Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51213141516 LastLast
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Default Re: Vikings: News/Discussion ( & Season 4 trailer)

At least Ragnar died like he was supposed to.....although the UK only has 1 kind of native snake i believe, instead of the multiple varieties that were in that pit

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

I can't comment on most of season 4 cause I haven't actually caught up with it, but personally the more shieldmaidens the better.
    Gives me loads of costume replicating ideas -- for pure selfish reasons, the more options the better.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

I'm glad you enjoy it but it's rage inducing that they can't at least pick stunt actresses that weigh more than a hundred pounds. Seeing a character like Torvi over power (through strength, not speed) a 200 pound man who had likely trained extensively in combat for years is...not right. Even in TV shows when they have skinny dude warriors they give them speedy kinds of fighting styles rather than strenth-based fighting styles because that is realistic.

It does not help that fight choreography has gone downhill partly...I'm not sure if the director or choreographer were sleeping or they just could not do the same quality fighting because of the high number of females in the scene but the fight between Lagertha and the invaders at Kattegat near the end of the season was embarrassing for the show, especially compared to earlier battles from the series.

And the whole thing with...I don't even remember her name...Lagertha's girlfriend sleeping with both her AND Bejorn is...icky. Really icky.

I miss when there were still legitimate forms of girl empowerment in the show that were at least realistic to the time period. I really liked Lagertha at the beginning of the series, but her story is done, she's plain unlikeable now, and I feel like they are dragging things out with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    At least Ragnar died like he was supposed to.....although the UK only has 1 kind of native snake i believe, instead of the multiple varieties that were in that pit
    That's true. That was a beautiful scene. Well acted from both Travis Fimmel and Linus Roach (silently). I'm disappointed Fimmel was not considered for an Emmy this year but I fear Vikings will never be recognized for it's really good acting with its main guy gone.

The current status of the Republican Party

Vikings renewed for a twenty episode 6th season ahead of it's fifth season premier

I gotta be honest...The more I think about season 4 the less I like it. If they had produced it like they had the previous seasons it could have continued to be great, and there WERE good moments. But the slide in quality is obvious...It's still entertaining, but season 4 is kind of like the fifth season of game of thrones...Meh.

Now if they can turn it around? Great! But the criticisms of season 4 came out too late to really affect season 5's production and the same will happen this year with season 6 if it starts shooting soon.

I really want to show back to the way it was...It was so interesting and full of fun and exploration in season 1-3...Now it just feels like standard fare with poorer fighting (seriously the raid on Kattegat this year was ******* EMBARRASSING for it battle-production wise, and the following battle with the Great Heathen Army was disappointing). And while it has always bent history slightly by condensing it to make all the cool stuff happen sooner, the outright breaking of history with the death of Sigurd is...concerning.

I hope it gets better. I love the period, and if Last Kingdom does not survive (still has not been renewed) I will be sad.

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Oh goddess, I seriously need to catch up with this.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

I really hope this season is good, I see lots of potential. I do hope they don't deviate too far from accepted histories of Ragnar's sons...from the ones that remain alive at least.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Ahahahaha...They already ****ed that up. Sigurd was like the most important one of the five brothers. They could have had a meaningful death in killing of Lagertha or someone else that has been around forever (seriously, the show is too crowded) or even killed of Hvitserk cause he's just kind of...there. But nah...kill off Sigurd.

Sigurd's history is less concrete than many of the other "sons of Ragnar" so while I agree that killing him was unfortunate I don't know that is muddies up the history quite as much as some other sons. I'm not a history buff though so maybe it does.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Air Force Chief of Staff Everlovin's Avatar
    Dancing, singing, praising, and thanking!

Woot! Roku's History Channel app thingy has current episodes! I was afraid I'd have to wait until it was available on Amazon Prime.
    Last edited by Everlovin; September 19th, 2018 at 07:18 AM.

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

I recently looked up the history of the Kings of Wessex and an entry on wikipedia says:

"In the 20th century Æthelwulf's reputation among historians was poor: he was seen as excessively pious and impractical, and his pilgrimage was viewed as a desertion of his duties. Historians in the 21st century see him very differently, as a king who consolidated and extended the power of his dynasty, commanded respect on the continent, and dealt more effectively than most of his contemporaries with Viking attacks. He is regarded as one of the most successful West Saxon kings, who laid the foundations for the success of his son, Alfred the Great."

Seems like the Vikings aren't the only ones with whom they are playing fast and loose with the historical source material.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

I haven't been following this season at all but...is it as bad (comparatively) as I have been hearing?

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

It’s so much family drama now
    Spoiler:
    with the predicitbility of Ivar’s craziness and brother vs brother, not as entrhralling as it used to be. If this is the last season this would be good thing

I would say this season has been ok, but not the same for sure...I do enjoy some aspects still.

I've skipped over reading this thread for the moment as I'm playing catchup, and still on Season 2 (having recently watched the episode where King Borg(?) had his back sliced open and his lungs removed. Apparently resistance was indeed futile. So much for King Horik and co stating they'd help him escape, though I'm sure there reasons for not doing so will be revealed soon enough.

As you were!

Think I am done. A full season devoted to "Civil War" and no one of importance dies, especially Lagertha, whose time should have ended last season with Ragnar.

What a shame. This show had a fantastic first 30-ish episodes and a disappointing (with few exceptions) subsequent 30-ish episodes.

Well...****...I'm getting hyped again.

But I know I will be disappointed...again.

Guess I will wait until the whole half season is done before watching this one too.

Whelp.

It's still terrible.

But some good news: Season 6 will be its last, with a spinoff being pursued

This has been suspected now for I think like 2 months. Extras and other people have been talking about it on social media so it's nice to have it be confirmed.

Future spoilers (I'm not kidding)
    Spoiler:
    The final cast + crew photo shows the walls of Kattegat adorned with the standards of Harald, so I'm assuming that is the ultimate end to this series

While in a way I'm sad to see it go I honestly think it has vastly overstayed its welcome by this point. And if the same writers are involved in the spinoff I'm not certain I would want to watch that to be honest.

Last episode
    Spoiler:
    I think this is the first time I'm enjoying the whole Iceland soap opera, I was actually really surprised to see Edge (the big bulky Viking is an old WWE wrestler) go full revenge on the other family. Absolutely barbaric and brutal.

Having re-watched the whole series this year, I realized just how good the first seasons (1-2 most of 3) were compared to now. To be honest, I've been mad ever since Athelstan was killed off and hated Floki with a passion ever since. Even with all the bad press this season has been getting, I'm still enjoying the show so I'll probably watch the spin-off after S06.

The last (or the one before that?) episode depicting the battle of Morton was beautiful, loved the flashfowards of Alfred giving his speech mixed with an incredibly beautiful soundtrack.
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

It's a shame the battles are just so poorly choreographed compared to earlier...the first 3 seasons were just amazing. But I did watch just the clip of Marton. Shame they ultimately wasted JRM on such ****ty writing but the historical bishop DOES die there.

But...I recently read that season will have the Varangians. Too little too late but I'm assuming that is where the continuation will be. I would ****ing LOVE a Byzantine Empire series featuring them but I'm not sure the budget could handle that