• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Now His Watch is Ended (304)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON THREE
    AND NOW HIS WATCH IS ENDED
    EPISODE NUMBER - 304
    While Jaime finds himself helpless at the hands of Bolton's men, in King's Landing Varys and Lady Olenna discuss their mutual interests and the fate of Sansa Stark. Nerves fray as the Night's Watch stops to recover at Craster's, while Theon must place his trust in a helpful stranger. Arya meets the leader of the Brotherhood, and Daenerys makes her exit from Astapor.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 25 April 2013, 08:08 PM.

I loved the scene at the end....even though I remembered daenerys speaking valerian, i didn't totallyh remember it. and the slavemaster got his tush handed to him.

I remember watching, kinda distracted by the laptop, but looking up as the dragons did their job and going 'dang, it's over?'
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Best episode of the season so far... lots of things I liked:

The scene with Varys and Tyrion.
      Lady Olenna telling Varys he couldn't sit down and her rambling about the stupid gold rose and house words.
      Brienne and Jaime ... loved
      The Daenerys storyline at the end.. epic!
      I'm glad there wasn't any Jon Snow and the wildlings ... I can't really get into that plot.

Comment

I did read up on Daenerys between the last episode and this one so I was expecting what happened, but I did enjoy expecting it!

I suppose they couldn't devote too much of the episode to this awesome event (she is awesome), but I think they did it well even so.

Comment

Terrific episode!

Lady Olenna was amusing, especially towards Varys and I hope the two of them have good intentions towards Sansa (although I do find her annoying).

Jaime's hand was really creeping me out, the way it was just hanging around his neck the whole time (but at least it still looked good) and how the camera focused on it. I am also enjoying his 'friendship' with Brienne and can't help but wonder if the two of them will end up together somehow, as unlikely as the pairing seems.

Arya is still one of my favorites and I loved how she accused the hound of murdering the butcher boy and wasn't afraid to speak up in spite of being a prisoner.

I was a bit shocked at what happened with the Night's Watch but at the same time it wasn't all that surprising considering the behavior of late, the weather, the men's conditions and the fact that they seem to have a lot of criminals in their midst. I haven't read the books but I do wonder if the number of criminals (and I mean the dangerous ones, like rapists and murderers etc) is normal or if it is especially high now with the "good" or experienced ones having been killed by the White Walkers/wildlings and thus their need for more men, which were taken from the prisons and all the other young/capable men (non-criminals) being at war... If not, and this is normal, then I'm surprised an uprising like this hasn't happened before. It's not like the men seemed really disciplined or anything, but I guess it's possible their training was cut short because of the threat of the White Walkers and wildlings on the other side of the wall. I do, however, fear for all Craster's daughters now that the men of the unsavory ones of the Night's Watch have free run at Craster's place.

I absolutely loved everything with Daenerys and was kinda expecting her to use the dragon against Kraznys. Also figured that she could understand everything he was saying during the earlier negotiations because of the way she held herself and she presumably translated what Missandei said to her ("all men must die"). But I hadn't expected the scale of her plan and thought it was executed brilliantly. I wonder what Jorah and Barristan thought of her actions and how she basically went back on her word and betrayed Kraznys and all the other slave masters present. Loved the dragon too. The last scene, with her riding her horse, followed by 8.000 (free) Unsullied and her three dragons flying above her was very impressive. I do wonder if they'll all fit on her boat though and whether she's going to need a fleet now and if someone is still willing to trade with her, after learning of her actions at Astapor.

I think I may have a girl crush on Daenerys as I found her intriguing right away and only grew fonder of her. At first (somewhere early season two, I think, I watched all the episodes so far within a week) I was rooting for both Daenerys and Rob/the Starks but I find Rob so annoying now that I think I might just be rooting for just Daenerys. And Arya, but she's not really fighting a war.

Was very happy that there wasn't anything about Rob in the episode, as I've grown to dislike him. Probably starting around the time he went back on his word, ignored his mother's words and married that healer chick whom I still don't trust.

I do like John Snow though, but am not too fond of the direction he's been taken into so I wasn't really sad to see nothing of him and the Wildlings. I do wonder though, if they'll reach the Wall before the Night's Watch men do, unless they all go rogue and don't return. Except for Sam, maybe, if he and Gilly and the baby manage to get away (but go where?).
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Thoughts on the episode:

Good to see some remorse from Theon. I've always liked his character...he has been in a crappy situation for so long...and when he talked about how his "true father" lost his head at King's Landing...It was a good scene.

The reveal of Daenarys' ability to speak and understand Valyrian was awesome. The look on everyone's faces was priceless I already about it, but it is a nice reveal regardless. I wish more of the battle could have been shown but the point behind it was made well enough.

Varys' scenes were great.

Pretty much a great episode overall.
            sigpic

Comment

Dany continues her bad*** ways. Epic ending to a great episode.

