Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Major General

Default Re: Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Quizziard View Post
    Wouldn't the genius that is Eli be able to come up with a way of setting the gate so that it thinks it's already dialled, or similar, to prevent another incoming connection?
    That;s assuming there is a way to program around that safety feature.

We know from Atlantis (as I've already pointed out, that the gates can operate on a blacklist or whitelist and have addresses rejected or accepted. This is how the wraith never managed to dial into Atlantis in the 10k years that it was submerged - because Earth was the only address on the whitelist.
    But those were the more 'up to date' gates..

Only real question is, how much power (which they're drastically short of, remember) does it take to fire up the Stargate and store Eli for three years? Otherwise, it seems like a pretty plausible way out of their problem.
    That to me would be the biggest reason he wouldn't go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
    The SGC? I thought it was McKay and Zelenka?
    Yes you're correct, it was McKay and Zelenka. My main point was the Tau'ri in general using Ancient tech in a somewhat "unorthodox" manner.

Only real question is, how much power (which they're drastically short of, remember) does it take to fire up the Stargate and store Eli for three years? Otherwise, it seems like a pretty plausible way out of their problem.
    One solution to the power issue is to have the shuttle power hooked straight into the gate.
    Could be possible to bridge the connection.

The problem with Teal'c was the gates "crystals" were holding the energy and a new gate dial would flush the crystals.

Also the energy would dissipate over time.
    If the Shuttle could keep the gate powered and keep the energy stable for those 3 years he should be ok.

Obviously some tech issues that would cause problems but its Sci Fi they could just bull crap it.

I doubt the Stargate would ever be used to store people(it's way too dangerous, hell they blew up a DHD when it happened to Teal'c), but I think either Eli managed to fix the pod or transferred himself into Destiny

"Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

Second Lieutenant Energizer_Vs_ZPM's Avatar

Yeah but what you have to remember back then is that the SGC was still in its infancy when it came to understanding the stargate and the DHD. Although they had some intel on what to do, it still doesn't mean that was right OR that they understood it 100%.

The point is, the matter stream WAS successfully stored. It WAS successfully retrieved and it WAS successfully output through an event horizon. That means it can be done but the technique might just need perfecting a bit.

The more I think about it, the more I think it could work. If Eli used the communication stones to lock Destiny's gate out from any incoming nine chevron calls for a pre-determined amount of time (I think they estimated the journey to the next galaxy would take approximately three years, so perhaps Eli programmed Destiny to deactivate the block after three years) then storing himself in the gate buffer may be a good idea, at least for a plan B.

In the meantime, I'd hope that the SGC were committing its resources to scouring for a new planet to dial from and perhaps developing a way to interface their Naquadah generators with Destiny so that if they are able to dial Destiny after three years or so and send a care package, then they could send some generators to help power Destiny on the off chance that it's run out of power short of their destination.

I know we've said Earth would never put so much effort and resources into rescuing a mere 80 people, but I think the implications of having a reliable, consistent connection to Destiny are significant and in Earth's best interests to pursue.

Chief Master Sergeant

Not sure it even needs a high-tech solution. I think Eli lives in the shuttle or space suit for the duration and probably has enough food/water/oxygen just for himself since everyone else is in stasis.

He uses the time to keep investigating the Destiny database to learn more Ancient stuff and try to find a way to free Ginn. He uses the stones to visit Earth and work with SGC on technology transfer.

Captain

I got the impression that there wouldn't be enough power/food/water (delete as applicable) even for that, and it was (at the time of saying goodbye to the Colonel) a non-survivable option.

Joe Mallozzi described several scenarios that the writers kicked around for the question of what happens to Eli. It's an interesting read. If you like this thread, you'll like that blog post. (If you find it, post a link here for the others please.)

