This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teyla's Pregnancy & Baby

Did anyone like the whole story arc surrounding Teyla's pregnancy and baby? This came about from the actor being pregnant, yes? When did we find out she was pregnant? I forget which episode the big revelation was in. My mom wanted her to hook up with Ronan and was dissapointed that it was someone we'd never heard of. Anyone else here think Ronan and Teyla would have been good together? This is more directed toward casual viewers than shippers. One thing I liked about the pregnancy-baby arc was that it reminded me of Scully's pregnancy on The X Files. Did anyone else get a Scully X Files vibe?

The one part of this story that I found blandly disappointing was Kanaan. He's finally introduced and featured in "The Kindred, Parts 1&2" and "Search and Rescue." Though he makes an appearance in "Broken Ties," he's effectively forgotten about and only mentioned from then on. Why couldn't the father have been Sheppard or Ronan?
    Last edited by Snowman37; 27 February 2013, 05:28 PM.

I did think it was going to be Ronan and Teyla, which they would reveal after one of those who's-the-daddy arcs shows are so fond of, but if I recall the show put paid to that early on.

After that I thought it would be some kind of cool mystery or twist or something but no, that didn't happen either. She just got pregnant by some random guy we never heard of, the end.

(I never watched the X-Files so I wouldn't have gotten that vibe in any case.)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
      I did think it was going to be Ronan and Teyla, which they would reveal after one of those who's-the-daddy arcs shows are so fond of, but if I recall the show put paid to that early on.

After that I thought it would be some kind of cool mystery or twist or something but no, that didn't happen either. She just got pregnant by some random guy we never heard of, the end.

(I never watched the X-Files so I wouldn't have gotten that vibe in any case.)

The writers were clearly pushing for Teyla/Sheppard, if episodes like Search and Rescue are any indication.

Comment

I actually think it made perfect sense. Everything Teyla did was to help her people, it only seemed right that the father of her baby was Ethosian (sp?)

Comment

I would agree with that if people chose who they fell in love with. But they don't.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
            The writers were clearly pushing for Teyla/Sheppard, if episodes like Search and Rescue are any indication.
            The legacy books have them together I think it's awful it totally spoils the flow of the series. I hope if they ever make more episodes they scrap the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Princes View Post
              The legacy books have them together I think it's awful it totally spoils the flow of the series. I hope if they ever make more episodes they scrap the idea.
              I'm not a fan as well. But I admit my shipping preferences have colored my view.

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                ...Ethosian (sp?)
                Almost right - it's Athosian with an A instead of an E.

The writers knew at the start of filming season 4, the viewers find out right befor The Seer happens (episode before that one if I remember correctly).

And no, I didn't like it one bit. It was poorly handled, though it could have been worse I guess if Torren had had some kind of super power, which he doesn't except for carrying the Wraith gene since both parents carry the gene as well. I liked Kanaan, but they totally had no idea how to use him in relation to the whole story, and thus he disappeared in the background from once he came.

Teyla as a character had quite a bit of chemistry with Ronon, sure. When there was writing for these characters, it usually was with them in the same scene sharing something background-ish. Heck, why not Carson - could be plausible even.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
                  I'm not a fan as well. But I admit my shipping preferences have colored my view.
                  I'm not a fan of the pairing either, I think Sheppard's character in the books seems to be nothing like how he was portrayed in the show and it's not a change for the better. Not a fan of Teyla's characterisation either.

As to the question about Teyla's pregnancy, no I don't think it was well done, the actual framing plot line was weak, the sudden appearance of a boyfriend she had never even mentioned before was a plot device I might have expected from daytime soap.

If I'm being charitable then I might say that the writers were reacting to a situation and this was not a plot line they would have chosen, but I'm not in a charitable mood and so I would have expected a little more from professional writers.

However if the pregnancy storyline was bad, Michael's entry into proceedings was little short of dire, the plot was incoherent, unconvincing and in the end silly.

Apart from all that it was alright I suppose

Comment

The only part I really enjoyed was Teyla's delivery with only Rodney to help

Comment

Ha, yeah - and that's such a TV thing in general, having the least-empathetic person deliver the baby. "You will now give birth!"
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Princes View Post
                        That was my only gripe with the Legacy series. I hated Teyla and John together. It felt forced and just not right.

I think I would have liked the storyline with Teyla's baby if they had followed through on it a little more. Michael made this big deal about the baby being special somehow (I don't remember how or if it was even mentioned), and then....nothing. Perhaps if they had explored that a little more it would have made for some interesting storylines. But since Teyla all but practically disappeared in season 5 I guess they wouldn't. The fact that Kanaan was the father did not bother me, except that it was just so random and sudden, it came out of nowhere. Maybe a little buildup would have made it more palatable.

As far as Ronon and Teyla, I could actually see them together. i thought they had far better chemistry than John and Teyla did. But then again there friendship was too sweet so maybe not.
                        Last edited by gatechick; 28 February 2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                          The only part I really enjoyed was Teyla's delivery with only Rodney to help
                          That was epic!
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                            Did anyone like the whole story arc surrounding Teyla's pregnancy and baby? This came about from the actor being pregnant, yes? When did we find out she was pregnant?... Anyone else here think Ronan and Teyla would have been good together?... Did anyone else get a Scully X Files vibe?... Why couldn't the father have been Sheppard or Ronan?
                            I think you should write fanfics. Or read fanfics. They might answer some of your questions, or you could answer them in your own way.
                            Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

No thanks, I prefer original literature.

Comment

Working...
                              X