• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rains of Castamere (309)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON THREE
    THE RAINS OF CASTAMERE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 309
    Robb presents himself to Walder Frey, and Edmure meets his bride as House Tully is united with House Frey. Aria draws closer to her long-awaited reunion, Bran must use his gift to help his brother, and Daenerys’ forces move against Yunkai.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 12 June 2013, 08:35 PM.

The Red wedding. Just further proof that no character is immune.

Next week, season finale.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I knew what was coming the moment one of the Frey foot soldiers closed the large doors. When the string player started the first few strains of The Rains of Castamere, my stomach tightened and I readied myself for a lot of bloodshed... and that's exactly what we got.

It was pretty much the most difficult episode of the series for me to watch but it does illustrate the point that no character is immune. Goodness, it was depressing to watch, especially for those who have liked the Starks from the beginning.

When I read the chapter about the Red Wedding in the books, there's one thing that kept going through my mind: Dany's the last hope for any kind of honor the Seven Kingdoms. And maybe perhaps Stannis? *sigh*
      sigpic

Comment

Good episode. Looks like we'll get a bit more of it in the next episode, too.
        sigpic

Comment

It's definitely not the last shock of the season.

I didn't remember the wife being pregnant, so that was especially brutal. But you had to know that the cowering wife was a prime example of just how nice of a guy he was.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Holy crap! I did not expect that until the doors closed and Catelyn got that suspicious look on her face!

Poor Grey Wind being killed too, I'd hoped Arya would have been able to free him in time. And poor Arya, being so close to her family and then discovering it was a trap and they're all killed!

I never really liked Robb, especially not after he went back on his word and married that foreign girl whose name I can't remember right now. But he did redeem himself a bit earlier in the episode when he admitted it was his fault that Winterfell had been taken because he didn't listen to his mother's advice.

But damn, I still didn't expect the slaughter although I now understand why I've seen it called a red wedding...

So, no more King of the North, no baby, no Catelynn and as far as everyone else knows, no Bran and Rickon anymore either. That only leaves Sansa, who is now married to Tyrion, as princess of the North (and now Queen?) and Princess Arya but no one knows where she is either. Let's just hope Clegane doesn't decide to now bring her back to King's Landing for a reward...

Can't help but wonder what would have happened if he hadn't been stuffing himself full of pig and instead rode out earlier to the Twins, though. Either Arya would have been killed along with her family (albeit after a happy reunion) or things might have gone different, with some or all of the Starks getting out alive. Yet another reason for Arya to hate him, I guess. If not for delaying the trip then for stopping her at the end, even though that likely would have killed her too had she tried to find them.

Oh and I was also surprised by the events in Dany's area, for a moment I feared it had been a trap and her three 'commanders' had all been killed. I'm not sure why but I even thought that maybe Jorah had either let the new pretty guy with the difficult name get killed without helping him or had maybe done it himself after the dark look he'd given him when the guy grabbed Dany's hand, but then the pretty guy came into the tent with the city's banner (?).

The one thing I found a bit odd was how Bran completely forgot about seeing/saving Jon until the last moment before he said goodbye to Rickon. I would have thought he'd share that right away after the fight had been over but it was almost as if he'd forgotten it because it wasn't that important... Now let's hope Osha and Shaggydog can bring Rickon safely to the Umbers and that they won't betray the Starks (or Rickon, as he's pretty much what's left for all they know) like Roose Bolton did.

On one hand I'm curious to see what Bran will be up to but on the other hand it's sometimes a bit boring and I don't really see the necessity of him going beyond the wall. We already know he's a warg and can even control humans like he did with Hodor, unless he's easier or special because of his mental condition... so, what else can he do beyond the wall?
            Last edited by fems; 03 June 2013, 10:47 AM.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              Holy crap! I did not expect that until the doors closed and Catelyn got that suspicious look on her face!
              I've read the books, but the big tip-off that I first noticed was when Lord Bolton told Catelyn that he'd married one of the Freys. I don't much like Catelyn/Michelle Fairley, but I have to give her some praise for the faint suspicion on her face when she realized that. Good acting, there.

