This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing: Fan Fiction vs. Original Fiction

A see people referencing fan fiction a lot on these forums. I pose a simple question. To those here who write, do you write original fiction or fan fiction? If fan fiction, why not original fiction? If original fiction, how do you feel about fan fiction? By original fiction, I simply mean stories not based off of someone else's. That said, if you're putting together a professional movie script for say... a Stargate movie (of some kind), would that count as fan fiction? Merian Webster defines fan fiction as... "stories involving popular fictional characters that are written by fans and often posted on the Internet —called also fan fic." One could surmise that it ceases to be fan fiction if writing with the intent of getting published or submitting to a script to a studio?

I've got story ideas for a Star Trek: Voyager movie and Back to the Future Part IV. Friends have accused me of writing fan fiction. I see it as attempts to outline stories that would be fleshed out into feature film scripts that would be submitted to Paramount Pictures (Voyager) and Universal Studios (Back to the Future). Whether I ever get that far is irrelevant, we're talking about writer's intent.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post

To those here who write, do you write original fiction or fan fiction?
    Both. Novels and short-stories of both descriptions. And poetry, too. Just as beautiful as prose, and sometimes more rewarding.

That said, if you're putting together a professional movie script for say... a Stargate movie (of some kind), would that count as fan fiction?
    Yep.

Merian Webster defines fan fiction as... "stories involving popular fictional characters that are written by fans and often posted on the Internet —called also fan fic." One could surmise that it ceases to be fan fiction if writing with the intent of getting published or submitting to a script to a studio?
    Most people would stop classing it as fanfiction if you get published. If you were hired in the first instance specifically to write that script, then it was never fanfiction, it was your job.

I've got story ideas for a Star Trek: Voyager movie and Back to the Future Part IV. Friends have accused me of writing fan fiction. I see it as attempts to outline stories that would be fleshed out into feature film scripts that would be submitted to Paramount Pictures (Voyager) and Universal Studios (Back to the Future). Whether I ever get that far is irrelevant, we're talking about writer's intent.
    Submitting your fanfiction in the hope of getting it published is still fanfiction.

Also, you could've used the thread I made and linked to 3 days ago, but meh, s'no skin off my nose.

Oh wait, I don't have a nose...
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Originally posted by The Urban Spaceman View Post
      Both. Novels and short-stories of both descriptions. And poetry, too. Just as beautiful as prose, and sometimes more rewarding.
      I mostly write original fiction myself with two exceptions. As for poetry, I completely agree.

Yep.
      Star Trek: Nemesis was written by John Logan, a fan of Star Trek. Does that make the movie fan fiction?

Most people would stop classing it as fanfiction if you get published. If you were hired in the first instance specifically to write that script, then it was never fanfiction, it was your job.
      Why does one have to be hired for the script to be written? An existing script can be submitted to the studio, and if they like it, they start looking for producers, a director, and so on.

Submitting your fanfiction in the hope of getting it published is still fanfiction.
      Why does being publishes versus unpublished make the difference between whether or not it's fanfiction? I would imagine that how the story is written, the target audience, and so on would have a big impact. Since when is a movie script fanfiction? I always thought of fanfiction as short stories written by fans with the intent of being uploaded for other fans to read. Using Star Trek: Voyager for example, my partial outline is not aimed at the fans. Far from it, they are not my target audience. My audience would be the casual weekly viewers from the 1990's. The people who watched weekly without being fanatical about the show. I'd also be aiming at those who are simply looking to see a space adventure movie.

Also, you could've used the thread I made and linked to 3 days ago, but meh, s'no skin off my nose.
      Your thread is about originality in art, it's too broad a discussion for what I wanted to address. I wanted to start a discussion specifically about writing fan fiction versus original fiction.

Comment

The different between fan fiction and regular science fiction based on popular franchises is money. Fan fiction is stories fans write based on the form of entertainment they are fan of. The second a Stargate fan tries to get profit on their writings, MGM is going to slap them with a lawsuit. A regular Stargate story for example has publication and MGM approval to get profit
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Funny thing is that I regard all the licensed and professionally-published books in a franchise to be fanfiction of a sort. I know I'm not the only person in sci-fi fandom to take that view, either. Even some of the authors in those franchises would agree with that assessment.

