200 Years of Brothers Grimm fairy tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200 Years of Brothers Grimm fairy tales

As most of us will know, this year there is the 200th anniversary since the the Brothers Grimm first published their first edition of fairy tales, and I thought we could have a thread related more to the original Brothers Grimm than to the actual Grimm TV show.

So if you have anything interesting related to the original fairy tales or related to the Grimm Brothers themselves, please post it here.
    Grimm returns October 24
    sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
    Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

I would like to start with two little stories about the same topic which were included in the first edition but not in the subsequent ones. I suppose because they were too cruel. See by yourselves:

Wie Kinder Schlachtens miteinander gespielt haben
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wie Kinder Schlachtens miteinander gespielt haben (How children played slaughtering together) is a set of two short and rather gruesome anecdotes from Grimm's Fairy Tales. It was removed from the book in the second edition, and is missing from most modern editions as well.

Part One
    In a specific town in the eastern Netherlands, a group of young children (around 5 or 6 years of age) once played at being a butcher, a cook, a cook's assistant, etc., and killed the child who played as "the pig". The child who played as "the butcher" was arrested and charged for murder, but the town council (which also functioned as a court), never having had such a case before it, was unsure whether to punish such a young child. An old, wise councilor finally came up with a special method to decide if the child was guilty or not. He brought a ripe, appetizing apple and a high-value gold coin, took one in each hand and let the child chose one of them. If "the butcher" chose the apple (presumably proving that the child still had a completely naive mind), then he was innocent, and would be free to go; if he chose the gold coin (presumably proving that a more abstract understanding of values had already developed in the child), the child was guilty, and would be hanged for murder. "The butcher" chose the apple without any hesitation. Therefore, he was released and all charges were dropped.

Part Two
    One day, two brothers saw their father killing off a pig. They imitated what they saw and the older brother killed his younger brother. Their mother, who was giving the baby a bath, heard her child scream and abandoned the baby in the bath. When she saw what her eldest child had done, she took the knife out of her younger son's throat, and in her rage stabbed her older son in the heart. When the mother found out that meanwhile the baby had drowned in the tub, she felt an inconsolable desperation and committed suicide by hanging herself. After a long day of work in the field, the father came home. Finding out that his whole family was dead, he soon also died from sadness.
    link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wie_Kin...gespielt_haben

Grimm returns October 24
    sigpic

Comment

Creepy!

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
      Sig & Avi by Josi
      sigpic
      LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
      I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Hello fellow Grimmsters.

Just heard on my favourite radio station, that there will be a special Reality Check about the brothers Grimm today at 12-13 midday CET.

So for everyone who wants to tune in ( or has time, I know it´s at a very short notice ) here is the link: http://fm4.orf.at/ (Live radio button at the top of the site. Programm in English and German)

EDIT: For everyone who missed it here´s the podcast episode of the show:
        http://static.orf.at/podcast/fm4/fm4...ck_podcast.xml

Also a nice articel about the brother Grimm and movie fairy tales (in German): http://fm4.orf.at/stories/1709653/
        Last edited by Gatecat; 22 December 2012, 03:17 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

and here a little quiz about the Brothers Grimm and some of their tales

http://www.mentalfloss.com/quiz/quiz.php?q=1117

I had 7 out of 10 replies
          Grimm returns October 24
          sigpic

Comment

another set of questions, these were more difficult for me

http://www.funtrivia.com/quizzes/for...-_k/grimm.html
            Grimm returns October 24
            sigpic