Quote Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
    Not sure it even needs a high-tech solution. I think Eli lives in the shuttle or space suit for the duration and probably has enough food/water/oxygen just for himself since everyone else is in stasis.
    In Guantlet it was quite clearly explained that there was not enough supplies for a 3 year trip. Granted that was for the entire crew but Young did say they barely had enough for a month. That still wouldn't last Eli a 3 year journey even if the shuttles had a fridge freezer to store food. Then there is the lack of a toilet.. The lack of long term life support (Don't forget, the shuttles recharge directly from Destiny sucking more power from it). Using the shuttles just isn't feasible. You're forgetting the very basics of survival are not offered by a shuttle for the long term.

The stargate at least offers matter stream storage in a buffer. I know people have been banging on about the power requirements for that but who says there are any at all? - Your usb thumb drive doesn't need power to keep its files intact does it! The ancients were far smarter than us so I think its safe to say that the gate will hold onto the buffer in case of emergency power cuts etc.

Chief Master Sergeant

Enough food for the whole crew for 1 month each should be enough for 1 crew member to survive for 36 months even with some spoilage. May also be possible to salvage some of the hydroponics setup to grow more food/oxygen en route.

CO2 scrubbers were a chemical reaction so should keep working. So no problem with oxygen.

Using only the life support on the shuttle would use a lot less power than regular use of the shuttle. By wearing the space suit sometimes Eli could extend this further if needed.

It's life or death for Eli so I think he could use a bucket or something lol

Edit: Actually the obvious solution would be Eli eats the food and stays alive for as long as he can then he swaps with someone in stasis and they starve for as long as they can then swap with the next person and do that through the whole crew.
    Last edited by Railgun; February 19th, 2013 at 05:43 AM.

Captain

Your usb thumb drive doesn't need power to keep its files intact does it!
    Once the pattern/data is IN the thumb drive, no. But it does take some power to get it in to begin with...

May also be possible to salvage some of the hydroponics setup to grow more food/oxygen en route.
    But the ships systems have been shutdown in order to have enough energy to make it to the next galaxy. Where do you think the energy to keep hydroponics is going to come fr

CO2 scrubbers were a chemical reaction so should keep working. So no problem with oxygen.
    May be a chemical reaction but the air is still pumped through them in order to scrub it. That requires pumps and plenty of them in order to keep the air flowing through the scrubbers. It was clearly stated that there would be maximum life support of just two weeks.

Using only the life support on the shuttle would use a lot less power than regular use of the shuttle.
    Where is this stated? - The shuttles entire systems would be powered up so it will still be sapping energy continually and this wasn't calculated into the power equations for the jump to the next galaxy. What I'm saying is that there was not enough power to run the shuttle.
    By wearing the space suit sometimes Eli could extend this further if needed.

It's life or death for Eli so I think he could use a bucket or something lol
    Death it is then. You do know that human waste produces methane gas and carbon dioxide don't you? Without enough surplas power to run the shuttle that will kill Eli if he hasn't choked on his own vomit first (caused by the stench).

Edit: Actually the obvious solution would be Eli eats the food and stays alive for as long as he can then he swaps with someone in stasis and they starve for as long as they can then swap with the next person and do that through the whole crew.
    But just waking up other crew members and then going back into stasis will consume even more energy. It's like starting a car.. the starter motor draws a lot of power to start the car. It then uses a lot of energy to start moving. To stop it it consumes energy to apply the brakes (the ecu injects more fuel to increase the engine power so that it has enough power to brake without stalling). While running at a nominal speed however, it doesn't use quite as much energy or fuel as it is at a stable speed with no heavy acceleration or braking.

To put it bluntly, using the shuttle or even a space suit is not only practically impossible but also theoretically impossible. Then you have the boredom, the mental health, the lack of space, lack of excercise etc. Could you survive in the space of a shuttle for 3 years in the middle of nowehere, no friends, no family, nothing to do, no facilities and not have a single panic attack?

