Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate is dead because the producers ran out of steam.. seriously?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate is dead because the producers ran out of steam.. seriously?

I've just come here to look at the latest list of topics. As I scroll down, I see one topic after another that ends with:

?

Yes, a question mark. There are so many unanswered questions, so many unanswered possibilities that the fans have put forward, so many ifs, what-ifs, maybes etc that it is unreal that the SG franchise has been canned.

All they needed to do was silently snoop or even ask us for ideas, questions we wanted answered etc and we could have fan powered even more plots.

Now I know I've not been a registered poster for long but I've been subscribed to the gateworld RSS news feed for years and I don't ever recall seeing any oppotunity like this.

If you want my opinion on what brought SG to its knees its Robert Cooper, Brad Wright and the other guy who's name I can never remember. All they needed to do was interact with us just a little and we could have steered them in the right direction to keep the show alive. Hell, we could have even saved SGU (now that really was a great show by the end of S2).

Gutted, I really am gutted. So many question marks and so few answers written into the scripts to answer them.

/rant

I think the old pro/anti threads would easily dispprove such a claim of doing what the fans want
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Asking fans what they want is useless, since there are as many opinions as there are fans, and contradictory opinions at that.

Luckily the old pro/anti threads have dropped out of sight, things got pretty hot in here until the admins with the help of the mods decided to put a stop to that a good few years ago now.

Obviously, I have no idea how long you've been lurking here, Energizer, but at least your registration date is recent enough to show that you probably have no idea what we mean by the old pro/anti threads.
      sigpic

Comment

i think a lot of shows/producers/writers run out of steam. it's pretty natural i think. we all do it.

maybe when a series runs a certain length of time, it should be mandatory for the writers to watch their earlier stuff.
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
          Obviously, I have no idea how long you've been lurking here, Energizer, but at least your registration date is recent enough to show that you probably have no idea what we mean by the old pro/anti threads.
          I have no idea either - pro and anti what?

And I have been under the impression that the main reason Stargate failed is that MGM went bankrupt. No?
          sigpic

Comment

The producers did not kill the franchise. SGA fans not watching SGU did not kill the franchise. The franchise was not killed by anyone. Let's review...

Original Movie: The sequels didn't happen, because Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner made SG-1 before Ronald Emmerich and Dean Devlin got around to Stargate 2. With the television saga being so popular and the DVD's selling well, it's unlikely that Emmerich and Devlin's two sequels will ever happen.

SG-1: It had a ten year run, anyone who'd complain about the cancellation is either crazy or ungrateful. Seriously, American science-fiction shows are usually short lived. Ten years! Wow. Due to the abrupt ending thanks to SciFi, we got two movies to wrap up loose ends. Honestly, I never expected a movie. It seemed like everyone was moving on and putting all of the focus on Atlantis. I figure if we ever did see a third movie, it'd be based on SGA, not SG-1.

Atlantis: Cancelled in favor of moving forward with SGU. Yeah, yeah, it was getting expensive, but face it... If SGU wasn't proposed, MGM and SciFi probably would have given the show at least one more season. I had hope for a movie, but when the sets came down, the ship had sailed. It was over at that point, because the sets, props, and other stuff were being sold and auctioned to help MGM out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Universe: It failed to bring in a large enough audience to warrant a third season. A movie based on a cancelled show with a tiny audience? Right...

Conclusion: SG-1 had a long run with two wrap up movies. Awesome. SGA ended to make room for a third series. Awesome. SGU was a disappointment and a ratings disaster, cancelled. No fourth series, because MGM and Syfy decided the saga was no longer profitable. This isn't complicated, folks.

Comment

While I do like SGU It's not my favorite out of the three and if I'd had a choice between another season for Atlantis and doing SGU I'd have probably wanted another season for Atlantis, but it did still have 5 years and that's better then a lot of new shows now who are getting cancelled in the middle of their first season or by the second and it's really disappointing when that happens, when you get into a show and you become hooked only for it to get cancelled. It's like with Killer Instinct (yeah I know not Sci-Fi) I loved that show and I wanted to see more but then they cancelled it.

But I definitely agree Snowman 37 we did have 10 years with Stargate and that's brilliant, and two films after it. And then Atlantis had 5 years. And while I would absolutely love for them both to come back or at least Atlantis, I'm happy that we at least have that much.
              sigpic
              McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
              Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
              ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

SGU really needs to be ended properly(Gauntlet=crappy finale nr.1)
                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post

Universe: A movie based on a cancelled show with a tiny audience? Right...
                  Happened with Firefly.
                  sigpic

Comment

Firefly never had a tiny audience. It was several times larger than SGU's anyway.

Comment

Was twice as large as SGU in season one and by the end of season 2 (after everyone had, wrongly, given up on it) it was 4 times.

From an English perspective, I hadn't heard a single thing about Firefly until Serenity actually came out. Saw no advertising at all for the show back when it was out. Was pretty much all Buffy, Angel, SG-1, whichever Star Trek was around back then and a few others. Nothing about Firefly.

As soon as SGU hit, advertising was pretty much everywhere a sci fi fan would be/look, seemed a massive deal at the time and then it started and it just kind of faded after an episode or 2.
                      sigpic

Comment

FOX didn't get Firefly. It was poorly promoted, aired out of order, and cancelled without airing three episodes. The two-hour pilot wasn't aired in favor of a second pilot. The actual pilot was aired as the show's finale, why, I don't know. The show didn't become popular until the DVD release. It was DVD sales and the subsequent popularity that lead to Joss Whedon convincing Universal Pictures that a movie based on the series would be profitable.

SGU was the polar opposite. Syfy was behind the show, lots of promotion, big budget, and then no audience. That right there is why the franchise is effectively dead right now. If anything, I think MGM and Syfy lost faith in the producers to put out a profitable show. If someone with a good profitable track record wants to do SG, we'll probably see it back on TV. However, don't expect MGM to be looking to resurrect the show without some producer pestering them first.

Comment

Let's review...

Original Movie: The sequels didn't happen, because Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner made SG-1 before Ronald Emmerich and Dean Devlin got around to Stargate 2.
                          No, the "sequels" never happened because there were never any sequels intended. It's the only one of their movies ever to end with "The End." Furthermore, they sold the rights to the IP. Sequels to the original movie were never going to happen.

SG-1: It had a ten year run, anyone who'd complain about the cancellation is either crazy or ungrateful.
                          Or just paying attention to what was going on. For the first time in four years on Sci Fi, they were able to do a story that was going to span more than one season and end it on a cliffhanger with the intent of starting up the next year (Season 9 - 10). During Season 10, the network had already given them permission to re-sign the entire crew, leading most people to believe that another season was in the cards. Then they decided to call and let the staff know they weren't coming back during their 200th episode party. There's very good reason to be irritated with Sci Fi for cancelling SG-1, even though the issues of mounting costs are perfectly valid as well.

Atlantis: Cancelled in favor of moving forward with SGU.
                          Half-true. Yes they wanted to go do SGU, but they also did not want to do SGA anymore.

If SGU wasn't proposed, MGM and SciFi probably would have given the show at least one more season.
                          Total speculation.

SGU was a disappointment
                          Opinion, not fact.

No fourth series, because MGM and Syfy decided the saga was no longer profitable.
                          Nonsense. No fourth series happened because MGM was bankrupt and had no money to finance anything new, and the people who had been running the franchise for 17 seasons were burnt out.

This isn't complicated, folks.
                          It really isn't complicated, but you seem to be repeatedly pointing at false reasoning to justify.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Total speculation.
                            Actually no. They did plan a Season 6.

Comment

But that was the writers not SyFy or MGM
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X