Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    NOpe/ As i mentioned before, both with the Teal'c incident and in 38 minutes (SGA) the gate storing the data was cause it received it via an incoming wormhole. i cannot remember us diaing out to store something, just the connect up we used to REINTEGRATE teal'c..
    So the fact remains, he still won't get into the gate to be stored.
    How many more times must I repeat this?

*JUST BECAUSE* thats how it was done in 48 hours does not mean the stargate cannot be reconfigured. There IS a buffer there built into the stargate to hold the matter stream. That means with some tinkering / reprogramming, the stargate can be instructed to do things differently - taking the matter through the demolecularisation process and storing it in the buffer as normal but NOT sending it.

A bit like when you send an email in outlook but you go into the options and change then to "Do not deliver before xxxxx". Next you'll be telling me that Outlook (with MS Exchange) doesn't do that...

The point is, Destiny is not a normal ship. It's gate it not a normal gate, they are hooked up together. Destiny can communicate with many stargates directly (so far the only ship we know that can do this) and its stargate has two programming consoles in the gate room.

Why can't you get used to this idea?

Comment

NOpe/ As i mentioned before, both with the Teal'c incident and in 38 minutes (SGA) the gate storing the data was cause it received it via an incoming wormhole. i cannot remember us diaing out to store something, just the connect up we used to REINTEGRATE teal'c..
      So the fact remains, he still won't get into the gate to be stored.
      It's true that we never saw anyone stored in the "dialing out" stargate's buffer, but SG-1 episodes told us that the "sending" gate doesn't send an object through the wormhole until it detects that the complete object has passed the event horizon. That's why you can stick your arm in and pull it back out. The wormhole can't detect if you're whole body is through or not, or whether your whole ship is through or not. The wormhole doesn't wait and then say, aha, now that you've stepped completely into me, I'll send you to the other end. Technology does that. And that means the stargate. Presumably, the way to accomplish it is with a buffer, the same buffer that a receiving stargate uses to store incoming objects before re-materializing them. How can that be, you ask? How can something both pass the event horizon and simultaneously be held back by the gate? We don't know. It's not as if we understand how these fictional stargates interface with these fictional wormholes. The stargate mythology, however, does support the possibility of Eli figuring out how to use the stargate's outgoing functionality to store himself in the outgoing gate's buffer. Without a wormhole. Doesn't matter that we didn't see it happen before. We know there's a buffer. We know stargates don't allow outgoing objects through the wormhole until the entire object is through the horizon, presumably by using the same buffer it uses for the same function on the receiving end. There's nothing in the stargate mythology to suggest it can't be done, and there's a fair bit of evidence that it can be done.
      Last edited by Brother Freyr; 24 February 2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
        How many more times must I repeat this?

*JUST BECAUSE* thats how it was done in 48 hours does not mean the stargate cannot be reconfigured. There IS a buffer there built into the stargate to hold the matter stream. That means with some tinkering / reprogramming, the stargate can be instructed to do things differently - taking the matter through the demolecularisation process and storing it in the buffer as normal but NOT sending it.
        OK.. And where is eli going to get the power/tools/info on how to do said modifications/instruction/reprogramming etcfrom?

Comment

Re-watching 'Tangent', O'Neill and Teal'c are trapped in an experimental fighter with failing life support. Teal'c is able to conserve Oxygen significantly by going into a deep state of kel'no'reem.

Eli could use the stones to swap with a Jaffa and use this tactic to reduce his physical needs.

Comment

What David Blue thinks happened to Eli:
            "I do think Eli survived," Blue said. "I think he would have figured out a way to get the power back on and gone on his own adventures for three years or more. And I'd like to believe that's what happened, and that's what's still happening, and maybe one day we'll find out what those adventures were."

http://www.blastr.com/2013-2-26/davi...medium=twitter
            sigpic

Comment

OK.. And where is eli going to get the power/tools/info on how to do said modifications/instruction/reprogramming etcfrom?
              Puh-leeze. No power tools required. It's a programming problem to have the gate do what it usually does but without establishing a wormhole. Hell it could even make a wormhole, so long as it doesn't dump its buffer into the wormhole. The show's writers could easily have some combination of Eli, Destiny, Ginn, and Dr. [I-forget-her-name] solve the problem.

Comment

Eli locates a star with a drone command ship where Destinty can recharge. He reconfigures the shields to the narrow frequency that makes Desting virtually invulnerable to the drone weapons fire and programs the computer to revert to full spectrum shields if the drones start kamikaze runs. He does the same with the shuttle.

He drops out of FTL a short distance away, but out of drone sensor range sends the shuttle in first, but when the drone command ship launches the drones the shuttle runs away drawing the drones away from the drone command ship. Destiny then jumps in to engage the drone command ship. It should be an easy battle with no drone support. The drone command ship is destroyed.