And, of course, I write both fanfic and original science fiction. I started writing the original stuff decades ago, while I've only been writing fanfic since 2010.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
          sigpic
          now also appearing on DeviantArt
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            The second a Stargate fan tries to get profit on their writings, MGM is going to slap them with a lawsuit.
            You're assuming the fan in question has not gone through the appropriate publisher channels.

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
            Funny thing is that I regard all the licensed and professionally-published books in a franchise to be fanfiction of a sort.
            Does that make movies based off of literature fanfiction? SG-1 is based off the 1994 movie Stargate. Does that make Brad Wright's TV saga fanfiction? What if a book is based on a franchise, but only by setting? What if this book is not written by a fab, but merely by someone who wanted to set his story in that creative world? Is that still fan fiction?

And, of course, I write both fanfic and original science fiction. I started writing the original stuff decades ago, while I've only been writing fanfic since 2010.
            Do you have anything published?

Comment

True. When they get approval from MGM I wouldn't call it fan fiction anymore as that also means they have publishers
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

A see people referencing fan fiction a lot on these forums. I pose a simple question. To those here who write, do you write original fiction or fan fiction?
                I write both, but more fan fic than original at the moment.

If fan fiction, why not original fiction? If original fiction, how do you feel about fan fiction? By original fiction, I simply mean stories not based off of someone else's.
                I write fanfiction for two reasons:

Firstly... to practice writing and become better at writing stories.

I started looking around the internet for classes that could be taken for people who wanted to write. I didn't have time to take any classes, but wanted to see what was involved. I stumbled across a course description and syllabus for a class at a college in Connecticut I think... not positive on that. Anyway part of the course required students to write a bit of fan fiction and post it on the internet. I'm not sure of the website and it was long enough ago and I was unfamiliar with fan fiction at the time, so it might have just been for the class or school... or maybe a popular fan fiction site... I don't know.

The part of the course was addressing the creation of characters and keeping them "in character". Using fan fiction was one way of working on this because the characters are already established and the students just had to try to keep them "in character" as they wrote them. By posting them it gave readers the chance to critique the writing and let the writer know how they did in this area.

I thought it sounded like something I could try or work on without having to take a course.

Secondly... because I really missed Stargate and other shows and it was/is one way to still enjoy the show even though it is gone.

That said, if you're putting together a professional movie script for say... a Stargate movie (of some kind), would that count as fan fiction? Merian Webster defines fan fiction as... "stories involving popular fictional characters that are written by fans and often posted on the Internet —called also fan fic." One could surmise that it ceases to be fan fiction if writing with the intent of getting published or submitting to a script to a studio?

It may not be the case, but I usually consider anything written for established characters, whether it be characters from a book, tv show or movie is a form of fan fiction unless they are the creators or hired by the creators.

Funny thing is that I regard all the licensed and professionally-published books in a franchise to be fanfiction of a sort. I know I'm not the only person in sci-fi fandom to take that view, either. Even some of the authors in those franchises would agree with that assessment.

I have to say that I too kind of consider the Stargate books to be fan fiction since they are not written by the writers of the show. I know that by definition that may not be the case, but because I have read so much amazing fan fiction on the internet, reading some of these books feels the same way and isn't even necessarily better than the fan fiction I've read.
                sigpic

Comment

Does that make movies based off of literature fanfiction? SG-1 is based off the 1994 movie Stargate. Does that make Brad Wright's TV saga fanfiction? What if a book is based on a franchise, but only by setting? What if this book is not written by a fab, but merely by someone who wanted to set his story in that creative world? Is that still fan fiction?
                  In a sense, though only in a sense.

Do you have anything published?
                  Not yet, but ask me that next year.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                  sigpic
                  now also appearing on DeviantArt
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Star Trek: Nemesis was written by John Logan, a fan of Star Trek. Does that make the movie fan fiction?
                    nope (cause it's canon)

Comment

Working...
                    X