based one and not some Earth based supernatural themed show.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
            Makes sense to make Childhoods end as a mini series, the story is pretty great but could never support a full series.

Ringworld was an interesting book though I found the whole "luck" element to be silly.

Personally I´m more interested in the full series that syfy are developing. I just hope that they end up picking a space based one and not some Earth based supernatural themed show.
            I feel supernatural isn't really sci-fi; I like space-based shows :-).
            If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
            [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Working...
            X