So, no more King of the North, no baby, no Catelynn and as far as everyone else knows, no Bran and Rickon anymore either. That only leaves Sansa, who is now married to Tyrion, as princess of the North (and now Queen?) and Princess Arya but no one knows where she is either.
              Well, not exactly. As far as Joffrey/the Lannisters are concerned, Joffrey is the only true King of Westeros, and anyone in rebellion is just an upstart Lord. By Robb's self-declaration as King in the North that would make his siblings Princes and Princesses, but for Sansa living as a virtual prisoner of the Lannisters, she's just a Lady rather than a Princess.

the new pretty guy with the difficult name
              Daario is a difficult name?

The one thing I found a bit odd was how Bran completely forgot about seeing/saving Jon until the last moment before he said goodbye to Rickon. I would have thought he'd share that right away after the fight had been over but it was almost as if he'd forgotten it because it wasn't that important...
              That struck me as odd in the show too. I seem to recall in the books they were considerably further apart, so it made a little more sense, but yes, it seemed strange on the show.

Now let's hope Osha and Shaggydog can bring Rickon safely to the Umbers and that they won't betray the Starks (or Rickon, as he's pretty much what's left for all they know) like Roose Bolton did.
              If they stick to the books, you can pretty much forget about Osha and Rickon. They left during book 3 and, as of the end of book 5, have not yet reappeared.

Of course, they've taken a somewhat different tack with Theon with regards to the books, so maybe they'll approach Rickon differently too!

On one hand I'm curious to see what Bran will be up to but on the other hand it's sometimes a bit boring and I don't really see the necessity of him going beyond the wall. We already know he's a warg and can even control humans like he did with Hodor, unless he's easier or special because of his mental condition... so, what else can he do beyond the wall?
              Fascinating stuff
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The name sounded longer and more complicated when Dany said it because she used both first and last name, I guess. Anyway, I shall try to keep it in mind.

I do believe Tyrion or one of the other Lannisters/Small Council mentioned Sansa's importance as the sister of the King of the North, especially if he died. Not sure if they called her a princess then but they weren't outright dismissive of it, even though they assume they will win the war. There's a reason, after all, they wanted Tyrion to wed her.
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I knew what was coming but I still felt that epic feeling watching it unfold.

Check out this twitter feed for people's reactions, some entertaining posts on there

https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

One of my favourites that I've read:

"How come Rob stark is not calling in an air strike on little King Joffrey....oh wait you killed him and his mother and gutted his pregnant wife. **** you George Martin. This guy proably microwves cats in his spare time"
                  sigpic

Comment

edit: double post
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Gen. Chris; 03 June 2013, 12:39 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Martin.jpg

sigpic

Comment

All I can really think right now is OMG!

The red wedding: I can't even begin. I'm mourning Catelyn dearly, I was really hoping for a miracle there. Poor Arya, she couldn't even save Robb's wolf. I'm curious to what dog's plan for Arya is now, will he take her back to Kingslanding? He can't show up there, can he?

I was sure Daenerys was lead into a trap, but hey, surprise again. When I saw those soldiers, I was pretty sure Daario sold them out. I don't like him though, Daario.

And didn't Jon Snow recognise those wolves? Why is he off so quickly?

Comment

Ah, I see you found the same video I did. I'm suddenly reminded of how I reacted when I first read what was happening in the Red Wedding.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by damnflamingos View Post
                            And didn't Jon Snow recognise those wolves? Why is he off so quickly?
                            He might've, but he had to run off to warn the Night's Watch of the Wildling attack.

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                            Ah, I see you found the same video I did. I'm suddenly reminded of how I reacted when I first read what was happening in the Red Wedding.
                            It was the kind of thing you had to read a few times to actually grasp what was happening.

It was fun watching that video and trying to spot the book readers who knew what was coming.
                            sigpic

Comment

You guys should also check the pic in the same post (the link)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X