• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hide (3310/710)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SERIES 33
    HIDE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3310 (710)
    Clara and the Doctor visit the haunted Caliburn House, where a Professor and a psychic are searching for a legendary ghost whose apparition has appeared in the mansion throughout its history -- and who herself appears to be pursued by something.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 27 April 2013, 09:20 PM.

Seventies?

Caliburn? That's the non-latin version of Excalibur if that has any relevance.

I think we can guess who's knocking on the door. Yup.

Doctor what... nice.

Companion, assistant - nice touch.

Okay, the Caliburn Ghast is actually surprisingly creepy looking and the lighting and atmosphere are nicely done. Kudos to the production team.

Ignorance is Carlisle?

"I'm not happy". Why do I get the sense there is a lot more to that statement, especially considering the mention of empaths earlier?

"What about you and the Doctor?" "No, not really" Well thank Moff for that.

Aha, the TARDIS still doesn't like Clara.

"We're going always" - nice line. Very Who. I expect that means travelling through time only to see the same spot at different points.

Blue crystal from Metebelis III?! Nice reference. Hope there aren't any Eight Legs involved this time...

Cloister bell? Oh dear indeed.

No Clara, you do NOT call the TARDIS a 'grumpy old cow'.

Wow... grabbing onto a crazy flying TARDIS to jump back across universes...that's pretty cool actually.

Ah, nice twist - the whole point was just to find out about Clara.

And another twist?! Aw...

Not bad at all. Definitely better than Neil Cross's other episode. So, the lesson learned is 'Mr Cross, please write more "Hide" episodes and fewer "Rings of Akhaten" episodes. Thank you, the fans'.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

One of the best episodes of the season so far!
      Nice twists and turns
      Interested to see where they are going with Clara...

Next weeks episode looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
        One of the best episodes of the season so far!
        Nice twists and turns
        Interested to see where they are going with Clara...

Next weeks episode looks good!
        Yes defiantly though No3 is currently on earth at the moment with UNIT - and liked the call back to Planet of the spiders
        ----------------------------
        You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

I missed the final final twist regarding 'what' Clara is (or isn't), can anyone regale me please?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yup, agree - nice plotting, good action and I actually had one or two chills in there...

Comment

Not as creepy as The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances or Blink, but definately gave me chills

Comment

After two decidedly mediocre episodes, Doctor Who is back on track.

Liked "Hide" a lot, it hearkened back to proper old school scary Doctor Who from the late 70s.

My only quibble (aside from Matt Smith's mispronunciation of Metebelis) was Dougray Scott's character was far too young to have served in WWII.
                Assuming Dr. Palmer is the same age as Dougray Scott (47), then he'd only have been 17 or 18 when the war ended in 1945.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                  After two decidedly mediocre episodes, Doctor Who is back on track.

Liked "Hide" a lot, it hearkened back to proper old school scary Doctor Who from the late 70s.
                  Even had a shout out to some of SJS outfits the woolen tank top was very SJS
                  ----------------------------
                  You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
                    Even had a shout out to some of SJS outfits the woolen tank top was very SJS
                    Now that you mention it, yes. Emma Grayling obviously shops at the same store as Sarah Jane.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Well...

1. Not sure why it 'had' to be 1974...are the referencing period of time relevant to Old school Who?

2. Emma's wardrobe reminded me of Anne Cartwright on Life on Mars.

3. Very interesting twist on who the ghost was.

4. You can't blame Clara for snarking at the TARDIS.

5. Cloister bell! Haven't heard that in a while and those aren't good news.

Very fun ep despite the slightly gooey stuff at the end.
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

It was nicely spooky. I feel like I should have watched it at night.
                        sigpic
                        Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Enjoyed it all along. Funny, spooky, suspensefull, little romantic...

Am I the only one who thought there were refernces to the last christmas ep... the old manor, a "she" coming, the cold... I half ecpectet the icey governes to pop up again... well I was down the track there... lieked the twists at the end, though, And I liekd the doctor, speaking of love with his arm 'round claras shoulders, and appologicing for that (Yes, I know I'm alone there, but I'd like a little romance between the two of them. Plaine lovestorys are so boring, but love it when its hidden in some andventurestory).

