Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Helix (Ron Moore) - speculation/discussion/spoilers

The show hasn't hooked me yet but it was interesting enough to make me give it another episode or two.

Are they planning on making more of this show or is it just this one season? I just can't see how they would drag this premise out over more then one season...

Pining for more Haven, Grimm, and Continuum

I'm not hooked yet either. Most of the characters are flat or annoying, and I am so tired of love triangles, especially one in the pilot.

I'll try a few more episodes, but if they are trying to remake Outbreak as a thirteen hour show, I won't stick around.

That and some of the details are bad. Their arctic was not cold enough. People are strolling out for "mysterious" calls with just a coat. Ugh.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

I guess I'll be disappointed if this ends up as poor as it started. Ron Moore is one of my favorite writers for TV. It does rather amuse me that because he likes the interaction of people in a confined environment he choose this theme to showcase it. I mean, a couple good sized bombs, problem solved. I'll keep watching because I have to believe that SyFy wouldn't have bit on this show based on what we've seen. Because, this can't be all there is, can it?

Sure hope not.

Second Lieutenant Kenton-Atlantis's Avatar

Just watched the third episode today it was great. So far I really like the show. There must be a few surprises coming i agree more needs to happen. I have faith

Kenton Canada

Staff Sergeant

Reminds of that short lived series Starring Carla Guino(sp) and Brent Spiner.

The series was called Threshold.
    Last edited by Bladed; January 15th, 2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: addendum

I kinda wish i didnt watch episode three allready now im gonna have two wait till the 24th for more. the last episode really got me into it

Kenton Canada

Looking forward to watching it, it's going to start on British TV in a few days.

I just read a little thing this afternoon about the amount of time that elapses during this first series. It added to my opinion that this would have made a better mini-series than a regular show. They could have always gone to series if it was successful, of which I have my doubts.

Someone above also mentioned the love triangle, you'll be happy to know that they originally had plans to kill off one of the points of the triangle, early in the show. However, having the triangle gave them more material to play with. Think so? Geesh.... like we all don't know how that will work out.

A couple other things, but since I can't recall how to put the spoiler tags on, I better leave it be or else face the wrath of the board.

Anyway, I'm still baffled as to why they would put the 3rd ep on line after the first two aired. Now this week will be a blank for all those who took advantage. For a show like this, seems like a foolish move.

Quote Originally Posted by 12OzMouse View Post
    I just read a little thing this afternoon about the amount of time that elapses during this first series. It added to my opinion that this would have made a better mini-series than a regular show. They could have always gone to series if it was successful, of which I have my doubts.

Someone above also mentioned the love triangle, you'll be happy to know that they originally had plans to kill off one of the points of the triangle, early in the show. However, having the triangle gave them more material to play with. Think so? Geesh.... like we all don't know how that will work out.

A couple other things, but since I can't recall how to put the spoiler tags on, I better leave it be or else face the wrath of the board.

Anyway, I'm still baffled as to why they would put the 3rd ep on line after the first two aired. Now this week will be a blank for all those who took advantage. For a show like this, seems like a foolish move.
    That bad, there central story idea was so weak they needed to fill it out with a love story. Ron Moor is a good writer, but he yet to prove he a good show creator, his inability to do long term planning will stop from ever being a good show creator. I haven't seen Helix yet so I hoping I am proven wrong.

you add spoilers by adding [] brackets around the word spoiler, [/spoiler22] without the 22

Quote Originally Posted by 12OzMouse View Post
    I guess I'll be disappointed if this ends up as poor as it started. Ron Moore is one of my favorite writers for TV. It does rather amuse me that because he likes the interaction of people in a confined environment he choose this theme to showcase it. I mean, a couple good sized bombs, problem solved. I'll keep watching because I have to believe that SyFy wouldn't have bit on this show based on what we've seen. Because, this can't be all there is, can it?

Sure hope not.
    Given that Syfy is desperate for new, cheap to produce shows, I wouldn't be surprise if they commission this base on Ron Moor name only and rush it into production, it look to me like it came out of no where.

Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    Given that Syfy is desperate for new, cheap to produce shows, I wouldn't be surprise if they commission this base on Ron Moor name only and rush it into production, it look to me like it came out of no where.
    I think your exactly right. I actually read about it last year when SyFy was making this huge deal about the type and number of shows they had in development. Craig, what's his name, from SyFy also did an AMA at Reddit about that time and briefly talked about it. But that's a whole other story.

I hadn't considered how cheap this one must be to make. As others have mentioned, the whole attention to detail sucks, so they must be cutting corners in more places than production, too. I'm not saying that it isn't entertaining, cause it is, it's just that I had hoped for a lot more. There's nothing special, (so far) in the concept and the plot is very predictable. Yes, I'd say you've got it. A nice, cheap piece of new program to throw out there mid-season. If it lights it up, so much the better, but if it fails they haven't lost much.

Also, thanks for the instruction on the spoiler tags.

Second Lieutenant

I work at a University around labs and the lack of protection the so called CDC staffers use around contagions , samples & the infected is spectacular bad.

With the glow in the dark eyes of the base director in the first episode; I thought it was a dead give away that this so called 'unknown contagion' is of alien origin and not so unknown by some.......

OMG its the Xfiles....
    SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by psl1 View Post
    I work at a University around labs and the lack of protection the so called CDC staffers use around contagions , samples & the infected is spectacular bad.

With the glow in the dark eyes of the base director in the first episode; I thought it was a dead give away that this so called 'unknown contagion' is of alien origin and not so unknown by some.......

OMG its the Xfiles....
    I thought it pointed to the fact that this base has move beyond working with transgenics rats to making themselves transgenics or at least the director has been experimenting on himself. Probably made himself immune from this virus. Which is why they got rid of that monkey, which itself is a transgenic experiment and is a viable means of producing an anecdote. It possible that the director is also the final outcome of the infection, those that don't die becomes fully controlled by the virus. Which we know is changing the people its infects.

The opening scene told us that the director knew all about the contagion, when he mention something about progress whilst feeding the doc brother water. This isn't an unknown contagion and is known by the people that work at the lab, who are keeping their mouths shut for some yet unknown reason. Through the brother warned the world and invited CCD in, which he did without the director orders. Several others have tried to inform the CDC.

Surely the explosion of the satellite dish through will be notice by intelligences agencies around the world who will start to dispatched their own teams to investigate the site, this whole working outside of international law applies both ways. Which means our engineer will have to speed up his own schedule, and we should be expecting a few guests to be arriving soon. Probably people from WHO for starters.

We only watched the first episode so far, I'm also feeling kind of so-so about it. I do have ep 2&3 on the DVR and will give them a try. I'm not a fan of the love triangle drama...

Pining for more Haven, Grimm, and Continuum

We're done. We made it 10 minutes into episode 3 and gave up at the terrible writing.

Spoiler:
    1. So the head guy finds Peter and runs over and touches him. He should know better. 2. Scientists who work on infectious diseases are having to be advised about how to treat these diseases. 3. The constant long shots of people staring to emote stress/concern is absurd.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Quote Originally Posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
    We only watched the first episode so far, I'm also feeling kind of so-so about it. I do have ep 2&3 on the DVR and will give them a try. I'm not a fan of the love triangle drama...
    Wasn't there a love triangle in Walking dead?

Quote Originally Posted by MossPlanktor View Post
    Wasn't there a love triangle in Walking dead?
    Yes, but I felt this one was tossed in more immediately and is more of a central point. Maybe if I loved the rest of the story it wouldn't of distracted me. I still haven't seen more than the first episode. The triangle in the Walking Dead was an important thread of the show but, I never felt distracted by it, there was always much more important things going on.

Good Answer RK

The love triangle in The Walking Dead was worse and it went on forever and it really started to annoy me. I agree i dont like the love triangle stuff but i barely notice it in Helix. The third episode was the best and i have a feelin its only gonna get better.

Kenton Canada

I didn't like the love triangle on The Walking Dead, and I don't like the love triangle on this show.
    I'm fine with the stuff between the head CDC guy(Alan?) and his ex-wife(Julia), but I could have done without Sarah crushing on Alan. I really like the show so far though, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast