• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bells of St. John (3307/707)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SERIES 33
    THE BELLS OF ST. JOHN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3307 (707)
    The Doctor finds Clara in modern-day London, where he learns that the whole world is under threat by a clandestine group who are using wi-fi signals to download and imprison people's souls.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 03 April 2013, 08:20 PM.

Great start to the return of series 7! Doctor Wo back on top form!
    I wonder how Dr. Simeon ties into all this... I have a theory...
    Nice to see lots of London locations, and I thought that was what the Shard stunt would be...
    Great humour and acting as always.

Interested to see where this season goes...

Comment

Gah! You beat me! Anyway, great ep - my thoughts (spoilered for length):

Spoiler:
      Is that a modified version of the theme from The Snowmen? Preferred the last version I think.

Best helpline in the universe? I'll say.

RYCBAR! I KNEW it would pitch up!

Doctor who?

Ooh, mind hacking!

The TARDIS is a mobile phone? Actually that IS a surprisingly accurate description...

ARGH! How could I miss that? The author of the book was Amelia Williams!!!

Hmm, I wonder who the client is... the Great Intelligence perhaps?

JAMMY DODGERS!!

Whole new meaning to "The Doctor Dances"!

Clara Oswald for the win...

I want an Anti-Grav Triumph!!

UNIT!!

Aha, the Great Intelligence/Simeon. Interesting...

Having seen more of it I'm definitely liking the new TARDIS more now.

Next ep looks good!
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        Gah! You beat me! Anyway, great ep - my thoughts (spoilered for length):

Spoiler:
        Is that a modified version of the theme from The Snowmen? Preferred the last version I think.

Best helpline in the universe? I'll say.

RYCBAR! I KNEW it would pitch up!

Doctor who?

Ooh, mind hacking!

The TARDIS is a mobile phone? Actually that IS a surprisingly accurate description...

ARGH! How could I miss that? The author of the book was Amelia Williams!!!

Hmm, I wonder who the client is... the Great Intelligence perhaps?

JAMMY DODGERS!!

Whole new meaning to "The Doctor Dances"!

Clara Oswald for the win...

I want an Anti-Grav Triumph!!

UNIT!!

Aha, the Great Intelligence/Simeon. Interesting...

Having seen more of it I'm definitely liking the new TARDIS more now.

Next ep looks good!
        Agree with this, you basically summed up my thoughts...
        Definately dont think this will have been the last we have seen of the GI.

And tee hee, theres always next week!
        Last edited by Teddybrown; 30 March 2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Oh, the bells of Saint John... obvious, really...

Comment

What Sealurk said!

Absolutely fantastic. It's a whole new world for the Doctor, and it'll be interesting watching how Clara works with him, given that she speaks almost as fast as he does. Excellent humorous touches, too. Glad I recorded it so I can rewatch it and pick up all the bits I missed the first time round.

One of the comments about The Snowmen was the lack of time given to Dr Simeon - but it seems that that was just the start. It'll be interesting to see where that goes, too. The Great Intelligence lives on...

LOVED the anti-grav bike, and going up the side of the Shard - if it's gonna be done, who better? A Triumph...on a Triumph.

The only thing that could have improved it was a bit more time to tell the story - given that the Doctor's only got twenty minutes to save the day once we've got the exposition out of the way, he's got to do it at a million miles an hour. The Doctor base station would've made a fabulous cliffhanger! Still, with only 45 minutes to tell it from start to finish, they packed a lot in, and it was amazing. Matt is getting better and better - and the fez is still cool!

A great start, and I'm looking forward to the next ep with rabidly bated breath. I can't wait to find out more about Clara. And I'm craving Jammie Dodgers now...curses, Mr Moffat!
            sigpic

Comment

I love the fact that the title actually referred entirely to the St John Ambulance logo...

Good ep. Great use of the motorbike, great British land marks. I love it when Who does that! Nice to see UNIT cutting about again, though their shin protectors were... interesting...

The primary antagonist was particularly sad at the end though...

For shame on the Doctor though. Clip on bow tie? Bah.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

7/10.

Very good, but not perfect.

