• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kissed By Fire (305)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON THREE
    KISSED BY FIRE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 305
    The Hound is judged by combat with Beric Dondarrion, while Jon Snow is forced to prove himself to his new friends. As Jaime and Brienne arrive at Harrenhal, Rob is forced to pass judgment on one of his own lords. Stannis speaks with his family, and Sansa weighs her options for the future, unaware that her fate may be out of her hands.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 08 May 2013, 09:14 PM.

Very well written episode. The fight between the Hound and Beric was really well done (I liked that they went with the fiery sword).

I think the highlight was Jaime (Nikolaj Coster Waldau) for sure. The actor is doing an amazing job this season and that scene was probably one of the best acted in the entire series. Blew it out of the water (no pun intended)!
    Plus now everyone knows how he got his nickname. And when he poses the question to Brienne (what she would have done), I think it will really get people thinking about his true character.

Arya's torments continue. She is now going to be all alone after Gendry stays behind. The part where she asks Berric if people who lost their heads could be brought back to life like him was so touching.
    sigpic

Comment

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of actual action in this episode but perhaps I've been spoiled with previous eps.

Wasn't very impressed with the stuff about Jon Snow and his wildling girl (Egrid or something?) and got bored, as usual, with Robb's scenes. He really isn't all that different from Joffrey in that he doesn't listen to those around him when they give him (good) advice and just does whatever he wants and then whines about the consequences.

The sword fight was okay and even though I really dislike the Hound, I enjoyed seeing him overcome his fear of fire and beat Beric (?). The thing with the sword being on fire was pretty cool as well and at first I thought he must have used wildfire for it, but that should be green then and the Hound wouldn't have been able to put it out then. The sword breaking was something I was expecting, since I doubt it's good for swords to be set on fire like that while using it in a sword fight.

The Arya part about that scene was well done and very emotional, both with her determination the Hound had to pay and her moment with Gendry. Oh and her brief conversation with the fire priest was good too, in particular how it showed her intelligence/understanding of the situation about her being a hostage. She comes across as way more mature and intelligent than Sansa ever has.

Also enjoyed the scenes between Jaime and Brienne, thought it was written and executed perfectly (although I couldn't help but wonder how Jaime was supposed to wash his left shoulder). I'm still a bit wary of him and normally don't really take his word for anything but it seems like Brienne somehow makes him want to open up and/or be a better person, which is a good thing. I haven't read the books so I'm not aware of his backstory but he did once mention how Cersei was the only woman he'd been with if I'm not mistaken, which makes me wonder how exactly their relationship came to be and in how far Jaime has been manipulated by his father and sister all these years (with the effect being him becoming an unlikable man).

Oh and the thing with the stump was great and gruesome too! I was eating lunch at the time and had to put my sandwich down for a moment with all those closeups!

Can't say I'm surprised by yet another plan to marry off Sansa and thought it was very unfair of Tywin to 'order' Tyrion to wed her, especially over Tyrion's objections. The latter, however, do make me like him even more, especially with him arguing about her being a nice girl who's been mistreated by Joffrey from day one and how she's just still a child! I can't help but wonder how Shae (and Sansa, of course) will react to the news...

I was also feeling the urge to strangle Cersie during her gloating and yet I found myself sympathizing with her as well when Tywin made it clear she's supposed to marry Loras and have more kids with him. I really can't stand the manipulative nature of Cersei but I have to compliment the actress on playing her so well that I can actually feel sympathy for her in certain moments.

The scene between Sansa and Little Finger was a bit creepy to me, because I got the feeling LF had other plans for her than simply taking her back to her brother/mother/Winterfell and might just force her to marry him to secure the North for himself and because of his obsession with Sansa's mother. I don't know though if that would be possible? For her to marry someone without the approval of her parents/guardians because she's only 14, whereas all the other marriages seem to be arranged by parents and will take place when the kids are "of age", whenever that might be. It's not the same as with Joffrey since the Starks had initially agreed with that.

What else, what else...

Oh, the brief scene with Daenerys was very good as well. I liked how the Unsullied thought their names were honorable because it was the name they had when she freed them, although it also made me sad to hear they feel the names their parents gave them were unworthy (or whatever he said, I don't recall the specifics) because they were taken as slaves then. It gave me the impression they were also resentful towards their parents for allowing them to take the boys as slaves but I guess that's to be expected after everything they've gone through.

Also enjoyed the moment between Jorah and Barristan, with the former trying to find out how much the latter knew about his status as a former spy for the Small Council/Varys. Not too sure about Jorah's attitude towards Barristan in the end though, with him once again reminding the knight that he has only arrived a few days ago (although this does help with the timeline for viewers) and that he has no right to speak of 'our' etc. Hopefully Barristan doesn't let Jorah scare him off and continues to be loyal to Daenerys and maybe even take revenge on Joffrey for treating him so badly.

I think that's about it, can't recall what other scenes I may have forgotten about already. Again, it wasn't a very suspenseful episode, although it was somewhat informative and obviously necessary.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

No one else has an opinion on this episode?
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          No one else has an opinion on this episode?
          This is how I feel sometimes, when a couple of days pass before anyone comments.

I thought it was a good episode.

Also, this made me lol

207175_584028738294083_775478696_n.jpg
          sigpic

Comment

The look on Cersei's face when she learned that she was going to be married off to Loras was priceless! Especially since she had that evil smirk on her face when Tyrion was learning of his betrothal.

Comment

She hated her marriage to robert. slept with him only when she had to and enjoyed the fact that he was often so drunk he couldn't accomplish anything when he did try to sleep with her. She used Jamie to make heirs. So it was a nice comeuppance to her.

One thing that I thought was funny....the nudity warning at the beginning...so the name of the episode should be bath time, cause everyone was scrubbing up.

I like Jamie and Brienne, trusting each other despite their loathing of each other. And I think Jamie likes someone that treats him like him and isn't all 'kingslayer, wow'. He did what was the right act at the time, and has been castigated and celebrated for it for years...at the same time likely seduced by his sister and used by his father. He's not used to the honesty, and kinda likes it.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It took me sometime top get round to watching this episode with work getting in the way.
                Finally saw it today.
                Was a good episode best part was the development of Jaimie and Brienne also his character background, so now he isnt such abad guy.
                Robb is beginning to annoy me as he has stopped listening to good advice.
                Arya still has her rage shown by her still reciting names.
                Thought the scene where Cersei was smirking at Tyrion fate then had it wiped of her face when she learned of her own funny until she asked not to be made todo it again. And I remembered she was given away without agreement to breed the first time.
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, she was 'sold to the highest bidder' to Robert.

one thing she doesn't realize, yes, both she and her father loathe Tyrion (unfairly due to his simple existance) but she and jamie are nothing more than Tyrion is to Dad, a pawn. A resource in his quest for power.

He'd sell his kids to the devil if it got him closer to the throne.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It will be interesting to see how Tywin treats Jaimee when he learns that he only has one hand. Think he will look at him as no longer useful.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X