You've just not thought it through.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizziard;1371106
    Once the pattern/data is IN the thumb drive, no. But it does take some power to get it in to begin with...
    Yes which the ship has. Once the memory is written it doesn't need power to preserve it and THAT is the point I am making.

Major General

Plus the "Buffer storage" method happened to Tea'lc coming INTO the SGC gate.. not as an outgoing or 'just dial to get an event horizon' aspect. Heck do we even know that the gate can make an event horizon without connecting to somewhere else??

Yes which the ship has. Once the memory is written it doesn't need power to preserve it and THAT is the point I am making.
    But getting it INTO the gate's buffer will be the issue... He can't dial somewhere else to get a connection/event horizon. We have only seen 1 instance of it even happening in the past and as mentioned above, that was with an INCOMING wormhole.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Plus the "Buffer storage" method happened to Tea'lc coming INTO the SGC gate.. not as an outgoing or 'just dial to get an event horizon' aspect. Heck do we even know that the gate can make an event horizon without connecting to somewhere else??
    You just said it yourself, it happened with Tealc so yes the gate can create an artificial event horizon without a connection.

But getting it INTO the gate's buffer will be the issue... He can't dial somewhere else to get a connection/event horizon. We have only seen 1 instance of it even happening in the past and as mentioned above, that was with an INCOMING wormhole.
    Yes but the gate on destiny is hooked into destinys computers. Eli is the computer kid. Destiny is no ordinary ship with a gate, it's the ship that can communicate with gates in real-time via a subspace link and do all sorts of unknown fancy stuff based on its mission. I think it would be fair to say that Eli could reprogram the gate to create an event horizon and then store the matter stream in the buffer. As for the incoming / outgoing thing, yes there is still a buffer for outgoing. Do you not remember the PJ getting stuck in Atlantis? - They put shepherd in the puddle to preserve him in the gates buffer.

As the gates can only send in one direction at a time - incoming / outgoing, I think it would be fair to assume that the same buffer is used for incoming and outgoing wormholes and that the buffer / person could be input AND output via the same gate.

Captain

You just said it yourself, it happened with Tealc so yes the gate can create an artificial event horizon without a connection.
    The incident with Teal'c involved a fully connected wormhole.

The incident with Teal'c involved a fully connected wormhole.
    For the input yes but not for the output. It output him through an event horizon yet there was no wormhole connection - that is my point.

Major General

BUT what we are saying is that with teal'c, he was stored cause he came Into the SGC gate via a fully connected wormhole, but was kept in the buffer cause the wormhole got disconnected before fully intergrating him.
    How is eli going to duplicate that?

*SIGH*

Again, by reconfiguring the gate via the computer terminals. As I've stated already, Destiny and its gate are not a normal setup. They're both wired into the ships systems and so should be able to reconfigure the gate programmatically instead of crystal swapping.

BUT what we are saying is that with teal'c, he was stored cause he came Into the SGC gate via a fully connected wormhole, but was kept in the buffer cause the wormhole got disconnected before fully intergrating him.
    A stargate, not a wormhole, de-materialized Teal'c on one end, and a stargate (not a wormhole) eventually re-integrated him on the SGC end. The techno-babble in that episode established that the wormhole is only a conveyance. Wormholes are the phone lines, and stargates are the telephones. The gates themselves handle all of the de-materializing and re-integration. Thus, a wormhole (according the stargate mythology) isn't theoretically needed for a stargate to dematerialize matter. Normally, it de-materializes matter and stores the information (energy pattern? whatever) in the buffer until it detects that the entire object is processed, then and only then sending the energy (or whatever) into the wormhole for transportation. (That part was revealed in yet a different episode.) Eli could theoretically store himself in the buffer, without a wormhole, assuming the stargate has sufficent power for that operation.

Note: I don't really like the way the pseudo-science developed on this one, but we're stuck with what we have.
    Last edited by Brother Freyr; February 20th, 2013 at 04:36 PM.