• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Devil in the Dark (104)

Visit the Episode GuideDEFIANCE - SEASON ONE
    THE DEVIL IN THE DARK
    EPISODE NUMBER - 104
    Nolan and Irisa investigate “Hellbugs” that rip apart their victims from the inside-out, and learn that someone is using them as a weapon. Meanwhile, Irisa suffers from disturbing visions.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 May 2013, 09:52 PM.

Fantastic episode!

The hellbugs looked and sounded like they do in the game.

Not sure how I feel about Irisa's ability to see the past, sort of runs away from sci-fi and into fantasy, hopefully its some sort of advanced telepathic ability.

Comment

Perhaps a bit of a filler episode with some character and species development for Irisa and the Irathients.

1.) The guy going out for a run in that wilderness, alone and while listening to music, is a clear case of "evolution in action".

2.) The second guy to die gets hot oil poured on his chest, as in just fried up some crispy bacon hot oil, and he doesn't scream out the safe word? Did this guy bathe in lava?

3.) Why would Sukar refer to Irisa as "Little Wolf"? What does he know of wolves? Yes, I get that it is something that the audience can grasp, still, I would prefer that the writers had used an Irathient equivalent.

4.) I don't quite get how these hellbug pheromones were isolated and developed. When did she get the time/opportunity/resources etc. to do such a thing? Just because her father had training in the area of entomology doesn't mean that she would have this as well.

5.) I get the Romeo/Juliet aspect of Christie and Alak's relationship, but where does it go from here? Sure, they can get married, but I strongly doubt that they would ever be able to have children.

6.) Irisa and her abilities are something that could really take over the series. If the writers are smart they will find very good reasons to really restrict its use, or they will have to concoct reasons later in the series to not use it.

regards,
      G.
      Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
        Perhaps a bit of a filler episode with some character and species development for Irisa and the Irathients.

1.) The guy going out for a run in that wilderness, alone and while listening to music, is a clear case of "evolution in action".
        Huh?

2.) The second guy to die gets hot oil poured on his chest, as in just fried up some crispy bacon hot oil, and he doesn't scream out the safe word? Did this guy bathe in lava?
        There are people who like being whipped until they bleed, enough said.

3.) Why would Sukar refer to Irisa as "Little Wolf"? What does he know of wolves? Yes, I get that it is something that the audience can grasp, still, I would prefer that the writers had used an Irathient equivalent.
        Maybe he knew what wolves are, or maybe he was referring to saberwolves (the ones in the pilot)

4.) I don't quite get how these hellbug pheromones were isolated and developed. When did she get the time/opportunity/resources etc. to do such a thing? Just because her father had training in the area of entomology doesn't mean that she would have this as well.
        In the game there are little things the hellbugs drop off that expel pheromones, if youy get some of them you could extract what you needed.

5.) I get the Romeo/Juliet aspect of Christie and Alak's relationship, but where does it go from here? Sure, they can get married, but I strongly doubt that they would ever be able to have children.
        Since when does their love lead to children? Also we know that Humans and Irathients can interbreed so why not Castithans.

6.) Irisa and her abilities are something that could really take over the series. If the writers are smart they will find very good reasons to really restrict its use, or they will have to concoct reasons later in the series to not use it.
        Yeah, not liking that one too much either.

Comment

I really hope they don't make the Irathients into stereotypical nature lovers. It would make much more sense if they're experts in ecology and biology. Maybe they worked extensively on the terraforming technology and were responsible for making sure the tech creates a sustainable ecosystem.

Comment

I agree on the psychic abilities - I am not keen on that development. I hope there's some reason it doesn't happen often - like the psychic-blocking version of consoles blowing up or transporters unable to get a lock. Only more ever-present. I enjoyed it overall though.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
              I really hope they don't make the Irathients into stereotypical nature lovers. It would make much more sense if they're experts in ecology and biology. Maybe they worked extensively on the terraforming technology and were responsible for making sure the tech creates a sustainable ecosystem.
              Actually they are defined as lovers of nature and tend to live in tents instead of houses. The Indogene were actually the ones who worked on the terraforming (and all other tech), you can read about their tests here: http://www.defiance.com/en/series/wo...asion-timeline

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                Fantastic episode!

