Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantis (BBC)

Default Atlantis (BBC)

Announcement of new series from the BBC.

BBC announces new series 'Atlantis' to replace 'Merlin'

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s53/m...ce-merlin.html

The BBC has announced a number of new commissions including a series from Misfits creator Howard Overman called Atlantis.

The 13-part series will begin shooting in Wales and Morocco in April, while BBC controller of drama Ben Stephenson confirmed that it will air on BBC One in Merlin's Saturday night slot this autumn

The series synopsis states: "The city of Atlantis is a mysterious, ancient place; a world of bull leaping, of snake haired goddesses and of palaces so vast it was said they were built by giants.

"It's into this strange, compelling realm that the young Jason arrives and an amazing adventure begins, bringing to life the vast store of Greek myths and legends re-imagined for a new generation."

___

Sounds quite interesting.

Captain

Default Re: Atlantis (BBC)

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    Announcement of new series from the BBC.

BBC announces new series 'Atlantis' to replace 'Merlin'

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s53/m...ce-merlin.html

The BBC has announced a number of new commissions including a series from Misfits creator Howard Overman called Atlantis.

The 13-part series will begin shooting in Wales and Morocco in April, while BBC controller of drama Ben Stephenson confirmed that it will air on BBC One in Merlin's Saturday night slot this autumn

The series synopsis states: "The city of Atlantis is a mysterious, ancient place; a world of bull leaping, of snake haired goddesses and of palaces so vast it was said they were built by giants.

"It's into this strange, compelling realm that the young Jason arrives and an amazing adventure begins, bringing to life the vast store of Greek myths and legends re-imagined for a new generation."

___

Sounds quite interesting.
    I am actually quite excited about this one!

There'll only ever be one Atlantis for me!

I was so confused by the title of this thread...

Awesome! Besides the awesome SGA, I've always loved the legends of Atlantis so I'll check it out!

This sounds interesting.

Lieutenant Colonel

This sounded interesting until I saw the part about goddesses. Blah... As Matt G said, there's only one Atlantis for me.

The Unfashionable End of the Western Spiral Arm..!

A new twist on mythology.... Sounds like fun.
    I will be keeping my eyes open for this one.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Interesting...
    And its from the writers of Merlin, so Ill definitely give it a go, but looking forward to more details...

Asgardian Library (burdened with glorious books)

I've been interest in the Atlantis story for a long time.

Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Robert Emms Cast In BBC One’s Fantasy Series ‘Atlantis’

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/02/robe...ries-atlantis/

EXCLUSIVE: I’ve learned that Robert Emms is the first actor to be cast in BBC One’s upcoming fantasy series Atlantis. My sources tell me that Emms will be playing a young Pythagoras, a brilliant mathematician and philosopher who is one of the many interesting characters that main character Jason meets upon arriving in Atlantis. An up and comer, Emms, repped by ICM Partners and Curtis Brown, is coming off of a starring role in Universal’s Kick Ass 2. His previous credits include War Horse and Relativity Media’s Mirror Mirror: The Untold Adventures of Snow White.

Created by Howard Overman (Misfits), Atlantis is set in the city of Atlantis: a mysterious ancient place; a world of bull leaping, of snake haired goddesses and of palaces so vast it was said they were built by giants. It’s into this strange, compelling realm that the young Jason arrives and an amazing adventure begins, bringing to life the vast store of Greek myths and legends. The series has been given a 13 episode order, and is set to begin production in Wales and Morocco in April. Howard Overman productions and BBC Cymru Wales are producing, with Howard Overman, Johnny Capps, Julian Murphy and Bethan Jones serving as executive producers. Justin Molotnikov (Merlin) is attached to direct.

Atlantis is BBC One’s newest stab at a fantasy series. The series is being billed as a replacement for Merlin, with Atlantis set to take over Merlin‘s Saturday night time-slot this autumn. I hear that BBC One is not the only one counting on Atlantis being a replacement for Merlin. Word is that part of the reason for a 13 episode order – beyond the success the BBC has seen with such larger orders for Doctor Who and Merlin - is down to potential international sales. A 13 episode first season is thought to make the series more attractive to international buyers, especially the Americans. I hear that BBC Worldwide is “hopeful” of a sale to a US network, with Syfy being the most likely buyer.

I've always been fascinated by the real mystery of Atlantis, so I'll definitely take a look at this - even if it doesn't have a Stargate!!

Cate

...with thanks to the wonderful Bay...

This sounds interesting. if it's anything like the take on the Arthurian legend in 'Merlin' I look forward to seeing it. I love anything to do with myths and legends, and have been fascinated by Atlantis, its creators and fate for many years. Especially the quest to discover the real 'Atlantis' in the same way that the real city of Troy was discovered.

