Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've just rediscovered this show after many, many years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just rediscovered this show after many, many years.

I just discovered Farscape on DVD and am loving it.

The show still holds up pretty damn well. Just a shame it's not 16x9 but formatted for old fashioned TV screens.

But something I have always wondered.

Before John's launch they said there was some kind of meteorological anomaly in the atmosphere which we later find was a wormhole........

How did this wormhole get to Earth?

I know the writers never say it but I have always wondered if that was on purpose and John was targeted during his test flight to get to where he was with Moya and company?

Also what kind of idea is it to speed into the atmopshere and bounce off? Isn't that a bit daft to do to build up speed, or was that to create some kind of slingshot effect? I mean how much speed gain could you possibly get doing that trick?

Also the end of season episode I think season 1 or 2 but not sure when John and D'argo are floating in space. Exactly how long are they floating IN SPACE and still conscious? Or even alive?

I take it for this scene alone Farscape is more fantasy then scifi.. But still love it....
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Yeah, actually maybe I'll rewatch it next year as well... or soon.. have fun with it !
    sigpic

Comment

They hint that solar flares are the reason a wormhole was created. The speed John's craft and the combination of the solar flares of our sun created the solar flares.

The slingshoot effect has been done in science fiction for decades. It is well documented it will speed up your space vessel.

Not too long as D'Argo will pass out after 15 minutes and start to suffocate
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        They hint that solar flares are the reason a wormhole was created. The speed John's craft and the combination of the solar flares of our sun created the solar flares.

The slingshoot effect has been done in science fiction for decades. It is well documented it will speed up your space vessel.

Not too long as D'Argo will pass out after 15 minutes and start to suffocate

I can accept that for D'argo but John's a human. His body should have been severely damaged.

Comment

He was in a spacesuit. Those things have a few hours of oxygen
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

He was in a spacesuit. Those things have a few hours of oxygen

I thought he wasn't my bad

Comment

I enjoyed watching it last year. Have fun!
              sigpic

Comment

This show is one of few that truly can stand up to the test of time.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  This show is one of few that truly can stand up to the test of time.
                  And it does that very well.

I love the subtle yet very dark humour in many episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                    And it does that very well.

I love the subtle yet very dark humour in many episodes.
                    Yeah, this show had a very unique style all its own.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Farscape is now about a decade old and holds up quite well. (And don’t forget that the entire Season 4 and "The Peacekeeper Wars" are presented in 16:9.)

Sadly, the next generation of viewers probably won’t "get" all of John's pop culture references. So it will soon start to feel dated to the early 20's crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Vfpcoder View Post
                        Farscape is now about a decade old and holds up quite well. (And don’t forget that the entire Season 4 and "The Peacekeeper Wars" are presented in 16:9.)

Sadly, the next generation of viewers probably won’t "get" all of John's pop culture references. So it will soon start to feel dated to the early 20's crowd.

I know. A lot of that stuff will just be "huh what" to younger generations, sadly

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                          I just discovered Farscape on DVD and am loving it.

The show still holds up pretty damn well. Just a shame it's not 16x9 but formatted for old fashioned TV screens.

But something I have always wondered.

Before John's launch they said there was some kind of meteorological anomaly in the atmosphere which we later find was a wormhole........

How did this wormhole get to Earth?

I know the writers never say it but I have always wondered if that was on purpose and John was targeted during his test flight to get to where he was with Moya and company?

Also what kind of idea is it to speed into the atmopshere and bounce off? Isn't that a bit daft to do to build up speed, or was that to create some kind of slingshot effect? I mean how much speed gain could you possibly get doing that trick?

Also the end of season episode I think season 1 or 2 but not sure when John and D'argo are floating in space. Exactly how long are they floating IN SPACE and still conscious? Or even alive?

I take it for this scene alone Farscape is more fantasy then scifi.. But still love it....
                          As to John and Dargo floating in space - I see you got a couple of answers and they were correct about Dargo's time in space without a pace suit and that John, did, indeed have on a space suit in the scene where they were floating in space together on a season cliff hanger; however:

You may have mixed two scenes together. There is another scene in which John survives being in space with no spacesuit and no contrived alien device to protect him. It is during the episodes surrounding his forced marriage to the princess and he is hidden away on a ship containing the wedding presents. He escapes and floats across to another small ship. On the episode commentary, the director/writer or whoever gives a supposedly REAL scientific reason why this is possible and why most of us mistakenly believe our bodies would turn inside out and that it is possible to survive for a few minutes in space - but I didn't understand the reasoning or the science behind what he was saying so I put it out of my mind. So much of Farscape didn't make sense to me but I enjoyed it anyway which is a testament to how fun the show is because usually, I don't like sci-fi if they can't make me believe and accept the science of the world they've created. The science doesn't have to be real, just give me the premise and be consistent with it, which Farscape is not. Yet, it still captivates.
                          sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

And not just in fiction either, all space probes that have been sent beyond low Earth orbit have utilized this effect.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X