Eli takes Destiny into the star to recharge and then picks up as many of the dormant drones as he can.
                He reprograms the drones massively increasing Destiny's weapons capability for the next encounter.

No more need for the 3 years stasis thing.
                Last edited by Railgun; 01 March 2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilenceOz View Post
                  Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?
                  Unless someone writes a book to resolve the cliffhanger, we'll never know.

Originally posted by SilenceOz View Post
                  What solutions would you use for the 2 weeks he had left?
                  I'd use the stones to get Carter and McKay to take turns in my body, fixing the stasis pod.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
                    Eli locates a star with a seed ship
                    The point of the problem being that they're crossing an inter-galactic void where there are no stars?

Comment

Eli could use the stones to swap with a Jaffa and use this tactic to reduce his physical needs.
                      What.. for 3 years? - No food, no water, nothing.. for 3 years...

Railgun, you seriously need to get a grip on reality. Frankly I think he has a better chance of ascension.

Eli locates a star with a seed ship where Destinty can recharge.
                      In the middle of nowhere between galaxies? Ok, sure in the last episode Eli did talk about skimming round the edge of the galaxy and bypassing it technically meaning that he could still in theory spot a star to recharge from but they had already determined the location of all the drones and decided that there was nowhere to recharge from.

He reconfigures the shields to the narrow frequency that makes Desting virtually invulnerable to the drone weapons fire and programs the computer to revert to full spectrum shields if the drones start kamikaze runs. He does the same with the shuttle.

He drops out of FTL a short distance away, but out of drone sensor range sends the shuttle in first, but when the seed ship launches the drones the shuttle runs away drawing the drones away from the seed ship. Destiny then jumps in to engage the seed ship. It should be an easy battle with no drone support. The seed ship is destroyed.

Eli takes Destiny into the star to recharge and then picks up as many of the dormant drones as he can.
                      He reprograms the drones massively increasing Destiny's weapons capability for the next encounter.

No more need for the 3 years stasis thing.
                      Apart from the random star that doesn't exist, the rest of it I like and I'd been planning on using the large number of dead drones idea myself in my fanfic but this would be more than a one man job. It took them 3 people in a shuttle just to catch ONE then 4-6 to carry it aboard destiny. How on earth do you think Eli could do that by himself? - he couldn't.

For someone who has a degree in chemistry I find your ideas hard to believe. Not only do you think he could survive in a shuttle (even though theres not enough power for its life support) but you also think he could use a bucket or go and dump in destiny when there is no life support. Seriously Railgun, I don't actually believe you have a degree in chemistry, you're just not mature and forward thinking enough (thats not intended as an insult but more of a fact).

You're also muddling up the seed and drone command ships too.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        I'd use the stones to get Carter and McKay to take turns in my body, fixing the stasis pod.
                        Yeah but out of the two of them who would you actually TRUST to get it done the right way? lol

Comment

What.. for 3 years? - No food, no water, nothing.. for 3 years...

Railgun, you seriously need to get a grip on reality. Frankly I think he has a better chance of ascension.
                          Lol, You funny!
                          In reality it is perfectly possible for Eli to survive. In YOUR fictional universe it is not. And even though Stargate is fictional I think the writers like to at least try to stay within the bounds on MOST already provable physical constraints. Arguably not everything though since they have FTL, but I'm assuming the Ancients are somewhat smarter than Einstein and prove his theories wrong at some point.

Did you watch the news today? Some billionare is going to send 2 people to Mars and back in 500 days in a tiny space capsule. This is science FACT.
                          How do you think they are going to survive? They have way less stuff than Eli. It is reported they will be drinking their own sweat during the journey!

In the middle of nowhere between galaxies? Ok, sure in the last episode Eli did talk about skimming round the edge of the galaxy and bypassing it technically meaning that he could still in theory spot a star to recharge from but they had already determined the location of all the drones and decided that there was nowhere to recharge from.
                          OK, well they are not in the middle of nowhere though. The whole point of the journey is to travel through the rest of the galaxy that they are in(which is blockaded by drones) and then cross the space between the galaxies into the next galaxy. Since they only just went into stasis they are well and truly still within the galaxy with lots of stars to choose from. in fact we even saw the huge number of stars that they would pass in show as it was mentioned that they were all blockaded.

Apart from the random star that doesn't exist, the rest of it I like and I'd been planning on using the large number of dead drones idea myself in my fanfic but this would be more than a one man job. It took them 3 people in a shuttle just to catch ONE then 4-6 to carry it aboard destiny. How on earth do you think Eli could do that by himself? - he couldn't.

