• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valar Dohaeris (301)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON THREE
    VALAR DOHAERIS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 301
    With a new threat rising north of the Wall Jon infiltrates the wildlings camp, where he is brought to Mance Rayder. Tyrion petitions his father in King's Landing, while Sansa looks for a way to escape once and for all. Ser Davos makes his way back to Dragonstone with a vendetta, and Daenerys takes her people to purchase an army in Astapor.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 04 April 2013, 09:59 PM.

Seemed a bit early to reintroduce Barristan to me, but perhaps I am wrong. They seemed to jump ahead quite a bit with Daenarys...Perhaps in an attempt to make her story a bit better?

Noticeable absence of the rest of the Starks and Varys, but otherwise a decent setup episode.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
      Seemed a bit early to reintroduce Barristan to me, but perhaps I am wrong. They seemed to jump ahead quite a bit with Daenarys...Perhaps in an attempt to make her story a bit better?

Noticeable absence of the rest of the Starks and Varys, but otherwise a decent setup episode.
      I think you're right about Barristan, but if I recall correctly there is A LOT of content in the book at this point. I'm not surprised they skipped over several parts to speed up the process. Also they are adding in extra parts, like Margaery and Robb, who are basically characters we never see in the books at this point, we only hear about them.

I'm assuming the next episode will focus on Arya and Brianne/Jamie.

Just from watching this first episode I can tell they had a bigger budget this season. This is a good sign, and hopefully it only goes up from here!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
        I think you're right about Barristan, but if I recall correctly there is A LOT of content in the book at this point. I'm not surprised they skipped over several parts to speed up the process. Also they are adding in extra parts, like Margaery and Robb, who are basically characters we never see in the books at this point, we only hear about them.

I'm assuming the next episode will focus on Arya and Brianne/Jamie.

Just from watching this first episode I can tell they had a bigger budget this season. This is a good sign, and hopefully it only goes up from here!
        Indeed. The bigger budget is nice.

That shot with Sansa looking out over the water was a nice one.

And yeah, I forgot to mention Brianne and Jaime missing too.
        sigpic

Comment

I loved the first episode and it reminded how much I actually missed A Song of Ice and Fire...

...did they explained why they called the show Game of Thrones and not A Song of Ice and Fire? I still think it was a mistake.

But my favorite part was Daenerys with the translator, that was awesome. I think they understood what the man had said.

I just finished the first two books so I am not sure what they are changing because I do not want to know the story before I watch the show. I am just glad that one of the most awesome shows on air is back !
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
            I loved the first episode and it reminded how much I actually missed A Song of Ice and Fire...

...did they explained why they called the show Game of Thrones and not A Song of Ice and Fire? I still think it was a mistake.

But my favorite part was Daenerys with the translator, that was awesome. I think they understood what the man had said.

I just finished the first two books so I am not sure what they are changing because I do not want to know the story before I watch the show. I am just glad that one of the most awesome shows on air is back !
            I would of recommended reading the books so far before watching the show. Some things will be revealed in season 3 that weren't revealed until book 5 purely due to the realities of it being a tv show.
            A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post

I think that for people that haven't read the books, it makes more sense because you are literally watching a "Game of Thrones" where different kings/queens on their thrones are all fighting to be The King or The Queen of it all. A song of fire and ice just doesn't seem as catching as a name for a series. That's my guess.

I'm glad the awesomeness is back too! I really enjoyed the first episode this season, and I just loved Margery seeing the orphaned children and you can really tell now why the Tyrells are rich and have loyal subjects as opposed to Joffrey/Cersei/the Lannisters and how they'd let the commoners starve. You can hardly be surprised when they want to kill and harm you if that's how you treat them and then expect their loyalty in return. I'm not sure if Margery did what she did out of genuine caring or purely as a political move, but it was the right thing to do regardless. Great episode!

sigpic

Comment

I think it's kinda like Legend of the Seeker kind of deal, because The Sword of Truth wasnt Broard enough for a t.v show, i think the same is with Game of Thrones

Good set up for the rest of the season, are they trying to humanise Joffrey a little bit? he just seemed abit different in this one, idk maybe i'll just wait until he does something to piss me off

Sansa Didn't seem so annoying this episode either

I too think that Jamie Lannister/Brianne & Arya Stark will be the focus of the next episode
                Last edited by mr_kennedy; 02 April 2013, 01:45 AM.
                Last Movie Watched
                X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                Life is Strange

Comment

Just finished watching the first ep of season 3. OMG how I missed them all! I liked the start with the giant and Jon *hehe*. Hopeful to see more from that frozen world beyond the Wall.
                  Therion - or better the only likeable Lannister! My, I cannot say how much I wished to kick Tywin's backside. Tyrion risked his life for this little bastard Joffrey ... Lannister! So typical Lannister! *and I really wish Tyrion will grab Bronn and Shae and move away before he really get killed*.
                  I think this Slavemaster-Guy's days on their world are counted. Seriously, I half expected to see someone running to Danearys and Jorah to tell them, someone has burned that guy to death. The dragons are really fast growing no, btw ... Was surprised how big they are now.
                  And poor Stannis *rolls eyes*. Don't spoil me as I still haven't managed to read (or listen to) the books, but please tell me someone he will get killed somewhere in the near future - best scenario together with his fire-witch. Yeah, sure, she had managed to save all those men's lifes. I'm not trusting this woman for a second!
                  Only one thing bugged me seriously: Sansa acting again like a little girl. Hello! Last season she was awesome and now she's again playing silly games? WTF? She should team up with Tyrion and his gang and leave King's Landing as fast as possible!

