Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
    We're talking about vast, vast, vast amounts of data needed to store the quantum state of the entire buffer. Why does it need to be digital?
    It doesn't need to be digital. I was using that as an example. The ancients have almost certainly got much smarter and more reliable tech.

The point is though, look how reliable digital tech is over analogue tech. Old cassette tapes aren't exactly reliable yet a thumb drive can hold data for years / decades without a problem. The ancients tech was far superior to ours, it makes no sense for the buffer or other storage medium to be unreliable.

The ancients would be smart enough to realise glitches in gates could occur and that the buffer would need to be reliable.

Comment

And yet hi-fi fans assure me that vinyl and valves gives a "better" sound than CDs...

Comment

Lol thats true in many ways it does sound more natural and Vinyl although a bit fragile will also hold its music for many years without hassle assuming no-one scratches it.

My point is though (which everyone seems to want to argue against) is that the ancients tech was far more advanced than ours and there is simply no reason for it to be unreliable when it comes to data storage.

It seems that some folks round here are trying to invent new problems for Eli's survival rather than give him a fighting chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
          (Travel through wormholes, anyone?)
          Carter only speculated that it was an artificial event horizon for a wormhole. Think about it, although the film and show did portray a wormhole in a few places, it's more likely that the gates would simply transmit the buffer data through a subspace connection before the gate at the other end reassembles everything again.

One major flaw in the show was that you're disassembled yet apparently can still see your travel through a wormhole. Carters father even commented on the ride when they took him to meet the tok'ra. In reality if you've been disassembled then you're not going to be aware of any of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
            Carter only speculated that it was an artificial event horizon for a wormhole. Think about it, although the film and show did portray a wormhole in a few places, it's more likely that the gates would simply transmit the buffer data through a subspace connection before the gate at the other end reassembles everything again.

One major flaw in the show was that you're disassembled yet apparently can still see your travel through a wormhole. Carters father even commented on the ride when they took him to meet the tok'ra. In reality if you've been disassembled then you're not going to be aware of any of it.

jacob only said that "what a ride" as in how he felt being disassembled and reassembled... there was no implication, ever, that anyone saw anything during that travel and it was cgi just for us viewers...

Comment

Originally posted by destiny khan View Post
              there was no implication, ever, that anyone saw anything during that travel
              But there was clearly indication that there was a real 'wormhole' which would be struck by solar flares. Wormhole tends to suggest physical objects can pass through it don't you think?

Then we have the episode where the wormhole affects a planets star. They then have to pull a clever trick with the wormhole to fix it.

Comment

True the wormhole has a physical (or at least energy) aspect, but those going through it are in pure energy form.. so i doubt anyone sees anything.

Comment

Ok so it doesnt tax the gate to store the data of a person nor does the gate need to remain open also a wormhole has a mana stream similar to the rings however it is a lot faster so u could think of it as Rings V2 storing himself in the gate buffer would be the most logical option, i also thought that maybe he would upload himself into Destiny and to fix the body issue he may be able to use the pods to borrow someone elses body when need be like switch consciousness assuming that the pods store the consciousness in a buffer

Comment

it would also be possible that Elai would be able to ascend and return similar to daniel jackson maybe he disappears from the ship in this way for a few episodes and they find him on a planet , also i cant see my post i made so ill just make another one with a brief overview of what it said. Stargates make wormholes, the wormhole is similar to that of the datastream caused by the ring transports and due to the gate not needing power just to store elai in the buffer 1 dial to wouldnt cut into the 2 weeks he had

Comment

I don't see Eli being anywhere close to being able to Ascend unless someone helped him, and since Oma is out of the picture, only the 'planet builders' if they are also ascended might be able to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        I don't see Eli being anywhere close to being able to Ascend unless someone helped him, and since Oma is out of the picture, only the 'planet builders' if they are also ascended might be able to do so.
                        And that would be too much of a deus ex machina. (I would hope.)

Comment

The simplest solution is the the interface chair.
                          Thinking about it, I realized in the episode that Franklin disappeared and Destiny locked the others out of the room, that the room itself was one large stasis pod.
                          Fist the chair connects to the mind, then freezes the body (this is so the computer can read the bodies state without Brownian motion interfering) while it uploads the mind. Once the mind is upload it deconstructs the body for digital storage.

In this light, Eli could do one of two things figure out how to get his body back out, and his mind downloaded back into his body, or figure out how to stop the upload of his mind and body and just use the stasis function of the room.

Eli could also release Ginn and Perry from quarantine, to aid him in finding the solution. Aslo as far as anyone knows Franklin is still present and loose in the computer system.

Comment

Originally posted by SilenceOz View Post
                            I like the storing in buffer idea.
                            But it doesn't seem realistic, Eli only has limited knowledge on how the Gates work.

He watched a SGC doco by Daniel I doubt it would of covered that.

He could of used the stones to go back to Earth as much as he wanted for information and second opinions.

I really doubt the Eli being integrated into the Destiny would of flown though, he was the main character they wouldn't have him run around without a real body.
                            Storing someone in digital/data form inside the gate buffer has always been a great idea because they could just activate the gate and re-materialise him like they did when Teal'c was stuck in the gate.

You could have a bit of fun and say that he used the chair and was integrated with Destiny, then he downloaded himself in to a repair robot to give him more time to try and repair the pod at which point he would then use the gate to bring himself back to human form and get in the pod, but he failed and when everyone wakes up they see a little Eli-d2 roaming around haha

Comment

Originally posted by Bladed View Post
                              The simplest solution is the the interface chair.
                              Thinking about it, I realized in the episode that Franklin disappeared and Destiny locked the others out of the room, that the room itself was one large stasis pod.
                              Fist the chair connects to the mind, then freezes the body (this is so the computer can read the bodies state without Brownian motion interfering) while it uploads the mind. Once the mind is upload it deconstructs the body for digital storage.

In this light, Eli could do one of two things figure out how to get his body back out, and his mind downloaded back into his body, or figure out how to stop the upload of his mind and body and just use the stasis function of the room.

Eli could also release Ginn and Perry from quarantine, to aid him in finding the solution. Aslo as far as anyone knows Franklin is still present and loose in the computer system.
                              how much power would that take though?

Comment

Strictly speaking, so long as it took less than a single sleep pod... [not that I think uploading his body would!]

Comment

Working...
                                X