For someone who has a degree in chemistry I find your ideas hard to believe. Not only do you think he could survive in a shuttle (even though theres not enough power for its life support) but you also think he could use a bucket or go and dump in destiny when there is no life support. Seriously Railgun, I don't actually believe you have a degree in chemistry, you're just not mature and forward thinking enough (thats not intended as an insult but more of a fact).
                          I don't see any reason why Eli couldn't wake up some or all of the crew to help him. Their requirement to be in satsis is now negated by the new plan.

You're also muddling up the seed and drone command ships too.
                          OK, yeah you are right I meant to say drones command ship. That was a typo.

You know, they didn't teach us much Stargate on my Chemistry course lol

Also, As to the original question. Although I don't think Eli actually needs to go into stasis as there are several alternatives( As mentioned ). If he did want to try to go into stasis it may still be possible. On the assumption that the Ancient pods work Cryogenically, ie freeze the person. If he can get the freezing part to work he could then evacuate a room in the ship and allow the nothingness of space to keep him cool. The others could then figure a way to revive him once they come out of the stasis pods at the end of the 3years.
                          Last edited by Railgun; 28 February 2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Did you watch the news today? Some billionare is going to send 2 people to Mars and back in 500 days in a tiny space capsule. This is science FACT. How do you think they are going to survive? They have way less stuff than Eli. It is reported they will be drinking their own sweat during the journey!
                            The difference is that the capsule will be fully powered to its design specification. Every system will be running at full capacity and with a spare or two. Even if that means recycling sweat, that's what's been designed. On Destiny there will be no power and all systems are designed for "normal" use. To recycle bodily water would need further modification, which there is very little time (and no power) to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                              The difference is that the capsule will be fully powered to its design specification. Every system will be running at full capacity and with a spare or two. Even if that means recycling sweat, that's what's been designed. On Destiny there will be no power and all systems are designed for "normal" use. To recycle bodily water would need further modification, which there is very little time (and no power) to do.
                              Where does it say this about "normal use" in the show? The truth is we don't know that much about what Destiny was designed to call "normal" in the first place.

The Ancient space suit is documented as having the facility for the wearer to relieve themselves while wearing.(http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Ancie...ronmental_suit)
                              It is also air tight so will capture all moisture lost as sweat. So it's either going to have a nozzle somewhere to decant the dirty water off or possibly has a self cleaning system built in. It is advanced Ancient tech after all so I wouldn't put it past them!

In the event that the water is not cleaned by the suit there would still be the possibility of cleaning the water up manually using water purification tablets which are standard military issue so would likely have been brought through in the original journey. Eli should check the luggage. failing that I don't think it's beyond the bounds of his ingenuity to come up with a makeshift survival water purifier. It's likely all military personnel have been trained on this anyway in case they end up stranded in a war situation without clean water.

Considering that they had a nice pool of water for Dr Park to jump in I'd say they arn't really that short of water anyway. It's always possible Destiny has some in a non-essential cooling subsystem(or the like) somewhere that could be syphoned off too. It's a big ship.

Actually, when you really think about it, Destiny is also mostly sealed to space so the water vapour given off by the crew will likely just condense somewhere probably on the outer walls of the craft or a purpose built condenser,and be collected by some automated system of the ship, otherwise where is all that water going?

I think Rush found a swimming pool but kept it secret.
                              Last edited by Railgun; 28 February 2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

You know Railgun, with each post you make where you try to drag Destiny into a situation you made up instead of going with the plot / storyline provided, I loose more and more respect for you.

There is a stargate onboard the ship. We know that the gates can store matter streams in their buffers. We know the stargates hold complex computers and we know that Destiny is linked directly to its stargate allowing it to be computer controlled directly.

Now you're aware of this knowledge and that your colleagues are all in stasis, not aging, not growing beards and not alone. What would you want to do? - Fix the pod / use the stargate for preservation OR struggle for 3 years in almost disgusting conditions with no power to even keep you alive? - Knowing that when the crew wake (to air which they can barely breath - see next paragraph) that they'll see you looking like a disgusting tramp. Then there are the laundry requirements.. presumably there is a laundry system onboard destiny (although we've never seen it).. where is 3 years of power coming for that?

While you keep banging on about the lack of need for life support, I've already explained this one to you. When the crew are woken up, they'll be woken to a ship full of carbon dioxide and will not be able to breath. Thats why the life support is pretty important but you still refuse to accept this.

In your last post you suggested that they use a shuttle to distract the drones. Slight problem there.. the drones split into groups and attack multiple targets. Oh and they only have _O_N_E_ shuttle left to use. Remember they used the second one to blow the hell out of another command ship at the end of s2. Do you really think they'll waste their one and only shuttle now? - I certainly don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X