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                  Sig & Avi by Josi
                  sigpic
                  LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                  I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
                    And poor Stannis *rolls eyes*. Don't spoil me as I still haven't managed to read (or listen to) the books, but please tell me someone he will get killed somewhere in the near future - best scenario together with his fire-witch. Yeah, sure, she had managed to save all those men's lifes. I'm not trusting this woman for a second!
                    Only one thing bugged me seriously: Sansa acting again like a little girl. Hello! Last season she was awesome and now she's again playing silly games? WTF? She should team up with Tyrion and his gang and leave King's Landing as fast as possible!
                    Can't tell you anything about Stannis, that will be spoiling .

As for Sansa, I think that is part of her being a bit more relaxed now that she doesn't have to marry Joffrey. Yes, she is still not safe, but she does not have to be his wife. I'd be a little more like my old self with THAT off my shoulders.
                    sigpic

Comment

Margery is a very calculating character. She wants to be queen. ANd she'll do whatever it takes to be queen, including mounting a PR campaign.

Sansa is a bit more relaxed, but also very aware of how precarious a situation she's in. Like someone said to her last season 'just cause he's not marrying you doesn't mean you're safe, it just means instead of legit babies he'll put bastards in your belly'...Joff is the king, he can shag whomever he wants. She both wants and needs to leave, but has to be very, very careful. Cause if anyone gets wind of it, she'll be locked up. first and foremost she's a hostage.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I recently got several friends into the show and the number one thing they ask is why Sansa doesn't take opportunities presented to her to escape, such as The Hound. I have to tell them that it isn't obvious (compared to the book) where she thinks everything is a test. Answer wrongly, and she's gone.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah. They don't cover it in the show but Joffrey had a habit of tweaking people, tests, mental games, etc.

That whole 'i'm so lucky to be his betrothed' they mentioned a few times last season. She learned to say what she had to say to stay alive.

And would 'you' trust LittleFinger? The dude would betray his own mother to get ahead. The only loyalty he feels to sansa is due to Cat, and even that is tenuous. With Joff, say the wrong thing or use the wrong tone of voice and he'll have you tortured to death.

sigpic

Comment

I just thought of something...

I know I'm not the only one disappointed by the lack of scenes showing the Battle at the Fist. Hell, I would have been satisfied with them just showing snippets of it cutting back and forth between the battle and clips of black (I think you know what I mean). But we got nothing but some sounds of battle. Even with the increased budget (I'm assuming), we will always miss out on some important battles. The Battle at the Fist is supposed to feel like a massacre...A full quarter of the manpower of the Nights Watch, mostly Rangers, were wiped out at this battle, and it really impacts later events. But it just didn't feel like it (I'm sure it will go more in-depth later, but still). I'm sure the later events we know is coming will make up for it, but dammit if that wasn't a disappointment after waiting a whole year to see what happens...

Now here's my idea...And it involves Kickstarter. I know I know, enough about that, it won't work for most shows...That's not what this is about. I'm not asking for more episodes or a movie. I'm saying that a kickstarter could help get some of these scenes that are important into the series. I know it's too late for season 3 where (I believe) most of the events from Book 3 that could benefit from a Kickstarter. But that doesn't mean it couldn't help later seasons. 4.4 million people (legally) watched the series last night, with a further million or so that pirated it. Add in more people who either missed it or are choosing to wait until until it airs in their home country rather than downloading, and there are many millions of fans.

Say, for example, the producers started a campaign to say that there are several scenes/events they would wish to accurately portray and they need x amount of additional money on top of their HBO budget in order to film it/them. The campaign would probably EASILY make up for the budget shortfall with all the millions of fans. Even if half only offered a buck each that would still be a substantial amount of money that could be put towards perfecting or even creating a scene, and I'm sure others would offer more.

The only problems I could see with this is that people would not be willing to offer money unless they knew what they were buying. For people who have read the books, no problem..for others, how could you tell them without spoiling? The other problem with this would be HBO potentially shorting the production on purpose in order to make us make up the difference so they don't have to pay more. The final issue could be people not liking what they pay for once they see the end result...

Regardless, if this could potentially be pulled off I know I would be more than willing to offer up a few bucks to see some scenes properly made. I doubt this would ever happen, but it would still be nice.

That is all.

/procrastination from writing papers.
                            sigpic

Comment

Given the location, I'm willing to bet that the battle of the fist was scaled down due to weather or the difficulty of getting people to Iceland/Greenland (can't recall where they are), the difficulty of the remoteness of that location and could very well have just been impossible to film.

I don't support any kickstarter. First, HBO has billions and are making billions off the show. Second, my bigger issue isn't missing 'every' scene but hoping they have a plan to finish the story should GRRM procrastinate finishing the story to the point that it never gets done.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X