• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rings of Akhaten (3308/708)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SERIES 33
    THE RINGS OF AKHATEN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3308 (708)
    The Doctor takes Clara to the inhabited rings of Akhaten, where the young Queen of Years faces a ritual that may require she sacrifice her soul to a slumbering god.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 07 April 2013, 10:43 PM.

I see you lurking Sealurk... =P
    Hmm, not as good as TBOSJ, but still quite good.
    Nothing really to add from the Clara mystery, but nice to see how the leaf came about and how it was used to save the day.
    Nice to see so many aliens in one place too.

Looking forward to next week and the return of the Ice Warriors!

Comment

Meh, decidedly average I thought.

Wouldn't mind a space moped though.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

A bit hand-wavey science-fictiony. But it seemed that Guilermo Del Toro's production designer has been spending his holidays at the BBC..., along with the bloke who designed the Cantina in SW ep4:ANH.

However, I did like some of the interplay from Clara. Not happy to just jump into the snog box...

Comment

That was a beautiful episode both aurally and visually. I can't wait for series 7 CD to come out. The story itself wasn't too special but the visuals were so stunning I wasn't particularly bothered about it. What a shame The Mill is closing down it's TV special effects department.

The Doctor's speech nearly had me in tears. Well done Matt Smith.

The thing is, unless it's a continuity error, the leaf in TBoSJ is different from the leaf in this episode. It's a different size and shape. The leaf in this episode must just relate to Clara's parents (again unless it's continuity)

I thought it was interesting the Doctor says she reminds him of someone who died. Also that in the flash back to Clara's childhood we never see her Mum pregnant. Both fit with my River theory.
          Last edited by Blencathra; 07 April 2013, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Hmm. That was okay I suppose, but I found about halfway through I wasn't paying much attention, instead preferring to check my emails or read the Mass Effect wiki.

I hope this picks up a bit soon, because I wasn't hugely impressed with the first half of series seven if I'm honest, not compared to most of the prior seasons. Though I'm glad to be rid of Amy, I'm not sure I like Clara all that much - not that I dislike her per se, but she doesn't seem that interesting or interested and while this may well be part of her story the mystery surrounding her just doesn't have me intrigued.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I enjoyed the music in this episode, but I found the story a bit meh. At least we know a bit more about Clara's story.

I see the Doctor is now quoting from Blade Runner.." Home Again Clickety Click".
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                I see the Doctor is now quoting from Blade Runner.." Home Again Clickety Click".
                "Jiggety jig" actually, but yeah. And we almost got Rutger Hauer's "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..." speech.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

So..... was this doctor who's dreaded musical episode?

Have to say was not impressed! I assumed that the sacrifice was fatal hence all the fuss about saving the girl, and how exactly does one feed off things that could of been?

Hopefully next weeks will be better
                  A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

I did like the nods to Indiana Jones.
                    sigpic

Comment

Episode on a whole was average, but I really liked the ending! Especially the doctor facing the God.

Guess that explains the leaf.

A mention of Susan, hmmmm...

The TARDIS doesnt like Clara, nice touch

The Doctor asked Clara what she had been doing... what has he been doing?

Yes Clara, give the dog alien your ring so we can get the scouter and we can have a nice emotional scene... it's not like The Doctor has a TARDIS he could use instead... oh wait a moment. Also, just give her the screw driver, the TARDIS can just give you another one!

For a bunch of people about to have their souls eaten, the crowd looked pretty calm
                      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

That was a beautiful episode both audio and visually. I can't wait for series 7 CD to come out. The story itself wasn't too special but the visuals were so stunning I wasn't particularly bothered about it. What a shame The Mill is closing down it's TV special effects department.
                        "Beautyfull" is exectly the word I thought about. It's true there story itself wasn't that special. But that's what I like about it. I've always thought I like to see one or another eppisode where they manyly treval, whithout saving the universe. I can see why some people don't like this ep I thiks it's a good contrast to teh speed of last week's episode.

The Doctor's speech nearly had me in tears. Well done Matt Smith.
                        *dries tears* It made me cry. The speech, the song, the mood (don't care if it was cheesy).

The thing is, unless it's a continuity error, the leaf in TBoSJ is different from the leaf in this episode. It's a different size and shape. The leaf in this episode must just relate to Clara's parents (again unless it's continuity)

yeah, I noticed that. Mabe we'll see. Oh, I'm still not used to havving to wait a whole week till the next episode.
                        Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

I liked the music and the Doctor's speech. Otherwise... meh.
                          sigpic
                          Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

At one point I realized that I was actually bored, which surprised me more than anything that happened in the episode. It looked and sounded really pretty, but way too many things went from suspenseful to "oh get on with it."
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                              Also that in the flash back to Clara's childhood we never see her Mum pregnant. Both fit with my River theory.
                              Well, we never see her changing nappies, but I guess it did happen... tricky to show the entire 24 years in flashback. Heck, we didn't even see the wedding IIRC.

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                              So..... was this doctor who's dreaded musical episode?

Have to say was not impressed! I assumed that the sacrifice was fatal hence all the fuss about saving the girl, and how exactly does one feed off things that could of been?
                              Must admit, it was a bit slow, though not everything can be break-neck the whole time. I didn't see the post-mummy switcheroo coming. As for "could have been", isn't that what Weeping Angels consume, potential time/energy, so why not a god?

Comment

Working...
                              X