Best lines -

Monk: "Is it an evil spirit?"
                The Doctor: "It's a woman..."
                The monk crosses himself.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I really thought that the episode was going to end with them trying to upload the Doctor into the wifi and then their servers break due to his Time Lordiness. Glad to be surprised though XD Great ep
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                  Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Great new episode! I need to watch it again before saying much more. A few thoughts...

Loved seeing the author of the book and Clara saying chapter eleven is best.

Of course.... the bells of St John. Obvious now when you know what it is. And it's a mobile phone. Of course!

Jammie Dodgers!

Loved seeing London.

Some Clara speculation

Spoiler:

The more I see of the Doctor and Clara flirting, the more convinced I am that somehow Clara will turn out to be River. I can't conceive that the Moff will have the Doctor "cheating" on River with Clara. Particularly in front of a family audience.

I wonder if Clara's leaf is somehow related to River, ie some reference to the prayer leaf that Laura Bucket made (in AGMGTW). Or perhaps it's a reference to the pulped up trees in The Library?

It will be interesting to see how much closer the Doctor and Clara get.

Comment

Is it just me, or does Clara remind anyone else of Sarah Jane?
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

THIS! WAS! AWSOM!

A little short, though. The speed was literally breathtaken. I lieked it, but I hope not every ep will be this fast.

Loved the Amy-Rory refference.
                        Didn't get chapter eleven, though. But OF COURSE *bangs hand against her head*

I cane see now, what they said about Jenna and Matt in the interviews. They are brilliant together.

Best lines -

Monk: "Is it an evil spirit?"
                        The Doctor: "It's a woman..."
                        The monk crosses himself.
                        Agreed

Unit? *shruggs* never lieked them. Too many guns.

Refferece to the Snowman? hmm...
                        I was rather reminded of new series 2 "The idiot's lantern", just in a more modern way.

As for

Spoiler:

The more I see of the Doctor and Clara flirting, the more convinced I am that somehow Clara will turn out to be River. I can't conceive that the Moff will have the Doctor "cheating" on River with Clara. Particularly in front of a family audience.

I wonder if Clara's leaf is somehow related to River, ie some reference to the prayer leaf that Laura Bucket made (in AGMGTW). Or perhaps it's a reference to the pulped up trees in The Library?

It will be interesting to see how much closer the Doctor and Clara get.
                        Hmm.. could be. Don't know if I'd like that. As much as I like River, I never thought the Romance between her and the docter very convincing.

I thought the leave is a reference to this short preview-clip, where the Doctor meets jung Clara on an autumn day. But a hint to the library seemst likely, too. Well, I guess we'll find out.
                        Last edited by Greenee; 30 March 2013, 02:11 PM.
                        Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                          I love the fact that the title actually referred entirely to the St John Ambulance logo...

Good ep. Great use of the motorbike, great British land marks. I love it when Who does that! Nice to see UNIT cutting about again, though their shin protectors were... interesting...

The primary antagonist was particularly sad at the end though...

For shame on the Doctor though. Clip on bow tie? Bah.
                          Well Delta Force have used protec skater helmets and knee pads - or they certainly did in Somalia watch black hawk down
                          ----------------------------
                          You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
                            Well Delta Force have used protec skater helmets and knee pads - or they certainly did in Somalia watch black hawk down
                            Knee pads is commonplace. Those shin protectors though... I've never come across them. That's not to say they don't exist of course...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I liked the opening when it turned out the guy talking had already been taken

When The Doctor was called "The Mad Monk", for a moment I was hoping it was THE Monk!

Amelia Williams!

The best helpline ever, What women? River?

rycbar123, a new password I think!!!

This whole story could have been avoided with basic security knowledge / common sense!

I missed the Nina reference first time around.

Not sure how I feel about his new coat... it makes him look almost too smart

"Not this time Clara I promise you"

"Can't pass it off as another riot"

Why is The Doctor suddenly so concerned about taking the TARDIS into battle?

Another duplicate Doctor, he sure loves his duplicates

"I'm going to motivate you"

The Great Intelligence! I should have spotted the repetition from the spoon heads!
                              People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Working...
                              X