The Devil in the Dark (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post
    when do they explain how these hellbugs and strange wolves of the first episode got in the earth for the first place ?

it's kind of weird that aliens come from other world and bring deadly animals with them to earth, that dont do any good for the aliens to

different aliens live with us after there war is understandable but how come so many different species of animals comed to earth is not understandable, it's not like they are so advanced animals that they can build space ships and fly trough space to get in earth

the nuclear waist does not explain the mutation cause we have chernobyl what is like 30 years old already and there are no mutated animals as big as a house and the mutation does not happen over night... it must take at least 100 years or something like that

Howdy.

Here's a link to the Wiki associated with "Defiance". It appears to be relevant to both the show and the game.: http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Defiance_Wiki

I haven't had a chance to look through all of it, so be warned that it may contain spoilers associated with the TV show.

Here is the link from that site which is specific to hellbugs: http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Hellbug

Hope this helps.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Comment

I found my self bored with this episode. Too many cliches and predictable scenes.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

The only thing i liked was seeing the extendable blade fight scene.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          The terraforming caused many things to become hybridized like the Churkey, Banapple, Landchovy, Mushmato and Pow.
          Ha! I'd love a mushmato. Also a garlion.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Perelandra View Post
            Your number 5 is one thing that has always bothered me about Star Trek,and other shows that show inter-species mating(human and alien) Ect. I love-love Star Trek- all the series and movies but if you have 2 species supposedly evolved independently on different planets they shouldn't be able to reproduce-right? As much as I love Mr. Spock-anyway a small quibble for me something I overlook in that and in this show as otherwise good episode.
            Except in star trek we know species didn't evolve independently, many evolve from the same source DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              Except in star trek we know species didn't evolve independently, many evolve from the same source DNA.
              So did horses and donkeys, yet their offspring is nowhere near as fertile as the offspring of Star Trek mixed couples.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

It was mentioned in ST: Voyager that B'Lanna Torres' parents had a lot of genetic help in order to conceive her. In a very technologically advanced society, medical technology is bound to be advanced also. We relatively primitive humans are already tinkering with dna. I'm not terribly bothered by the occasional cross-species hybrids.

The telepathic thing - yes, could very easily be overdone. In this case, it seemed to be triggered by an enormous (at least personally to the individuals involved) event. Psychic echoes if you will. Would be interesting on a very rare basis.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                  Howdy.

Here's a link to the Wiki associated with "Defiance". It appears to be relevant to both the show and the game.: http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Defiance_Wiki

I haven't had a chance to look through all of it, so be warned that it may contain spoilers associated with the TV show.

Here is the link from that site which is specific to hellbugs: http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Hellbug

Hope this helps.
                  Hey, thats my wiki!

Yes there are TONNES of spoilers....or there was, not sure how many future spoilers you might be able to get from it. But it will contain any spoilers that I come across. Some of the pages are out of date and I need to update them.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    Yes.
                    I don't know yet about Defiance-(haven't researched the other sites yet about the aliens original origins)
                    In the Stargate series all the humanoids had a common origin DNA(MW humans brought to other planets by the Goauld, and Pegasus seeded by the ancients- to me this seems more realistic than in Star Trek, however I do believe there was an episode in Next Gen(can't remember the name) which explained the origin of humanoid aliens coming from one alien race which seeded the Milky Way with it's DNA than each planet independently evolved life.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                      It was mentioned in ST: Voyager that B'Lanna Torres' parents had a lot of genetic help in order to conceive her. In a very technologically advanced society, medical technology is bound to be advanced also. We relatively primitive humans are already tinkering with dna. I'm not terribly bothered by the occasional cross-species hybrids.
                      Yes I remember that now that you mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                        Hey, thats my wiki!

Yes there are TONNES of spoilers....or there was, not sure how many future spoilers you might be able to get from it. But it will contain any spoilers that I come across. Some of the pages are out of date and I need to update them.
                        And a darn good wiki it is.

Have you come across any additional information on the local city government? Defiance is listed as an independent township, with a population of approximately 6,000. How do they pay the mayor, the town council and the rest of the civic employees like Nolan? I'm assuming everyone uses Earth Republic scrip for money, but it would be interesting to know how this currency was raised (taxes?).

regards,
                        G.
                        Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                          And a darn good wiki it is.

Have you come across any additional information on the local city government? Defiance is listed as an independent township, with a population of approximately 6,000. How do they pay the mayor, the town council and the rest of the civic employees like Nolan? I'm assuming everyone uses Earth Republic scrip for money, but it would be interesting to know how this currency was raised (taxes?).

regards,
                          G.
                          Why thank you.

The city has a council who make the decisions like a normal town would. Not sure on taxes, but I wager they probably have taxes for business etc that want to operate in the town and the mines would have to pay to operate, seeing as they could potentially dig into the wrong spot and cause the town to collapse. It's also possible that some taxes are paid in supplies, food, gulanite, water etc so people don't need to buy things themselves.

Scrip does appear to be made by E-Rep and is said to be accepted everywhere. E-Rep does have a presence in many places and appear to have some of the good tech and supplies so their money is worth its weight in gulanite. I doubt its the only currency, but probably the only standardized one.

Comment

Only thing that really bothered me about the episode was the whole elevator sequence...it drops them all the way down and seemingly breaks until then without any visible repair it works right when they need it...could of been done better and ruined that escape scene for me...plus it must be nice to fall that far in an elevator and smash down with no physical injury to anyone inside

Comment

That bothered me terribly - enormous fall, no injuries
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HulkSmash View Post
                                Only thing that really bothered me about the episode was the whole elevator sequence...it drops them all the way down and seemingly breaks until then without any visible repair it works right when they need it...could of been done better and ruined that escape scene for me...plus it must be nice to fall that far in an elevator and smash down with no physical injury to anyone inside
                                Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                                That bothered me terribly - enormous fall, no injuries
                                I recall hearing some sort of braking system kick in, just in time (yes, it's a standard cliche).

I looked at the video: http://www.showcase.ca/defiance/vide...p=1&s=dd#video Indeed there is something that suggests a brake kicking in, just in time. I'm assuming it was some sort of automatic system which was being a bit flaky due to age/lack of maintenance.

Tommy spent approximately 5 minutes of their time fixing the electrics of the elevator so they could get out the way they came in. Yes, once again it's a bit cliche, but what else could the writers do?

I've been trying to think of how that part of the episode could be worked differently, so there was still tension/excitement but was not reliant upon these old chestnuts: 1.) the elevator drops unexpectedly, and brakes just in time; 2.) the electronics are fried, but are repaired, just in time; 3.) the "monsters" are delayed just long enough to allow the heroes to escape.

For how the writers set up the scene, I don't see how events could have unfolded any differently. The only way things could happen differently would be to have an unexplored tunnel going off of that chamber, and then extend the escape scene into the beginning of the next episode, with perhaps a tie-in to the McCawleys investigation of "L7".

regards,
                                G.
                                Go for Marty...

Comment

Working...
                                X