Helix (Ron Moore) - speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
    Given that Syfy is desperate for new, cheap to produce shows, I wouldn't be surprise if they commission this base on Ron Moor name only and rush it into production, it look to me like it came out of no where.
    I think your exactly right. I actually read about it last year when SyFy was making this huge deal about the type and number of shows they had in development. Craig, what's his name, from SyFy also did an AMA at Reddit about that time and briefly talked about it. But that's a whole other story.

I hadn't considered how cheap this one must be to make. As others have mentioned, the whole attention to detail sucks, so they must be cutting corners in more places than production, too. I'm not saying that it isn't entertaining, cause it is, it's just that I had hoped for a lot more. There's nothing special, (so far) in the concept and the plot is very predictable. Yes, I'd say you've got it. A nice, cheap piece of new program to throw out there mid-season. If it lights it up, so much the better, but if it fails they haven't lost much.

Also, thanks for the instruction on the spoiler tags.

Comment

I work at a University around labs and the lack of protection the so called CDC staffers use around contagions , samples & the infected is spectacular bad.

With the glow in the dark eyes of the base director in the first episode; I thought it was a dead give away that this so called 'unknown contagion' is of alien origin and not so unknown by some.......

OMG its the Xfiles....
      SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
        I work at a University around labs and the lack of protection the so called CDC staffers use around contagions , samples & the infected is spectacular bad.

With the glow in the dark eyes of the base director in the first episode; I thought it was a dead give away that this so called 'unknown contagion' is of alien origin and not so unknown by some.......

OMG its the Xfiles....
        I thought it pointed to the fact that this base has move beyond working with transgenics rats to making themselves transgenics or at least the director has been experimenting on himself. Probably made himself immune from this virus. Which is why they got rid of that monkey, which itself is a transgenic experiment and is a viable means of producing an anecdote. It possible that the director is also the final outcome of the infection, those that don't die becomes fully controlled by the virus. Which we know is changing the people its infects.

The opening scene told us that the director knew all about the contagion, when he mention something about progress whilst feeding the doc brother water. This isn't an unknown contagion and is known by the people that work at the lab, who are keeping their mouths shut for some yet unknown reason. Through the brother warned the world and invited CCD in, which he did without the director orders. Several others have tried to inform the CDC.

Surely the explosion of the satellite dish through will be notice by intelligences agencies around the world who will start to dispatched their own teams to investigate the site, this whole working outside of international law applies both ways. Which means our engineer will have to speed up his own schedule, and we should be expecting a few guests to be arriving soon. Probably people from WHO for starters.

Comment

We only watched the first episode so far, I'm also feeling kind of so-so about it. I do have ep 2&3 on the DVR and will give them a try. I'm not a fan of the love triangle drama...

Comment

We're done. We made it 10 minutes into episode 3 and gave up at the terrible writing.

Spoiler:
            1. So the head guy finds Peter and runs over and touches him. He should know better. 2. Scientists who work on infectious diseases are having to be advised about how to treat these diseases. 3. The constant long shots of people staring to emote stress/concern is absurd.
            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
              We only watched the first episode so far, I'm also feeling kind of so-so about it. I do have ep 2&3 on the DVR and will give them a try. I'm not a fan of the love triangle drama...
              Wasn't there a love triangle in Walking dead?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MossPlanktor View Post
                Wasn't there a love triangle in Walking dead?
                Yes, but I felt this one was tossed in more immediately and is more of a central point. Maybe if I loved the rest of the story it wouldn't of distracted me. I still haven't seen more than the first episode. The triangle in the Walking Dead was an important thread of the show but, I never felt distracted by it, there was always much more important things going on.

Comment

Good Answer RK
                  sigpic

Comment

The love triangle in The Walking Dead was worse and it went on forever and it really started to annoy me. I agree i dont like the love triangle stuff but i barely notice it in Helix. The third episode was the best and i have a feelin its only gonna get better.
                    sigpic
                    Kenton Canada

Comment

I didn't like the love triangle on The Walking Dead, and I don't like the love triangle on this show.
                      I'm fine with the stuff between the head CDC guy(Alan?) and his ex-wife(Julia), but I could have done without Sarah crushing on Alan. I really like the show so far though, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well the First pilot episode was on Monday night, i watched it, and thought it predictable but i will give it a shot.
                        sigpic

Comment

I caught the 1st episode/pilot on Monday night as it aired on Channel 5 here in the UK.
                          I was quite surprised as I wasn't aware it was going to be shown.

It looks as though it is going to be an interesting show.
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Ten minutes in,
                            click channels,
                            good-bye.

Sorry, but when I see yet another group of polished "characters" from the Hollywood stock cupboard, fighting yet another virus in a remote laboratory (did they get permission to plant the Lab. so far out in the Arctic? Where were Greenpeace? Now that WOULD make an interesting sub-plot.... hmmmm, might write my own concept.) while yet another Big Corporation of AmericanLand try to Keep It SECRET, you can close your eyes plot the rest, and giggle.

No. I'm not wasting another minute on this.

But thanks for inspiring me to conceive of something different.

Occasional writer, fledgling film/TV producer with ambitions to launch a bold new vision for a Stargate TV series,
                            once I've raised the seed funding and credibility to attract Warner's attention.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by worldmaker View Post
                              Ten minutes in,
                              click channels,
                              good-bye.

Sorry, but when I see yet another group of polished "characters" from the Hollywood stock cupboard, fighting yet another virus in a remote laboratory (did they get permission to plant the Lab. so far out in the Arctic? Where were Greenpeace? Now that WOULD make an interesting sub-plot.... hmmmm, might write my own concept.) while yet another Big Corporation of AmericanLand try to Keep It SECRET, you can close your eyes plot the rest, and giggle.

No. I'm not wasting another minute on this.

But thanks for inspiring me to conceive of something different.

I don't see how you can call the vet a polish character.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                                I don't see how you can call the vet a polish character.
                                Polished, glossy, plastic, too pretty for words and having all the character of a lump of dead putty.
                                Occasional writer, fledgling film/TV producer with ambitions to launch a bold new vision for a Stargate TV series,
                                once I've raised the seed funding and credibility to attract Warner's attention.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X