I think this episode is also an example of the great writing in the books and on the show. You have characters like Jaime and Theon who you would never think to sympathize with, yet slowly but surely, you begin to anyway. And it truly shows that there are barely any "good" or "bad" characters here, just a whole lot of gray.
              sigpic

Comment

Jamie's learning a hard lesson, first 'daddy' can't always get him out of things, and second that sometimes the best people are hidden from plain view. normal 'perfect' jamie would have been right in on the 'teasing' of brienne. but he's seeing another side of her. She's also learning that not everyone is hateful and mean.
                Margery takes steps to win over and control Joff, much to Cersei's chagrin.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post

I think this episode is also an example of the great writing in the books and on the show. You have characters like Jaime and Theon who you would never think to sympathize with, yet slowly but surely, you begin to anyway. And it truly shows that there are barely any "good" or "bad" characters here, just a whole lot of gray.
                  I have actually always sympathized with Theon cause of the position he was in...his father was likely going to go to war whether Theon joined in or not. By law, Theon would have had to be killed due to the oath Balon made. Whether Robb would have actually done it or nor, Theon was in an impossible position.
                  sigpic

Comment

Beyond Arya, Bran, Rickon and Sansa, Theon is largely a victim in all this, or he at least starts this way. His fate is controlled by the decisions of others. Then once he gets dragged into it, his decisions do control or send him along his way and fate that he's put into play

Theon was doomed, no matter what. He was sent away as a child, as others have said, as a hostage. Tolerated by his hosts who were just doing their duty, hated by his father because he symbolized a lose. With a little maturity and guidance he could have learned that no matter what he did, it wouldn't be good enough. His father would always hate him. But he didn't know/realize that so tried to earn his father's acceptance...without knowing it was an impossible task.

sigpic

Comment

Because A Storm of Swords was such a long book, Dany's storyline unfolded gradually. But with a 10-episode season format, her exit strategy from Astapor came to fruition quickly to me. As she and her new army marched out in glorious fashion, I thought, "Wow, she's leaving Astapor already." I then realized that the season is almost half over already, and they have so much ground to cover.

Theon has been trying to fit into a culture and house that he clearly doesn't belong to. Having experienced something like that in real life, I can't help but feel a tiny sliver of sympathy, despite everything that he's done. One minor nitpick about his current plot line is that the show seems ambiguous about whether he's being held in Winterfell's dungeons, or at the Dreadfort, House Bolton's seat of power. I know it's the latter but the scenery doesn't really reveal that.

I must say I'm impressed by the casting of Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion. He has a wonderful voice and I'm very happy to see him in the role.
                      sigpic

Comment

The show (and books) do such a great job at making us feel sympathy toward characters who are, for the most part, antagonists. Jaime -- especially this episode -- is the example par excellence.

But Theon ... Theon ... It's nice to see some contrition on his part, and an acknowledgment that Ned Stark was more of a true father to him, I'm not to sympathy yet. Let's not forget Season Two. I'm cheering when he gets torturered, misled, betrayed, and torturered again. Please, please, let's get some more gratuitous shots of Theon getting screws turned into his feet.
                        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

This eposode had me fixed from start to finish.
                          Felt sympathy for Jaime and I agree with Fems the hand creeped me out as well .
                          Didn't really feel much sympathy for Theon as I still dont like his character much.
                          Loved the gold rose rant.
                          But the best scene has to be the end knew she wouldn't give away one of her dragons.
                          The night watch scene was a bit of a shock did not see that coming and was quite shocked.
                          sigpic

Comment

Personally, I don't believe that Grey is the end all and be all. If that were the case Anubis was Grey in Stargate (Did help out SG-1 directly or indirectly at times). In fact, unless they are 100% cartoon evil, no one on earth is black or white nor anything in existence is black or white be it an actual person or an abstract concept.

Jaime was straight up black, his actions were black. He was willing to go through any lengths to protect his own selfish interests (like killing children). What is going on now, is that he is moving into the grey area by showing some growth. He is learning from his experience a lot of things he never thought about, like selflessly intervening for someone else. He is finding out that life is more than just his personal ambitions.

Joffery is also black, the Queen is black, Papa Lanister is black, the slaver that got burnned was black. Dany I think is white but seems to flirt with grey a whole lot as of late. Ned Stark was straight up whiter than snow adn the night's watch seems to be more grey than anything.

That's what I am liking about this series, you're never just one thing your whole life. People shift through the spectrum depending on where they are. That's also why I am enjoying Jaime's story right now, Dany's story as she continues to flirt with being grey, and so on.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

Personally, I don't believe that Grey is the end all and be all. If that were the case Anubis was Grey in Stargate (Did help out SG-1 directly or indirectly at times). In fact, unless they are 100% cartoon evil, no one on earth is black or white nor anything in existence is black or white be it an actual person or an abstract concept.

Jaime was straight up black, his actions were black. He was willing to go through any lengths to protect his own selfish interests (like killing children). What is going on now, is that he is moving into the grey area by showing some growth. He is learning from his experience a lot of things he never thought about, like selflessly intervening for someone else. He is finding out that life is more than just his personal ambitions.

Joffery is also black, the Queen is black, Papa Lanister is black, the slaver that got burnned was black. Dany I think is white but seems to flirt with grey a whole lot as of late. Ned Stark was straight up whiter than snow adn the night's watch seems to be more grey than anything.

That's what I am liking about this series, you're never just one thing your whole life. People shift through the spectrum depending on where they are. That's also why I am enjoying Jaime's story right now, Dany's story as she continues to flirt with being grey, and so on.
                              I understand what you are saying, but this was a very interesting way to say it. I guess I've just never been all that sure about color coding actions is all.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X