• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about armour support?
    An Axe age, A Sword age, Shields are sundered,
    A Wind age, A Wolf age, Ere the World falls,
    And no Man shall spare Another.

Driving fast has never killed anyone. Suddenly coming to a halt, that has killed many, many people

The Pope, an Irishman and an Italian are walking down a street, when one of them says "Hey look guys! A bar!"

Comment

Armour is an interesting one. While, IIRC, you could fit something along the lines of an M113 APC through the stargate, the design of the gate wouldn't allow it through, unless you had some sort of anti-gravity platform, which means any armour would need to be beamed down from orbit.

I think that either the MRAAS weapons system developed as part of the FCS ground vehicles subsystem (IIRC) would be ideal. The 105mm cannon was capable of both engaging tanks within normal engagement ranges and acting as artillery out to 50km. The Stargate program would have developed the technology needed to make ETC propulsion viable, which means that the program might not have be cancelled. That would give you a vehicle with a lightweight base thatould be upgraded with heavier armour, and a gun roughly as powerful as a 120mm tank gun (at least in terms of APFSDS).

Alternatively, if you want to stick to completely real world vehicles, the CV90 series is an excellent choice, providing everything from an APC to an ambulance to a mortar carrier to a light tank.

Comment

Originally posted by james123182 View Post
        What about armour support?

Put naquadria generators, shields and the Ag tech in Challenger or Abrams chassis (removing the tracks and suspension and beefing up the floor armor) and replace the 120 mm with a 105/120 mass driver throwing mach 10+ rounds now thats what I call a Panzer (using the standard SF term)

The squaddies ride in strikers given the same treatment - got to be cool when your MICVA is SSTO capable
        ----------------------------
        You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

a Striker would fit i think as would the Jackle and Coyote or even and old school pinkie landrover
          You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by james123182 View Post
            Neither did I...

Anyway, I don't personally know much about guns. What would you guys recommend as other potential weapons for Earth teams, or for selling to allies?
            Given how tough the wraith and Gould/Jaffa are maybe they would have gone back to battle rifles for the main weapon for infantry or possibly gone up the .50 as opposed to trading power for weight as we have done with the move to M4's

Comment

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
              Put naquadria generators, shields and the Ag tech in Challenger or Abrams chassis (removing the tracks and suspension and beefing up the floor armor) and replace the 120 mm with a 105/120 mass driver throwing mach 10+ rounds now thats what I call a Panzer (using the standard SF term)

The squaddies ride in strikers given the same treatment - got to be cool when your MICVA is SSTO capable
              I don't know that a full on MBT could make it through a Stargate - they're pretty wide - but a light tank could get through the way you've suggested. It's actually an idea I never considered.

Still, I think an ETC gun is the way to go, especially since it means you need smaller capacitor banks and less power, meaning better shields and propulsion.

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
              Given how tough the wraith and Gould/Jaffa are maybe they would have gone back to battle rifles for the main weapon for infantry or possibly gone up the .50 as opposed to trading power for weight as we have done with the move to M4's
              I don't think they'd have gone back to 7.62 NATO on earth, but it's worth considering for the SGC. I still prefer an intermediate, being lighter, taking up less space and not being as scary for the civilians to use, but you do have a point in that a larger calibre round would be better at range.

Comment

Working...
              X