• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Sons (308)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON THREE
    SECOND SONS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 308
    Melisandre makes use of her new captive, while in the East Daenerys asks an army of sellswords to join her cause against Yunkai. An unwanted wedding is held at King's Landing, and Sam and Gilly encounter new dangers on the road south.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 22 May 2013, 07:54 PM.

lots of twists and turns

poor tyrion and Sansa. vicious but honorable. (poor dude is doomed)
    Cersei is not handling her 'fate' well while Margery shows just how well she can manipulate - or try to.

The gendry angle is interesting....not just for what it showed

book spoilers
    Spoiler:
    gendry has a couple of important roles still to play, and since they changed the melisandre 'sacrifice' it'll be interesting to see how he either gets back to do his other job, or who they find to do it...course it's also a major departure that he knows who he is. Thus far in the books, he's a pawn for others. now that he knows who he is, could his future be to become a more active participant and make a play for the throne?

Joff is just a little bastard isnt' he? Horrible little sadist. Something his grandpa knows and might want to manipulate but can only do so much.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Really enjoyed this episode, especially the parts with Danaerys and the last scene with Sam and the girl (does she have a name?).

Kinda figured the guy with the difficult name would choose to join Dany's army from the looks he was giving her during the talk between her and the second sons. Glad I was right about it and am looking forward to seeing how his role will develop. Hadn't expected him to necessarily kill his captains but I guess it's more practical than dividing their own army into three, if he even had such power/following.

Glad to see the dragonglass finally being used. Suspected it was going to be important from the moment Sam found it and figured it would be the only thing they'd be able to use against the White Walkers.

I do wonder, though, if the 'guy' he broke/killed (?) was one of many or if he was the same one from the earlier episode, where he seemed to be in charge of his dead army. I mean, do the WW all look the same or was it (one of) the leader(s) he broke? If the latter, then it'll be interesting to see what his 'death' will do for the rest. Then again, it is a bit stupid to come for the baby on your own, especially if you're an important leader so maybe he's just a regular WW.

Oh, and one thing that made me curious about the scene with the second sons is how Dany mentioned she didn't have her dragons a year ago. That kinda conflicts with how some people interpreted the comment Robb's wife made in the previous episode, about having tended to injuries in the war for two years.

EDIT:

Unless, of course, Dany was with Drogo for longer than I thought. I figured she'd gotten pregnant soon after their marriage and she didn't seem to be full-term yet when he and the baby died, so I assumed that had all taken place in less than a year... meaning it's been less than two years (closer to a year and a half probably) from her pov.
      Last edited by fems; 20 May 2013, 06:28 AM.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        Oh, and one thing that made me curious about the scene with the second sons is how Dany mentioned she didn't have her dragons a year ago. That kinda conflicts with how some people interpreted the comment Robb's wife made in the previous episode, about having tended to injuries in the war for two years.

EDIT:

Unless, of course, Dany was with Drogo for longer than I thought. I figured she'd gotten pregnant soon after their marriage and she didn't seem to be full-term yet when he and the baby died, so I assumed that had all taken place in less than a year... meaning it's been less than two years (closer to a year and a half probably) from her pov.
        Did Robb's wife specifically say that she had spent 2 years in tending to wounds in the current war for the iron throne or that she had been tending wounds for 2 years? I'm sure there are skirmishes taking place all over Westeros where her services could have been used.

Comment

Originally posted by boo1234 View Post
          Did Robb's wife specifically say that she had spent 2 years in tending to wounds in the current war for the iron throne or that she had been tending wounds for 2 years? I'm sure there are skirmishes taking place all over Westeros where her services could have been used.
          I don't recall her exact phrasing as I barely registered the comment until I read someone else in the previous episode's thread mention it. Back then I also figured it was just a generalization of her (perhaps she had only joined the Lannisters as a medic two years ago) but most people seem to take it as a reference of the length of the war so far.
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

The woman with the baby should be Gilly. The one that Sam met the first time they visited craster's hold.

I dont' think Robb has been in rebellion for two years, rather the girl had been binding wounds for that long. Sansa said she was 14. I can't recall her age when she went to King's Landing but she wasn't a 12 year old. I want to think that it took 6 months or so for Ned Stark's bones to be returned. And Dany got her dragons at the end of season one, so it's been roughly a year since the end of season one.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, had forgotten Gilly was her name.

I believe Sansa was 13 at the time. Wasn't it mentioned in the pilot or whenever Robert came to Winterfell and he and Ned talked about them supposed to have been family now (through Ned's sister and Robert's marriage) and then Robert said it wasn't too late yet and suggested marrying their kids. Ned objected because Sansa was so young but Robert said they'd marry when they were of age... unless I'm confusing it with the book (in which she's 11) now, since I've recently read the first book.
              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Another great episode . I'm not sure who is going to come out on top in the battle between Cersei and Margery. Margery is clever but I think she has more than a match in Cersei.
                Joffery showed once again his nasty side, did he kill that red prostitute ( previous espisode )because he was under the impression she was Tyrions lover or he wanted to torture someone to death.
                I thought the guy from the second sons would join Dany but didn't expect him to kill the other two. Quite glad he did though.
                sigpic

Comment

Was slightly boring, although I suspect it's merely buildup for the usual big event that happens in Episode 9 of every season so far.

Needs more Stannis and Team Dragonstone.
                  Tst

Comment

Really enjoyed this episode, especially the parts with Danaerys and the last scene with Sam and the girl (does she have a name?).

Glad to see the dragonglass finally being used. Suspected it was going to be important from the moment Sam found it and figured it would be the only thing they'd be able to use against the White Walkers.

I do wonder, though, if the 'guy' he broke/killed (?) was one of many or if he was the same one from the earlier episode, where he seemed to be in charge of his dead army. I mean, do the WW all look the same or was it (one of) the leader(s) he broke? If the latter, then it'll be interesting to see what his 'death' will do for the rest. Then again, it is a bit stupid to come for the baby on your own, especially if you're an important leader so maybe he's just a regular WW.
                    Actually i just really want sam and that girl dead. She looks and talks like incest and both in my mind have no right to live.

Also, sam apparently leaves the dagger on the ground which denies them a great weapon against the whitewalkers.

By the way: yes it was the guy from earlier, although i don't think he was the only one. The whitewalkers do not really seem to have a leadership so far.

EDIT:

I think the two year comment means that she's been a medic for two years, or that she's been an army medic for two years. Since people do get injured in practice and they can get sick in general, i think that's more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

Also, sam apparently leaves the dagger on the ground which denies them a great weapon against the whitewalkers.
                      Yeah, how could he do that? It illustrates how useless he is very well though.

I'm really enjoying the show but am sometimes having a hard time caring for some of the minor characters, there are so many characters it's getting kind of distracting. I do love how no one is safe. When they killed off Ned Stark I really knew it was risky to fall in love with characters.

I can't wait to see how Sansa's marriage will progress. And if Joffrey will leave her alone.

Comment

Working...
                      X