If Syfy takes it on then there's a good chance the Space channel in Canada will pick it up like it did 'Merlin'.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Sounds interesting enough. I do love the legend of Atlantis.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    Robert Emms Cast In BBC One’s Fantasy Series ‘Atlantis’

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/02/robe...ries-atlantis/

EXCLUSIVE: I’ve learned that Robert Emms is the first actor to be cast in BBC One’s upcoming fantasy series Atlantis. My sources tell me that Emms will be playing a young Pythagoras, a brilliant mathematician and philosopher who is one of the many interesting characters that main character Jason meets upon arriving in Atlantis. An up and comer, Emms, repped by ICM Partners and Curtis Brown, is coming off of a starring role in Universal’s Kick Ass 2. His previous credits include War Horse and Relativity Media’s Mirror Mirror: The Untold Adventures of Snow White.

Created by Howard Overman (Misfits), Atlantis is set in the city of Atlantis: a mysterious ancient place; a world of bull leaping, of snake haired goddesses and of palaces so vast it was said they were built by giants. It’s into this strange, compelling realm that the young Jason arrives and an amazing adventure begins, bringing to life the vast store of Greek myths and legends. The series has been given a 13 episode order, and is set to begin production in Wales and Morocco in April. Howard Overman productions and BBC Cymru Wales are producing, with Howard Overman, Johnny Capps, Julian Murphy and Bethan Jones serving as executive producers. Justin Molotnikov (Merlin) is attached to direct.

Atlantis is BBC One’s newest stab at a fantasy series. The series is being billed as a replacement for Merlin, with Atlantis set to take over Merlin‘s Saturday night time-slot this autumn. I hear that BBC One is not the only one counting on Atlantis being a replacement for Merlin. Word is that part of the reason for a 13 episode order – beyond the success the BBC has seen with such larger orders for Doctor Who and Merlin - is down to potential international sales. A 13 episode first season is thought to make the series more attractive to international buyers, especially the Americans. I hear that BBC Worldwide is “hopeful” of a sale to a US network, with Syfy being the most likely buyer.
    http://cultfix.co.uk/atlantis-meet-pythagoras-21782.htm
    Confirms Robert Emms role.

More casting news

Juliet Stevenson ventures on to BBC's Atlantis

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...n-bbc-atlantis

Juliet Stevenson, the star of Truly Madly Deeply and The Politician's Wife, is taking her first major role in a Saturday teatime family drama, the BBC fantasy series Atlantis.

The broadcaster will be hoping to repeat the success of Doctor Who and Merlin in luring children and their parents to BBC1 as the nights draw in on Saturday evenings this autumn with the 13-part drama, which draws on Greek myths and legends about the island which, according to legend sank into the Atlantic.

Stevenson has been cast in a line-up that also includes Mark Addy, recently seen in very different roles in the supermarket comedy Trollied and the dark and visceral TV adaption of George RR Martin's Game of Thrones fantasy novels, and Sarah Parish, whose credits include Cutting It, Mistresses, and Monroe.

Stevenson will also be seen on BBC1 this year in Peter Moffat's ambitious drama The Village, which aims to portray the fictional lives of the residents of a small Peak District settlement over several decades from 1911.

Stevenson rose to prominence in the early 1990s in the late Anthony Minghella's bittersweet romantic comedy Truly Madly Deeply and as the wronged woman who turns the tables on Trevor Eve's philandering husband in Paula Milne's Channel 4 drama The Politician's Wife.

Stevenson admitted this was her first experience of fantasy drama. "This genre is new to me, so I am looking forward to a great adventure."

The BBC's take on Atlantis is of a mysterious, ancient place with vast palaces said to be built by giants, snake-haired goddesses and other mythical creatures. The drama's main protagonist, Jason, is a young man who arrives on Atlantis and begins a series of adventures. Sets depicting the mythical city and island are under construction in Wales and Morroco, with filming due to begin next month.

Atlantis has been written by Howard Overman, creator of E4's Asbo teens with super powers drama Misfits. His other writing credits include Merlin and the BBC4 adaptation of Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently.

Producers will hope they can tap into the current taste for fantasy, sci-fi and horror, with Atlantis following the BBC's successful reinvention of Doctor Who; Merlin, the reworking of the Arthurian legends that ran for five series until last autumn; and time travel meets dinosaurs drama Primeval.

I'm getting more & more excited about this. Great news about Jemima Rooper being involved.

Chief Master Sergeant python490's Avatar

Looks promising. I never got into Merlin other than the first 2 seasons. Hopefully this show be good.

Favorite quote:
    McKay: You shot me!
    Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
    Ronon: You shot me, too.
    Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Ruffler Extraordinaire dipsofjazz's Avatar

This cast looks good. I'm looking forward to watching this.
    <a href=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dipsofjazz/media/sig%20pics/77ab48d9-1023-48cf-8782-b3dadf52b3fe.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/dipsofjazz/sig%20pics/77ab48d9-1023-48cf-8782-b3dadf52b3fe.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...dadf52b3fe.jpg</a></a>