Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the seasons so weird in the show and why are the people so backward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And a lot of that is what we're seeing, glimpses about how the 'normal' people are affected by the 'few' making their dash for power. And more of how the 'few' are affected. Alliances, partnerships, betrayal, all fueled by the overriding push for power, most of the so focused on that power that they don't/can't see that with winter coming, the strife caused by this war may doom them all (since so many are focusing on war and not laying in supplies they may not survive the winter or at the very least may need to become refugees fleeing it)

the ultimate irony may be that whoemever wins the game of thrones will be leading an empty land, because everyone else has gone south for the winter.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
      I actually think the show and actors are great, just the story/plot sucks.
      lol, that's my opinion too but show sucks to me as well. Most of the plot seems to be slight buildup, shock value moment, aftermath and fallout, slight buildup, shock value moment, aftermath and fallout, etc. And character deaths aren't as shocking anymore once you figure out who his main characters are supposed to be. He's not going to kill Daenerys; if he does, then I'll hush up. The realism schtick that the books seem to go for in the light fantasy setting kind of falls apart for me when you have someone like Daenerys surviving as long as she has. All of that is my opinion of course.

The problem you seem to be pointing out about the general lack of advancement in fantasy worlds is not really new. But you have to consider that their world revolves around magic, something essentially uncertain and selective. If the magic was consistent and uniform, then that would likely be the 'science' of their world. Their world seems to revolve around uncertain and selective magic, so their progress might evolve differently, even unrealistically.

Comment

I love when people try giving me a history lesson on things I'm already quite aware of.

I've thought about the fact that they have been stuck in a medieval type world for a while, and while first of all it hasn't been that long (if we judge medieval by iron and steel weapons it 5-6,000 years, I think...before that men existed but it was hardly a medieval set up) did you ever stop to think that there is a reason that they have not advanced?

We can't always go around trying to explain or question some things in fantasy or science fiction, otherwise the entire premise of the genres fall apart. Harry Potter, for instance, has a lot of flaws when you really start to think about it...That's generally why you don't think about it, unless you are looking for a reason to hate it. I do it all the time when I am forced to watch Disney movies cause I can't stand them, so I pick them apart easily.
        sigpic

Comment

I once read a series of fantasy books about witches. It ended up that the world they were on just happend to be a 'lost' colony from Earth. And due to some unexplained reasons they had lost all technology and had to re-learn everything. But they lived in a feudal system.

Perhaps this is how GOT will turn out?
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I think people need to stop imagining Game of Thrones happening on Earth. These people are not humans displaced from medieval/dark ages but people who vaguely look like that.

Different world, different civilizations. Once you realize that this is totally different world and universe then you can enjoy it.

I have also heard many people complain about the lack of action. My answer is this: not every fantasy show has to be like Lord of the Rings or whatever and have big battles. The books and the show have always been about showing the world through a character's eyes. If someone wrote a book for example in that style, for soldiers in the Persian Gulf, I wonder how many battles we would see?

I always got the impression from the beginning that this was not supposed to be Spartacus but more politics and scheming than bloodshed.
            Hi There!

Comment

I'm completely amazed on how people always try to force connections between FICTION and FANTASY worlds to reality.
              (Characters saying things like "the xxxxx on earth" means the story is supposed to be in earth? So i guess every scy-fi or fantasy wirtten in an earth language must be related to reality because the characters speak in earth languages right?
              Get serious please.)

It would be quite a lot to comment on why you're wrong, but let me just say I'm amused to read about how the plot of what basically is the best fantasy since Tolkien "sucks", how what is a pretty realistic medieval setting somehow is unrealistic because there's sutff that doesn't happen like that on reality, or how this is "misogynistic, hedonistic crap".

Really, hilarious.

PD: GRRM thinks about "a song of ice and fire"'s planet as maybe being larger than earth, but he isn't even set on that.
              And the seasons will have a magical explanation.

Comment

...You can get a general idea of how many years have passed in the books by Arya's age, which if I remember correctly gets mentioned the most...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Working...
                X