Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
    Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
    Since it seemed that the shuttle had it's own power I think Eli might find a way to keep it up as a liveable space for the 3 years
    We've already had this discussion. The lack of a toilet would be a huge problem so I'll leave it at that before going into the rest of the argument against it.
    Actually, as Brother Freyr mentioned, Joe Mallozzi released the plans for what was to happen, and the shuttle was the most likely scenario, because just fixing the pod was too easy, and anything more elaborate would seem contrived.

He mentioned using the shuttle along with the docking bay corridor to create a living space. Eli's plan would wind up failing, and they would run out of power far short of the next galaxy. Within the first moments of the opener, Carter, McKay, and Daniel would gate onto the ship with Telford and further support teams/equipment, having solved the lack of power issue somewhere between 2 and 10 years.

They jokingly batted around different time scales, but thought 2-3 would be enough time that there's been only subtle changes on Earth, or Mallozzi personally advocating 10 years, because in that time, all of the crews' families would have moved on, creating a huge mine of story lines from the heroes' struggle coping with that.

Mallozzi also mentioned a fan theory that he liked, but was too out of character for Eli. When I read it, I instantly loved it, because it would've been an unbelievably gutsy move:
    Eli to Young: “I’m smarter than him. And all three of us know it.”

Rush isn’t just defined by his intelligence, though; it’s his Machiavellian use of it. What if Eli started down that same path? He’s standing on the balcony smiling because he’s got everyone right where he wants them.

Eli’s had total control of the drones since he brought that one on to the ship. He’s kept them attacking Destiny, but not destroying it, so that everyone would have no choice but to follow his plan and get into the stasis pods. One of them “happened” to malfunction, so he wouldn’t have to go into stasis.

Of course, one might wonder how he was able to control the drone attacks while simultaneously fighting them off. But the answer’s simple: he has an accomplice, Ginn. He didn’t keep her program in quarantine; he just wanted everyone to think that, so she could carry out her part of the plan covertly.

Now, with a drone army and control of Destiny, he can reawaken the crew members that he likes, turn Destiny around, and start taking over the galaxy, with the infrastructure created by the civilization that his alternate self built.”
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
      Actually, as Brother Freyr mentioned, Joe Mallozzi released the plans for what was to happen, and the shuttle was the most likely scenario, because just fixing the pod was too easy, and anything more elaborate would seem contrived.
      Where was this released? - Do you have a url?

Unless you can back up this claim (which you haven't yet) then what is the point mentioning it? The whole idea seems unworkable.

As for the drones idea, clever kinda but eli iisn't that sort of person and neither was Ginn. I do however like the idea of him having the ability to control them if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
        Where was this released? - Do you have a url?

Unless you can back up this claim (which you haven't yet) then what is the point mentioning it? The whole idea seems unworkable.
        Let's try to maintain a friendly tone here. As Brother Freyr's post in this thread says, this post is in Joe Mallozzi's blog. It is in his May 12, 2011 wordpress entry. Cheers

For clarity's sake, none of us (including JM) were saying that the shuttle is the definitive solution--there won't be one unless the producers are allowed to put out a film or book. My point was, go easier on Shadow_7, because his theory is just as valid as anyone else's--especially since it stands closest to what the producers had planned.
        Last edited by Ripple in Space; 08 June 2013, 11:52 AM.
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

I'm glad that Joe Mallozzi added weight to the shuttle as a way for Eli to survive. I'm not too keen on the rest of it though.

OK it could be possible for SG1 to come up with another power source given enough time and a bit of luck, but this just seems like a repeat of Atlantis Series 2 Ep 1. A bit of an anti climax as I was hoping for something really new and unexpected.

The idea that Eli could control the drones just by bringing one on board for a short time is totally ridiculous.
          Why didn't the Ursini think of that one? The drones just destroyed their entire civilisation and it appeared they had been fighting for some time.

Besides which how could one drone belonging to one command ship give Eli the ability to control all of the drones across the entire galaxy. And how did he manage to keep controlling them once Young had it destroyed? It's all too far fetched to be feasible.

