X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye Stranger (817)

Episode synopsis :

Originally posted by Buddy TV
    From the CW: "Castiel reappears in Sam and Dean‘s life and tells them Crowley has unleashed several demons into a small town. The demons are looking for Lucifer‘s Crypt, which holds a valuable asset, but Castiel lies to Sam and Dean about what it is. While interrogating a demon, the three discover Crowley has been torturing Meg, who knows the exact location of the crypt. Sam and Meg fight to hold Crowley off while Dean and Castiel go in search of the crypt."

Original Air Date : 03/20/2013
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 March 2013, 05:27 AM.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

This was a good episode, and this season is delivering. I want more of Naomi!

On another note though, what would Crowley know about Mesopotamia?

He was born in Scotland (1661?)

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
      This was a good episode, and this season is delivering. I want more of Naomi!

On another note though, what would Crowley know about Mesopotamia?

He was born in Scotland (1661?)
      I think Crowley is not what he seems....
      Might he actually be some old Mesopotamian god or something who has been pretending to be a demon. (Gabriel pretended to be Loki, so it wouldn't be out of the blue for this show or anything.)

Also, I'm thinking that map room was not just a reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark, but also a reference to Close Encounters where Richard Dreyfus felt compelled to dig up his yard and build a giant Devil's Tower in his house and then was compelled to actually go to Wyoming. Perhaps Cas was compelled by the tablet to take him and it to
      Spoiler:
      Metatron
      . Dean did reference Lord of the Rings as well, which of course had that sort of component.

Comment

Fun episode! Featuring one of my favouritest things ever... the secret Men of Letters base, yay!

Some initial thoughts:

* I really wish Amanda Tapping would drop the occasional pseudo-British accent she seems to have adopted. It worked in Sanctuary but it just sounds wrong in Supernatural. Overall, the whole Naomi character just seems really forced to me, I don't like her at all (not just because she appears to be evil; both Crowley and Meg are evil, and I like them).

* I, too, wondered about Crowley's connection to Mesopotamia, given that he was born in Scotland and is a scant few hundred years old. I don't think he's pulling a Gabriel, though -- I think he really is just a clever crossroads demon-turned king of hell. This would be most inkeeping with everything we know of him so far. I think the writer(s) just dropped the ball on Mesopotamia, as we also know that angels haven't walked the Earth for 2000 years (as stated by Anna and Cas who were previously garrisoned there to 'watch', but not take vessels). So either Naomi is not an angel at all, she's an angel so powerful that she can disobey the rules of the arch-angels (Metatron in disguise? Technically possible, but highly doubtful, I don't think Metatron was as big a douche as Naomi appears to be) or we're soon going to see the biggest retcon (pertaining to Crowley) since we learnt that yeah, actually, that Trickster guy is actually the arch-angel Gabriel).

* Meg. WAT??? Nooooo. They just killed off my second favourite demon. I was really rooting for her and Cas. And I was rooting for a female -- any female -- surviving longer than five episodes. What I have taken away from this show is that WOMEN ARE ALL DOOMED. Initially is used to be just women who were close to Sam. Then women who were close to Sam or Dean. Now it's pretty much any woman at all. I did enjoy her parting words to Sam though, about saving 'her little unicorn'. Basically she's just admitting that she fell in love with an angel, which is weird as other than Casey we haven't really seen many (or any??) instances of demons being in love or caring about others (although Azazel did appear to care about Meg and 'Tom')

* Good to see Cas having broken away from Naomi at last, and good to see that he chose Dean over angels (go, Team Free Will!). Though I am a little confused about his bus-riding antics. AFAIK seraphs can go anywhere, instantly, including other worlds if they choose. But instead of teleporting himself to a secluded fortress in the Gobi desert protected by five hundred Shaolin monks, it's the tales of Castiel, Bus Rider Extraordinaire!

* I foresee more Kevin very soon. Maybe another trial, and hopefully more Garth. I do hope, though, that the gates of hell are never permanently closed. Can you imagine how boring the show would become?

* Lucifer has the tablet and puts it in an angel-warded box? I have to wonder why. And why is Naomi so hell-bent on killing Dean? She couldn't have known it would come down to the treasure room all along, so has she been planning to kill Dean for some time? I hope we get some answers about who she is and why she's pulling the crap she pulls soon. Best case scenario I can see for this is the trials failing, the gates of hell remaining open, but Cas finding a way to bring Metatron back into the game before Naomi seriously screws things up. Alright, I admit it, I just really want to see Metatron. He better be as cool as Alan Rickman's incarnation.
        Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

I´m not entirely sure that Cas really gained free will, it seemed more likely that the tablet had an inbuilt defence that caused any angel who touched it to go into protection mode. This command did override what ever Naomi had done but he's still dancing to anothers tune (most likely god, though Metatron is a possibility).