And next week we get to see the pool in the tardis libray? Cant wait for that

Oh, and there was another water reference with the well, which than was droped all of a sudden. WIll tehy get back to it? And yes, I, as well think the line "I'm not happy" had a deeper meaning. But I haven't got a clue, what it could mean.
                          Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

very satisfying episode over all. Much better than last week. I did like the passage of time at a different rate in the pocket universe.
                            sigpic

Comment

Grading this story on the same formula used for the last two episodes of Series 7 part 2. Thanks for reading. If you don't like, cool, just skip.

Hide is written by the same person who wrote Rings. It follows the formula much better than his last story.

The scientist and his assistant are both fairly interesting characters. Not especially so, but they are actually given a few scenes of dialogue and we explore what makes them tick a little bit. There's some depth there - not a lot. They are likable.

As far as torturing them, the instrument chosen was love. I don't think it was wielded that well, however. Specifically, they aren't really put in a situation to test their love so much as finding their love. They aren't given a chance to rise or fall with their love. So we don't learn about them through this torture and therefore it feels flat.

The far more interesting dynamic occurs later and with a completely unexpected couple as we explore a budding rivalry of Clara vs the TARDIS. Given the theme of love between the two monsters and the scientist/assistant, it almost makes me wonder if its a budding love between Clara and the TARDIS as well. Seems a bit silly though. But there is a test and some torture potential, as the TARDIS is torn between shutting Clara out and rescuing the Doctor at the risk of its own existence. Again, unfortunately, this plot line is not explored very well and feels flat. The Doctor is simply rescued and nothing bad happens to the TARDIS as a consequence.

The time traveler stuck in the pocket universe was completely uninteresting and not developed at all beyond a throwaway line of her being a distant descendant of the scientist/assistant.

This story definitely had a ton of potential if they stuck to the formula and remembered to reveal things about the characters, and allow them to rise or fall, as a consequence of their choices under pressure.

I give it a slightly above-average grade. 6/10

Originally posted by Purple Glow View Post

Originally posted by Purple Glow View Post
                              The basic formula for writing good fiction is to create interesting, compelling characters and torture them for 300 pages. How they react tells you something about them and makes it enjoyable. Maybe they rise, maybe they fall.

The Rings of Akhaten completely violates this principle.

1. The new characters created for this story are neither interesting nor compelling. The only character from this story with much of any english lines at all is the little girl, and she was not made compelling by them, imo. The antagonist was a blob with no speaking lines.

2. I didn't feel that a good job was done of conveying the threat to the audience.

As a result, you wound up a story filled with forgettable characters facing a boring threat.

The story didn't work.

Let's apply this formula to Cold War. This story followed the formula to a T.

1. Several interesting characters were created in this story. Scaldak, the scientist (professor Grisenko), and submarine captain Zhukov were new and interesting characters.

2. These characters were placed in pressure situations, and how they reacted to these situations drove the plot. The story then simply wrote itself as we got to see if they would rise or fall.

Let's look at some of the pressure situations.

1. First encounter between Scalak and the crew. How will it be handled? Zhukov seemed ready to negotiate. Scaldak seemed ready to negotiate. Then it all goes wrong when the crewman shock Scaldak.

2. This naturally set up pressure situation #2. Now Scaldak is chained. He believes his daughter and entire race is dead. How will he react? We are given a little backstory that Ice Warriors condemn entire races for one assault. Will Scaldak "fall" and follow through? Or will he "rise" and look beyond his rather brutal moral code?

3. Pressure situation #3. Clara volunteers to visit Scaldak. How will she react? Will she "rise" by bravely keeping her composure and wits and do a good job? Or will she "fall" and lose her cool?

4. Pressure situation #4. Scaldak is LOOSE! Will the crew members "rise" and keep their wits? Or "fall" and lose their cool? This was used especially to get to know professor Grisenko. We learned he will rise. He kept his cool, and tried to help Clara stay cool with some humor.

5. But the main pressure situation was #2, where we learn what Scaldak is made of. He shows mercy. And the CORE of the entire episode was putting the greatest hero of the ice Warriors in a torture chamber. He lost his daughter, his race, his pride, his warrior code was assaulted. But when he still hesitates to fire the nuke. And when the rescue comes, he shows mercy.

Scaldak rose.

This episode perfectly followed the formula of successful fiction, and unsurprisingly, it was the BEST story of the season. 10/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X