It's also hard to see why Eli would be prepared to destroy the seed ship, damage Destiny, lose the shuttle, and put the crew at serious risk. Even Rush would not go this far.
          Last edited by Railgun; 08 June 2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Might just be a language thing but surely if Joe Malozzi released the "plan" it wouldn't be for a "most likely scenario" it would be for the "actual solution"...? Otherwise, it's just him guessing as much as us...

Comment

right...

Comment

Let's try to maintain a friendly tone here. As Brother Freyr's post in this thread says, this post is in Joe Mallozzi's blog. It is in his May 12, 2011 wordpress entry. Cheers
                Never read that one but I did read one the other day where someone asked him (via the mailbag) about destinys gates, destinys age etc and even Mallozi himself had no definitive answer other than something along the lines of "i suppose so".

The impression I get is they make up certain bits as they go along with no proper definitive plan.

Again, how would Eli survive with no food, water, toilet, air supply etc on a small shuttle? It's unworkable and if the producers were serious about this idea then SGU was going to go down the pan pretty quickly.

Comment

I suppose it's entirely possible they hadn't yet decided how to fix the problem... that they were assuming that they would only need to bother with a solution if they were renewed.

It's lazy but they could always have found another seed ship. Functional fault, e.g. in the engines, but still with loads of power.

Comment

There is a hundred ways they could have fixed the situation, thats what writers do. The shuttle could have worked combined with an EVA suit and a convenient find of food stores. He could also have fixed a stasis pod or many other ways, maybe hooked the shuttle into the ships systems to provide power to a limited area, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Durgia View Post
                      There is a hundred ways they could have fixed the situation, thats what writers do.
                      Exactly
                      TThe shuttle could have worked combined with an EVA suit and a convenient find of food stores.
                      That's the hard bit, not coming up with unbelievable options. Three years of crossing the inter-galactic void, there is literally nothing there. So no little moons stuffed with handy food supplies. And much repeated, at a practical level, there's no toilet on the shuttle.

I wonder if he could save sufficient energy by turning off the auto-gravity. Though I definitely got the impression that food/water were the bigger problem.

Comment

We had little information on how much food or water was on the ship at the end.

We were low on energy, but 1 person for 3 years would not require that much water. 500-1000 gallons over 3 years would be enough, which is nothing compared to what the whole crew would use in a few weeks. The same with food as minimum rations for 3 years would not be a huge amount for 1 person and they may have had enough on board.

Or some of the crates where the repair drone was found had some food proteins in them which could be EVA'd to. In 3 years he could explore a massive amount of ship in the EVA suit and find anything the writers need him to find.

Comment

Lets not forget, Food and Water was one of Youngs questions to Telford when he caught up in the seed ship so we know the producers were also keeping this in mind. Unless they can come up with a miracle food and water supply Eli needs a working stasis pod or he's gonna have to walk into the stargates buffer.

I know it's Sci-Fi people but you still need food, water, air and a toilet to survive.

Comment

Anyway, I know we had this discussion and all anyone needs to do is read back a few pages to see why it's totally possible to survive on minimum rations, but just to add..they are not short of food.

The main issue with the majority of that food they have is that it is perishable. Food goes off because of micro-organisms that grow on it. So if you irradiate it they die and food lasts longer. This method of food preservation is used here on earth.

Also micro-organisms need oxygen to survive.

So if Eli could find some way to zap the perishable food and then evacuate the storage compartment to space it would last much much longer.

Comment

500-1000 gallons over 3 years would be enough, which is nothing compared to what the whole crew would use in a few weeks.
                              Yeah but what happens when the rest of the crew come out of stasis and find that there is not much water left to survive on?

Where does Eli release his urine? Everyone still seems to be forgetting the real life practical side of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
                                Anyway, I know we had this discussion and all anyone needs to do is read back a few pages to see why it's totally possible to survive on minimum rations, but just to add..they are not short of food.
                                No-one has denied that. What I keep mentioning however is that the shuttle has no toiletry facilities, cooking facilities, entertainment to keep someone sein for 3 years...

We still do not know how the shuttle is powered either. It seems many of you are assuming it has an unlimited power source yet we know this is not the case as was stated when the crew from the alien created planet returned and under hypnosis one of them recalled the shuttle power running out.

Therefore the shuttle must be recharging from destiny itself. Destiny doesn't have an unlimited power supply either as we all know and thats why everyone has gone into stasis in the first place..

Comment

Working...
                                X