Just watched The Quest for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just watched The Quest for the first time

I knew some of the plot elements but was totally thrown for a loop by the Adria reveal, and that she implanted Vala's dream. I'd remembered the only other time we'd seen one of Vala's dreams was Adria's conception, but it was only a peripheral thought.

From the commentary, I like that the writers considered the librarian the real McCoy in their first encounter, replaced when he conveniently escapes initial capture. I wish they'd replaced the continuity eye change with the great joke about Vala's other dream. It would've been a perfect Stargate moment to inject a OMG scene with a brief natural comedy beat, both coming out of left field. But at least it's on the deleted scenes!

I'm guessing the riddle Adria guessed was due to the Ori being the cause of/expert in being contagion-bearers, but does that mean she was essential to the quest?

I was thrilled they brought Moros back as Merlin in the flesh, though am a bit surprised this isn't mentioned except for the briefest thing I didn't catch for ages from Pegasus Project.

How did Adria defeat the no-Ori-allowed into Merlin's chamber? Oh wait, is it because Merlin's now dead and on the previous planet?

Finally, I think the conclusion would've been stronger with just Adria standing over a defeated Daniel on the planet, the Stargate having just turned off. I'm guessing they inserted the subsequent scenes so you wouldn't think it'd be immediately continued. (I haven't seen the rest of season 10 yet, though I know Daniel returns priorized 3 episodes later.)

Perhaps the "no ori" only extended to their ships finding it.. Morose didn't think that they would figure out a way to backtrack the gate jumping.

Comment

Adria was the only one not transported when they all went back into the chamber. Some viewers probably figured it out as soon as they saw the slightly altered prop from the Sodan planet, but I like the reuse that triggered only a subconscious memory until transport. The effect was also similar to Freyr's Hall of Wisdom and the selectiveness to Thor's Hammer, a nice touch as the Asgard were allies with the Ancients.

Something that underwhelmed me was Adria's petulant powerless when she said "This is beginning to try my patience" to her troops. Scanning the DHD really fast was a cool effect but it was all she could do. I didn't want to see another superpower but to see her be an interesting leader. She has interesting relationships with Vala and Daniel, but not her followers yet.

Comment

Is this your first time watching the show?

Comment

I'd watched roughly 90% of SG-1, 70% of Atlantis and 25% of Universe, some episodes many times. I've been watching with a friend for a few years now. The Quest is my first big SG1 I've seen for the first time. (Fragile Balance and Sacrifices were the others I hadn't seen at all.)

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Amelia Duet View Post
            I'd watched roughly 90% of SG-1, 70% of Atlantis and 25% of Universe, some episodes many times. I've been watching with a friend for a few years now. The Quest is my first big SG1 I've seen for the first time. (Fragile Balance and Sacrifices were the others I hadn't seen at all.)
            Are you watching the episodes randomly, or the show (SG-1) start to finish?
            Last edited by Snowman37; 10 February 2013, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X