• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walk of Punishment (303)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON THREE
    WALK OF PUNISHMENT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 303
    Pursued by the Wildlings the Rangers of the Night’s Watch return to a familiar hold. Daenerys makes the slaver Karznys an offer he cannot refuse, Tyrion is given a new appointment, and Catelyn and Robb travel to Riverrun to lay her father to rest.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 21 April 2013, 09:45 PM.

rotflolol

'we're going to need details podrick, copious details'

best part of the whole episode
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

This episode was great it had a mix of hilarious and super sad scenes. The Podrick, Tyrion and Bronn scene was hilarious.

I also liked how they played that happy up tempo song Bear and the Maiden Fair right after Jaime gets his hand chopped off. It made the scene both chilling and kind of funny.

What they're doing with Theon's storyline is interesting...
      Spoiler:
      I wonder how sadistic they will portray Ramsay in the show. Right now all the non-book readers are praising the cute kid who saved Theon...lol
      sigpic

Comment

I like what they're doing with Theon's story as well.
        Spoiler:
        It's not at all how I pictured Ramsay. I think it makes it more interesting/surprising(especially for non book readers) that they picked such an attractive looking guy to play such a monster. I hope they keep him as sadistic as he is in the books.

I liked that scene in the council chamber with Tywin. Tyrion dragging the chair was kinda funny.
        The scene where Tyrion and Bron ask Podrick for details was funny too.
        sigpic

Comment

Theon
          Spoiler:
          Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't his whole situation not described? Doesn't he just vanish from the books, only to reappear as, well you know who, later on? I seem to recall his whole fate being a bit of a revelation

sigpic

Comment

Theon
            Spoiler:
            Yeah, I think he goes missing after what happened at Winterfell until the Reek chapters in Bk 5, where he thinks about some of the things that happened to him while with Ramsay. I guess it's easier to show(on the tv series) what happens to him while it's happening, instead of just leaving it up in the air and having flashbacks later in the series.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              Theon
              Spoiler:
              Yeah, I think he goes missing after what happened at Winterfell until the Reek chapters in Bk 5, where he thinks about some of the things that happened to him while with Ramsay. I guess it's easier to show(on the tv series) what happens to him while it's happening, instead of just leaving it up in the air and having flashbacks later in the series.
              Spoiler:

Plus that would involve releasing Alfie Allen for a while, which could have become problematic.
              sigpic

Comment

theon

Spoiler:
                so.....the writers of the show can pretty much make it up.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                  Spoiler:

Plus that would involve releasing Alfie Allen for a while, which could have become problematic.
                  Spoiler:
                  Yeah, it would have probably been too long a time to let the actor go for. I think it would have also been kind of weird to have the character completely off screen until they get up to the events of book 5. It's fine for a book series, but I think it's too long a time for a tv show, especially one that has so much going on, and with the character having changed so much.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  theon

Spoiler:
                  so.....the writers of the show can pretty much make it up.

Spoiler:
                  Yep. There is some stuff that is described that they could use, but they can make stuff up or change what's there, so that Theon has more to do. The scene from this episode is kind of similar to one described in the book. In the book, Theon mentions a point where he escapes with some woman, but it ended up being a game Ramsay was playing. He'd let them escape; let them think that they had gotten away, so he could hunt them down and torture them later. That could be something else that happens later on the tv series though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Considering what he did to Bran, he had it coming, but I kind of felt bad for Jamie because he ended up saving Brienne but he took her place in the way of experiencing their brutality. I wonder, if he didn't stop them from abusing her would he still have lost his hand? I don't know if I'm really off base or what, but I kind of hope he and Brienne end up together.

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                    This episode was great it had a mix of hilarious and super sad scenes. The Podrick, Tyrion and Bronn scene was hilarious.

I also liked how they played that happy up tempo song Bear and the Maiden Fair right after Jaime gets his hand chopped off. It made the scene both chilling and kind of funny.

What they're doing with Theon's storyline is interesting...
                    Spoiler:
                    I wonder how sadistic they will portray Ramsay in the show. Right now all the non-book readers are praising the cute kid who saved Theon...lol
                    That scene was funny. I love how Tyrion pours him a glass of wine to loosen him up for the telling. I just hope Podrick stays his great, wonderful, self and doesn't end up too "conditioned" by Tyrion and Bronn.