Not sure how I feel about Irisa's ability to see the past, sort of runs away from sci-fi and into fantasy, hopefully its some sort of advanced telepathic ability.
                I didn't care for that part of it -it just seems like it's been done to death in so many other sci-fi shows(i.e.Teyla,counseler Troi, ect)-otherwise I liked the episode a lot-esp. the dinner scene with Christie and Alak and his parents.
                Last edited by Perelandra; 30 April 2013, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post

regards,
                  G.
                  Your number 5 is one thing that has always bothered me about Star Trek,and other shows that show inter-species mating(human and alien) Ect. I love-love Star Trek- all the series and movies but if you have 2 species supposedly evolved independently on different planets they shouldn't be able to reproduce-right? As much as I love Mr. Spock-anyway a small quibble for me something I overlook in that and in this show as otherwise good episode.

Comment

Actually they are defined as lovers of nature and tend to live in tents instead of houses. The Indogene were actually the ones who worked on the terraforming (and all other tech), you can read about their tests here: http://www.defiance.com/en/series/wo...asion-timeline
                    If that's the case then how did the Irathients earn their place in the fleet? The ships could only take a very limited number of people, so it would only make sense for those useful enough, influential enough, or rich enough to get on them, with maybe a small number of spots for randomly selected people.

Comment

Huh?
                      An idea from Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (in "Oath of Fealty" amongst other books). Every time someone dies from doing something stupid, the average human intelligence quotient goes up by a billionth of a percentile, and they can no longer diminish the human gene pool.

This guy goes running in the wilderness, alone, and wearing a headset, which deprives him of potential warning sounds in his environment. If he had gone running out in the wilderness prior to the day where he gets ripped apart by the bugs (as was apparently the case), then he was lucky to have survived that long.

There are people who like being whipped until they bleed, enough said.
                      Well, I wouldn't know about that sort of thing....

Even if he is okay with getting hot grease poured over his chest, she then starts to rub it in with her bare hand. Yikes.

Maybe he knew what wolves are, or maybe he was referring to saberwolves (the ones in the pilot)
                      Ah, good point. Still not fully up on my "Defiance" fauna.

In the game there are little things the hellbugs drop off that expel pheromones, if youy get some of them you could extract what you needed.
                      While that may be the case, where/when/how did she gain the knowledge to do such a thing, and the resources for such a procedure? Are we to accept that she can do this merely because she is Irathient? If so, I'd like a bit more to back this up than some memories of her looking at bugs in a jar with her dad.

How is the game compared to other MMORPG's, assuming you've played others?

Since when does their love lead to children? Also we know that Humans and Irathients can interbreed so why not Castithans.
                      Originally posted by Perelandra View Post
                      Your number 5 is one thing that has always bothered me about Star Trek,and other shows that show inter-species mating(human and alien) Ect. I love-love Star Trek- all the series and movies but if you have 2 species supposedly evolved independently on different planets they shouldn't be able to reproduce-right? As much as I love Mr. Spock-anyway a small quibble for me something I overlook in that and in this show as otherwise good episode.
                      Perelandra has the gist of my point. There should be no way that humans and these aliens are biologically compatible. It's a question of evolutionary biology. And even if they were genetically compatible (ie. mix up sperm and egg in a dish and watch it grow), there's no certainty that they would be physically compatible.

Yeah, not liking that one too much either.
                      Yeah, this seems to be a unanimous point with folks. It really has the potential to complicate the writing for future episodes.

regards,
                      G.
                      Last edited by Gollumpus; 30 April 2013, 03:45 PM. Reason: Sometimes I type with my elbows.
                      Go for Marty...

Comment

hmm kinda boring ep. The white people with the white hair and white clothes and white decor are kinda boring to me

Still not sure what to make of this show. If they have more eps like this then they could lose my interest.
                        sigpic

Comment

when do they explain how these hellbugs and strange wolves of the first episode got in the earth for the first place ?

it's kind of weird that aliens come from other world and bring deadly animals with them to earth, that dont do any good for the aliens to

different aliens live with us after there war is understandable but how come so many different species of animals comed to earth is not understandable, it's not like they are so advanced animals that they can build space ships and fly trough space to get in earth

the nuclear waist does not explain the mutation cause we have chernobyl what is like 30 years old already and there are no mutated animals as big as a house and the mutation does not happen over night... it must take at least 100 years or something like that
                          Last edited by lopo30; 01 May 2013, 01:57 AM.
                          sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

I don't think the aliens brought the hellbugs with them - I think the hellbugs were a mutation caused by the accidental terraforming. I'm not real certain of that, but it was the impression I got.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hellbugs mutated from a small crustacean creature from the planet Irath. I got the impression they appeared very quickly seeing as Arkfall was Jan 2030 and Hellbugs had been sighted by June 2030.

Saberwolves were also a terrform gone wrong creation. Not sure of the in-universe specifics on that one though.

The terraforming caused many things to become hybridized like the Churkey, Banapple, Landchovy, Mushmato and Pow.

Comment

Working...
                              X