I think that Naomi was simply stress testing Castiel by using the task she thought he would have the hardest time doing. Plus given the Winchesters record for screwing everyone elses plans up it would make sense to be prepared.

Comment

i liked the ep!

i can't really tell if naomi is evil. she's doing bad stuff, but that doesn't make her evil. we really don't know what's going on...

i cheated and read some ppl's opinions on this ep on twitter. BIG mistake! all i kept reading was OMG this and OMG that, that i thought this would be the most incredible ep of all time that i'd die of ep orgasm or something. twitter is really being overrun with super fangirls/boys.

some very nice scenes in the ep, and i can't wait for more (but also dread what's going to happen to naomi).
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
              I´m not entirely sure that Cas really gained free will, it seemed more likely that the tablet had an inbuilt defence that caused any angel who touched it to go into protection mode. This command did override what ever Naomi had done but he's still dancing to anothers tune (most likely god, though Metatron is a possibility).
              I definitely agree with that. The tablet appears to have either given him a new command, or downloaded new knowledge into his head. Either way he seems to have either been reprogrammed to obey someone else (I suspect Metatron more than God) or with his newfound knowledge he's realised that the tablet is too dangerous to be used by anybody in a position of power.

I think that Naomi was simply stress testing Castiel by using the task she thought he would have the hardest time doing. Plus given the Winchesters record for screwing everyone elses plans up it would make sense to be prepared.
              I dunno, doesn't really fly with me. She was all like "KILL DEAN NOW THAT HE'S TAKEN THE TABLET FROM THAT ANGEL-WARDED BOX!" But, y'know, Cas has superman strength and speed and can melt walls with his hands. He could just take the tablet from Dean without actually hurting him. What's Dean going to do, complain loudly? He doesn't have a weapon that can hurt an angel. He posed no threat, other than simply having the knowledge that an angel tablet exists -- knowledge which is already known by Sam, Meg, and probably about half of the US.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

i cheated and read some ppl's opinions on this ep on twitter. BIG mistake! all i kept reading was OMG this and OMG that, that i thought this would be the most incredible ep of all time that i'd die of ep orgasm or something. twitter is really being overrun with super fangirls/boys.
              Epgasm. I like it. Though I think there have only been a couple of episodes truly worthy of that description, and this definitely wasn't one of them.
              Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Like I said in the previous post the Winchesters have an amazing track record at screwing everyone else's plans up. Naomi probably didn't want Dean coming after the angels (which he totally would if Cas had simply taken the tablet) so she ordered Cas to kill Dean. If Dean had simply given Cas the tablet, no questions asked, then she probably wouldn't have done it.

Comment

I'm a bit confused about how Dean would go after angels, though. They're sort of... mostly in Heaven. Where only other angels and souls of dead people can go. Besides, I'm pretty sure Dean's got enough on his plate at the moment, with the demon stuff and the trials and trying to keep Kevin safe and Sam alive.

Comment

We've seen that the Winchesters always seem to find a way. Naomi herself might not know how Dean could threaten them but why take the chance? After all, these are the guys who are responsible for the demise of nearly all the arch angels (even if they didn't kill them themselves).

Comment

But the archangels weren't in heaven at the time, and even Castiel in season 6 finds Sam's claim that he'll hunt him down to be laughable. The boys might have been responsible (partially) for the events that led to arch-angels being killed, but they didn't actually kill a single one -- or even hurt a single one. Lucifer killed Gabriel, Castiel killed Raphael, and both Lucifer and Michael are still alive. In fact, I can't even remember either of the Winchesters killing one single angel at all -- even fallen-from-grace-and-injured-after-teleporting-to-the-past Anna kicked their asses, and would have killed them had they not used a banishing sigil to send her away.

Comment

Didn't Dean stab one angel with a anti-angel knive? Seem to recall that.

And like I said, just because the Winchesters aren't the one doing the killings they are still responsible for most of the things that went wrong for those arch-angels. They always seem to find a way to mess things up. Killing them is therefore more about Naomi protecting herself from the unknown than from any known threat that they pose. As Crowley has stated before the biggest mistake that the big players have made is underestimating the Winchesters.

Comment

Yeah, maybe

I don't remember Dean stabbing an angel, though it could have slipped my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by The Urban Spaceman View Post
                            Yeah, maybe

I don't remember Dean stabbing an angel, though it could have slipped my mind.
                            He stabbed Zachariah in the face and killed him.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                              i forgot to mention that when i watched the scene, and naomi came into the room to see how cas did in killing dean... i had some serious dejavu of fifth testing replicarter in season 8's 'gemini' of sg1!

and when naomi looks and down and sees dean dead, she's all sweetly smiling and such. what a sweetie!

Originally posted by The Urban Spaceman View Post

Epgasm. I like it. Though I think there have only been a couple of episodes truly worthy of that description, and this definitely wasn't one of them.
                              i like your name for it better.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X