On Theon
                    Spoiler:
                    Oh, I thought he'd gotten away. I thought the guy that was going to rape him was Ramsey, and even he was too attractive to be the character based off of the character description I read. The guy Theon rode off with was even better looking than that. It's hard for me to believe it's Ramsey. I thought this was something they'd changed. But now that I think about it, I do remember the camera focusing on Theon's fingers in the episode, like foreshadowing what's to come. I know what Theon did was wrong, but what I read about happening to him seemed so awful.

sigpic

Comment

Theon
                      Spoiler:

the bad thing about theon, yes, he did a bad thing, but then spared the boys. he's a young man struggling to be a 'man' and prove himself to his father, who will never think he's good enough. But he lacks the ability to see that. So he blusters and tries to impress, but lacks the skill to really accomplish anything. the way out of his situation may have been to say 'oh, you know I spared the boys' but he can't do that, and would it be good enough anyway?

He tried to go out on his own to prove himself, and just couldn't do it

sigpic

Comment

rotflolol

'we're going to need details podrick, copious details'

best part of the whole episode
                        Yes! I laughed my behind off at that

Another solid episode, and I think better than last week's, which I found a touch slow. I also found it kind of amusing that this weekend's Doctor Who featured Liam Cunningham (Ser Davos), while this weekend's Game of Thrones introduced Tobias Menzies, who was also in this weekend's Doctor Who I'm also going to point out that Menzies (Edmure Tully) also played Brutus in HBO's Rome--the same series in which Ciaran Hinds (Mance Rayder) played Caesar!

Getting back on subject though, I think it's interesting they're addressing Theon already in this season. If I'm recalling the books correctly, he kind of disappeared at the end of book 2 and didn't show up again till book 4. I'm wondering if they're going to tell the same story, or if they'll change it up for the show.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          Getting back on subject though, I think it's interesting they're addressing Theon already in this season. If I'm recalling the books correctly, he kind of disappeared at the end of book 2 and didn't show up again till book 4. I'm wondering if they're going to tell the same story, or if they'll change it up for the show.
                          Seems like they will be changing a few details just to make it work for the show. I think the same thing is happening with some of the other characters like Robb, as in the books you only hear about what he's doing but don't actually see him. The big difference being Theon is a POV character so it'll be interesting to see what else they'll be doing.
                          sigpic

Comment

Like folks have speculated up above, and keep an eye on book details, but while it's easy to write a character out of a book for a few hundred pages, you gotta keep actors on the payroll, and if you're gonna pay them, might as well use them. (honestly I have to wonder if GRRM kinda forgot about him, then brought him back when he needed the plot device)

One of the many compromises made to make a book work on TV

sigpic

Comment

Theon
                              Spoiler:

the bad thing about theon, yes, he did a bad thing, but then spared the boys. he's a young man struggling to be a 'man' and prove himself to his father, who will never think he's good enough. But he lacks the ability to see that. So he blusters and tries to impress, but lacks the skill to really accomplish anything. the way out of his situation may have been to say 'oh, you know I spared the boys' but he can't do that, and would it be good enough anyway?

He tried to go out on his own to prove himself, and just couldn't do it
                              On Theon
                              Spoiler:
                              Yeah, that's how I feel about it too. Even though he's done some bad things, he's a victim caught in between 2 worlds where he would never really fit in either one. He was a well treated prisoner, pretty much most of his life. He was raised with the Stark children, but like Jon Snow, he was never allowed to forget that he wasn't one of them. And even Jon had the knowledge that he was informally a Stark, and the kindness of his father (outside of Cat's sight) as a comfort. Theon had none of that.

When he goes home, he's treated like dirt because just the sight of him reminds his father of his failures and he was never raised there, so he reeks "foreigner" in his native lands. It's just sad. I think he never really had someone there to really raise him up to be a man. Ned Stark wasn't going to invest in his enemy's child like that, even though he was kind to him, and really there was no one else around who could teach Theon how to be a leader, so he had to kind make it up as he went and misstep along the way. I think his father sent him out with a task too soon without spending any time with him. And then the torture... It's just sad.

I hope someone catches Ramsey and hsi punishment ends up being his crimes. He's just awful. Sorry to write a book, but I just think those are things that shouldn't happen to anyone, even criminals. I'm of the belief that how we treat people says something about us. I mean, I thought Joffrey was really bad until I read about Ramsey.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X