This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialing Supergates

Was there ever anything explicitly described about the dialing process for Supergates that indicate it doesn't follow the normal principles of dialing? I wonder because it seems that between the Tau'ri, Tok'ra, Asgard and even the Lucian Alliance, they would have been able to extrapolate an address and then create a dialing computer to activate the Supergate in the Milky Way. It seems doing so would have been far easier, especially with the Asgard's knowledge and resources, than their attempts to "jump" the wormhole from a normal gate to the Supergate.

You're giving this too much thought. We've never seen the Ori dial in. We've seen a failed attempt to dial out and one successful attempt. We never saw exactly how it was done, but presumably hacked into by Carter.

Comment

Didn't they mention something in Ark of Truth, that they figured out how to do it from information from when Daniel was a prior?

Comment

Originally posted by tlw View Post
        Didn't they mention something in Ark of Truth, that they figured out how to do it from information from when Daniel was a prior?
        Yeah, and also in The Shroud.

Jackson dialed the Ori in The Shroud, and Carter dialed the Ori in The Ark of Truth.

Comment

That was the plan in "Camelot." However, it became useless as soon as those four Ori ships came through before they could enact it as, if they dialed out at that point, the Ori just would have just flown back over to the Milky Way supergate, destroyed any ships in the area, shut it down, and waited for their pals to send reinforcements. Therefore, the plan instead became to dial in as the Ori had no way to know where the other gate was located and thus had no way to know where to send their ships.

It might have worked post "Unending" as they finally had a weapon that could take on Ori ships and, in fact, Carter suggested dialing out again in the "Ark of Truth..."

CARTER
          While we think we could use the ZPM on board the Odyssey, unfortunately, it's nowhere near enough power to sustain an outgoing wormhole indefinitely.
          She really should have suggested using one of their other two ZPMs as the Odyssey's ZPM would have been needed so it could properly guard the gate from the remaining Ori ships still in and around the Milky Way. However, I'm not sure why they needed a ZPM at all. The plan for the first supergate was to create a black hole on both ends so that the Ori could, if they wanted to, keep the supergate active indefinitely and then in "Camelot" Carter made a comment that suggested they did the same thing with the second supergate. She then went on to say that it was possible that they could keep the wormhole active indefinitely using the singularity. Granted she only said it was "possible," so I guess it wasn't and so, for whatever reason, it seems that there's also a power issue involved in dialing out. Hence, if that's not just a goof, there are two reasons why dialing out wouldn't have accomplished very much, post Camelot and pre-Unending.

Comment

But which planet would the blow up to make said black hole?

Comment

P3Y-229 apparently...

CARTER: A fully formed Supergate.

EMERSON: Stargate command tried to dial 229 but couldn't get a lock.

CARTER: The planet was probably destroyed in the formation of the micro singularity.
              Quote from "Camelot."

Comment

I could imagine a story which involves SG-1 and Atlantis. They check the Atlantean database for Destiny type gates in the Pegasus galaxy which were planted originally by the Destiny ships, but then they were removed when the Ancients arrived. It would be cool to see that SG-1 ask for the help of citizens of the Ori galaxy and they start to send the parts of a new supergate through the normal stargates. Odyssey goes through the gate to locate new black holes at the other side of the galaxy or even they position some Destiny type gates next to black holes only to build a new supergate again. And they make the same almost in every third-fourth galaxies, so they build a series of supergates like the gate bridge just in a bigger version. That would be a nice way to catch the Destiny 20-30 galaxies away while they could include SG-1 and Atlantis team members. Destiny could return together with the Odussey after they defeated the drones. The End.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  That would be a nice way to catch the Destiny 20-30 galaxies away
                  The ship has been out there for millions of years only examining a small portion of planets and gates in each galaxy. I think it's a lot further than 20-30 galaxies away. 20-30,000 maybe more like it..

Comment

Well by the screen they all saw in the 'apple core', it did look like they are only 20-30 galaxies distant...

Comment

I wouldn't read too much into that. It's just a bit of CG, I doubt the producers ever intended it to realistically represent how far Destiny has been. Given how long Destiny has been travelling, she could conceivably have visited millions of galaxies by now.

Comment

The writers overcalculated the distance and the time dimensions for SG:U and SG:A. I could never understand why Atlantis have left millions of years ago, but they have returned from the Pegasus galaxy only ten tousands year ago? What were they doing in the middle? Has Atlantis visited other galaxies maybe?

How can the communication stone technology work in real time in such a huge distance if even wormholes can be opened by sacrificing a compelte planet? It doesn't make sense at all.
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The writers overcalculated the distance and the time dimensions for SG:U and SG:A. I could never understand why Atlantis have left millions of years ago, but they have returned from the Pegasus galaxy only ten tousands year ago? What were they doing in the middle? Has Atlantis visited other galaxies maybe?
                          I have issues with their millions of years of history myself that I try suspend disbelief for since I know a lot of it has to do with their budget and thus their need to use human actors in place of a lot of truly alien species. So, once they established the Ancients as both a culture that made humans in their own image and a culture that influenced human mythology, they ended up with this whole millions of years thing. However, you make it sound like they needed to be constantly expanding in order for a lengthy time frame to make sense - Given that they were a highly advanced culture, why couldn't they just have decided that they had reached a good size and turned their focus on playing with their toys and creating news ones (aka enjoying their scientific utopia)?

Comment

How can the communication stone technology work in real time in such a huge distance if even wormholes can be opened by sacrificing a compelte planet? It doesn't make sense at all.
                            I think the math makes sense. They left the Milky Way many millions of years ago, seeded the Pegasus galaxy with life which produced all of the human populations that exist now, as well as the Wraith. Now clearly this was long enough ago that the genetic material they seeded was able to combine with that of the Iratus bug and produce the Wraith. So, in the meantime I suppose they built their empire and then eventually the Wraith caught up, the Lantean-Wraith war ensued and eventually the Ancients retreated back to Earth.

It just seems like the majority of what we know of their history in Pegasus took place probably within the last 100,000 years, everything between that and their initial arrival in Pegasus probably constituted growth and adaptation to their new home. If I had to venture a guess, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X