Ark Of Truth: Review of Anoobis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ark Of Truth: Review of Anoobis

The first of the two feature-length standalone movies of the SG-1 team was really great overall, to be honest. Yes, the final fight might have been a tad too cheap (it was like Pah'wraiths vs. Prophets or Kira vs. Jake), even the exact same colors lol), but we have seen some good action, the end of the Ori story arc and also some sweet replicator ship interior battle. That way the people who never watched any SG-1 episodes before basically see all bad guys except the Gould which are cared for a lot deeper in the other SG-1 movie Continuum. Too bad we didn't see Hammy and Jack in this movie, but at least they appeared in Continuum.

I for one was so glad to see that first Prior's butt getting kicked badly. He survived almost two years since the beginning of the ninth season, and he was annoying ever since, and he became way too personal for a Prior, specially when the commander started to question his interpretation of the book of EA's spyware ... yeah Origin was the name. It's kinda lovely that the Doci doesn't get killed in the end, but gets a chance to actually become normal again, like some other of the Priors. What I also liked in the DVD edition was the chance to see a ten minute prelude to sum up all of the Ori story arc from the seasons nine and ten.

Something of the best however is the soundtrack. Absolutely outstanding work of Joel Goldsmith, may he have ascended with pride. That Ori choir masterpiece right in the beginning, along with pompous timpani and strings ... marvelous! That's even better than the original Stargate soundtrack with the Gould "bad guy" intro music. It could have been a bit longer though, only 30 somewhat seconds was a tad short. A minute or 90 seconds would have been perfect.

Overall I can give this movie a 4 out of 5 stars. Well deserved, and only topped by a few SG-1 episodes like Window of Opportunity which got 5 of 5 by me.

~ Anoobis

I think it sucked badly.

First off:

perhaps the thing i was most excited about was seeing the new APBW's in action. Not a single shot was fired.

The demise of the asgard was a big thing, but it was sort-of shoved down our throats in Unending and it seemed to have happened a million years ago in Unending.

It took an entirely new plot device (well technically it's a macguffin) to be the plot, something we never heard of before, not even a slight hint. It takes some ascended intervention in the first place, and that's about the only reason any part of this movie works. It also conveniently solves the whole Ori arc in a non-bloody way, and only robs everyone of their free will which is precisely why the ancients never used it. They also didn't think of bringing it with them (or all their research) because, you know, the Ori won't find them (which they were right about, but was a ******* big risk).

The replicators are suddenly introduced, since the asgard can now make replicators for some reason. Worst of all: they grab an ARG. if ANYTHING in the 10 years of SG1 was most evident, it's that the ONLY RELIABLE WAY TO KILL A REPLICATOR IS WITH BULLETS.
    It's not even the first time they pull off this trick. And Carter, who undoubtedly has seen the most "oops replicators adapted" moments of all SG1 members present, doesn't ensure there's at least 3 other people with regular guns just in frikking case.

If it wasn't for this horrible plot-supermassive-black-hole, it's also that Cameron's only purpose is to get flung around like a ragdoll. Furthermore, this marks the first time that the IOA actually had a good idea, and all SG1 does is ruin it. If the Replis had been programmed to destroy ori tech only, and would never go through the supergate, they'd be the perfect weapon. I actually half-expected the IOA to have made up the Ark just to get the weapon over and have a legit story.

Also, with the various encounters of the Asurans, we'd have actual knowledge of replicator basecode that they themselves can't alter, so asking the computer to use that type of programming scheme in stead of "allow them to alter anything", it would be a pretty darn safe system.

The movie was pretty much a big letdown.

only topped by a few SG-1 episodes like Window of Opportunity which got 5 of 5 by me
    WoO is of a whole different(read: much higher) level of quality.

Comment

I almost stopped watching when they drudged the replicators out of the depths of "okay enough with these stupid things, they already ruined (IMO) a dozen episodes can we finally kill them" land!!

Comment

Originally posted by Insolent Slave View Post
        I almost stopped watching when they drudged the replicators out of the depths of "okay enough with these stupid things, they already ruined (IMO) a dozen episodes can we finally kill them" land!!
        Actually, i felt this was the one time they could've been used to great effect. I also liked that it was the MWR and not the asurans...

But yea, the part where the ARG was used was nearly the point where i turned it off

Comment

Well, I still liked the movie, of course there are always things to find which don't make too much sense or are over-used, but hey ... the Ori just had to appear, the story arc was unfinished from Season 10 and just the Ori and no other bad guys, that would have been a bit too cheap.

Comment

Working...
          X