X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trial and Error (814)

Episode synopsis :

Originally posted by Buddy TV
    From the CW: "Kevin deciphers the tablet and figures out how to close the gates of Hell. He tells Sam and Dean that according to the tablet one person must face a series of three tests designed by God. The first one - kill a hellhound. Sam and Dean argue over who should complete the trials."
    Original Air Date : 02/13/2013
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 29 January 2013, 02:32 PM.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

It's been a long time since SPN got me teary-eyed. This episode managed to do this. Twice. And there was so much other great stuff. Dean in glasses. Sammy in glasses. Crossroad-demons. Dean decorating HIS room (with a mattress that remembers him).

I really liked SPN all the time, but at the moment it's awesome. I think we have a quality in episodes at the moment we hadn't for a long time, and the episode we got were already good. I can't wait how this story will go on and I'm super-glad that season 9 is already secure!!
    The cake is a lie!

Comment

I agree with you, iolanda! I've been enjoying the whole season, but the last four episodes in particular I've really liked.

I'll admit that I'm slightly bummed Dean won't be doing the trials because having Sam do them is sort of like Sam having to take Lucifer, but I'm guessing this will involve a lot more teamwork between Sam and Dean along the way than that did. (I hope!) I really liked the talks they had and Dean decorating his room (He's super duper neat! That makes sense since the car is always so shiny, but wow! that's the tightest made bed I've ever seen!) and Sam's look when he saw Dean had put that picture of him and their mom on his desk. I'm hoping that Sam is going to be helping Dean along mentally this time since it seems like Dean is usually the one doing the psychological support stuff. Something more than "I don't care how you get through your days as long as you don't die" that we got last season.

It also seems like they're spreading little clues around for us to figure out and there's nothing I like more (well, OK there are a few things I like more) than puzzles/mysteries to solve. The library is in Lebanon, Kansas, the exact center of the continental US. That just can't be a coincidence! The MOL symbol appears to be the same as one of the symbols on Mary's charm bracelet (from when Dean went back to the 70s), they did a lot of close ups on the Nazi guy's ring last episode (sort of a weird cross with wing-like shadows behind it). The fairy symbol from LARP and the Real Girl sure looked a lot like the World Tree. There's a nice big telescope in their new digs. Apparently, we were supposed to notice all the hourglass patterns in the episode with their grandpa (maybe just because of the time travel stuff in that one, or maybe it has to do with the bigger picture?), Sam watching a documentary on dung beetles (a symbol of death and rebirth) earlier in the season, and all the recasting of actors from earlier seasons. Now on that last one, I know it's a Vancouver show and those always reuse actors if they make it more than a couple of seasons, but it seems like this season it's happening in pretty much every episode. Maybe a coincidence, or maybe not. Also, all the puzzles about perception and memory and stuff are intriguing. (I'm gonna be sad if it turns out none of that stuff is important )

The one thing that makes me uneasy about this episode is Dean giving Kevin the "pep pills". Not that I don't think Dean would do something like that considering his own substance abuse issues, but I think that can only lead to something bad for Kevin and I'd hate to have that guilt piled on top of all of Dean's other guilt.

Closing question: Did they kill Crowley's personal pet hellhound? If so, he's gonna be extra mad!!

Comment

Yes, yes YES! Totally agree with iolanda and Callista.

Gotta say, I never thought Dean would be the one who'd like his own "room". He always struck me as the "let's roll" type of brother. Gotta say I like what he's done with the place!

Liked both brothers in glasses. Gotta get a pic of that saved.

IHS
        sigpic

Comment

Hey, I've got another theory because the beginning of Everybody Hates Hitler reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Remember in Raiders how the bad guy only got half the information from the amulet burned onto his hand so they were digging in the wrong place? Remember how at the beginning of this season when Cas and Crowley were fighting they each ended up with half the tablet? Well, what if Kevin is not able to completely read the information on the trials because of the missing half of the tablet and so they are "digging in the wrong place" as it were? Perhaps the chant is wrong or incomplete so it's actually going to damage Sam instead of making it so he can close the gates? Maybe they're accidentally opening the gates wider by doing the trials and chant wrong? Hmmmm......

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
            Hey, I've got another theory because the beginning of Everybody Hates Hitler reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Remember in Raiders how the bad guy only got half the information from the amulet burned onto his hand so they were digging in the wrong place? Remember how at the beginning of this season when Cas and Crowley were fighting they each ended up with half the tablet? Well, what if Kevin is not able to completely read the information on the trials because of the missing half of the tablet and so they are "digging in the wrong place" as it were? Perhaps the chant is wrong or incomplete so it's actually going to damage Sam instead of making it so he can close the gates? Maybe they're accidentally opening the gates wider by doing the trials and chant wrong? Hmmmm......
            Kevin's only found the first trial so far. I think what will happen is Crowley has the third and last trial, which will mark the last couple of episodes in the season. But what about the Angel tablet?

Comment

This episode was great from start to finish. I really like where things are heading right now. Eight seasons in, and this show is still going strong IMO.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Hold on a second here! Did Dean Winchester just call the people who made a deal....losers????

Losers??????

"Hey Dean, uh remember when Jake killed Sam in season 2? I'm pretty sure you made a deal with a demon to get Sam back. *nods head*

So does that make Dean a loser too?

Yah my jaw dropped when he said that. Wow!
                Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

If anyone thinks Dean is a loser, it's Dean. Nobody thinks worse of him than himself. :-(
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X