Comment

http://www.worldoftales.com/fairy_ta...n_Of_Life.html

The Duration Of Life
              Fairy tale by The Brothers Grimm

Spoiler:
              When God had created the world and was about to fix the length of each creature's life, the ass came and asked, "Lord, how long shall I live?" "Thirty years," replied God; "does that content thee?" "Ah, Lord," answered the ass, "that is a long time. Think of my painful existence! To carry heavy burdens from morning to night, to drag sacks of corn to the mill, that others may eat bread, to be cheered and refreshed with nothing but blows and kicks. Relieve me of a portion of this long time." Then God had pity on him and relieved him of eighteen years. The ass went away comforted, and the dog appeared. "How long wouldst thou like to live?" said God to him. "Thirty years are too many for the ass, but thou wilt be satisfied with that." "Lord," answered the dog, "is that thy will? Consider how I shall have to run, my feet will never hold out so long, and when I have once lost my voice for barking, and my teeth for biting, what will be left for me to do but run from one corner to another and growl?" God saw that he was right, and released him from twelve years of life. Then came the monkey. "Thou wilt certainly live thirty years willingly?" said the Lord to him. "Thou hast no need to work as the ass and the dog have to do, and wilt always enjoy thyself." "Ah! Lord," he answered, "it may seem as if that were the case, but it is quite different. When it rains porridge I have no spoon. I am always to play merry pranks, and make faces which force people to laugh, and if they give me an apple, and I bite into it, why it is sour! How often sadness hides itself behind mirth! I shall never be able to hold out for thirty years." God was gracious and took off ten.

At last man appeared, joyous, healthy and vigorous, and begged God to appoint his time for him. "Thirty years shalt thou live," said the Lord. "Is that enough for thee?" "What a short time," cried man, "when I have built my house and my fire burns on my own hearth; when I have planted trees which blossom and bear fruit, and am just intending to enjoy my life, I am to die! O Lord, lengthen my time." "I will add to it the ass's eighteen years," said God. "That is not enough," replied the man. "Thou shalt also have the dog's twelve years." "Still too little!" "Well, then," said God, "I will give thee the monkey's ten years also, but more thou shalt not have." The man went away, but was not satisfied.

So man lives seventy years. The first thirty are his human years, which are soon gone; then is he healthy, merry, works with pleasure, and is glad of his life. Then follow the ass's eighteen years, when one burden after another is laid on him, he has to carry the corn which feeds others, and blows and kicks are the reward of his faithful services. Then come the dog's twelve years, when he lies in the corner, and growls and has no longer any teeth to bite with, and when this time is over the monkey's ten years form the end. Then man is weak- headed and foolish, does silly things, and becomes the jest of the children.

From Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, Household Tales, trans. Margaret Hunt (London: George Bell, 1884)
              Grimm returns October 24
              sigpic

Comment

http://www.grimmstories.com/en/grimm...en_in_the_wood

The three little men in the wood Fairytale
                A fairytale by the Brothers Grimm

these fairy tales can be so cruel - and they were meant for children?

wow!
                Grimm returns October 24
                sigpic

Comment

http://www.grimmstories.com/

this is an interesting website with tales of the brothers Grimm

and you can chose to read them in 10 different languages
                  Grimm returns October 24
                  sigpic

Comment

The golden key Fairytale
                    A fairytale by the Brothers Grimm

In the winter time, when deep snow lay on the ground, a poor boy was forced to go out on a sledge to fetch wood. When he had gathered it together, and packed it, he wished, as he was so frozen with cold, not to go home at once, but to light a fire and warm himself a little. So he scraped away the snow, and as he was thus clearing the ground, he found a tiny, gold key. Hereupon he thought that where the key was, the lock must be also, and dug in the ground and found an iron chest. If the key does but fit it! thought he, no doubt there are precious things in that little box. He searched, but no keyhole was there. At last he discovered one, but so small that it was hardly visible. He tried it, and the key fitted it exactly. Then he turned it once round, and now we must wait until he has quite unlocked it and opened the lid, and then we shall learn what wonderful things were lying in that box.
                    http://www.grimmstories.com/en/grimm...the_golden_key

I was reading another article about the German start of Grimm. I will not post that one too, because it is in German. However, they were already wondering about the key Nick received from Marie. And they were wondering if it was related to above mentioned tale. We can now be rather sure it isn't related to above tale, but have you read it? This is a terrible cliffhanger for a tale itended for children! Imagine also the poor parents having to deal with a child who at the end wants to know what exactly was in that iron chest
                    Grimm returns October 24
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mi_guard View Post
                      http://www.grimmstories.com/en/grimm...the_golden_key

I was reading another article about the German start of Grimm. I will not post that one too, because it is in German. However, they were already wondering about the key Nick received from Marie. And they were wondering if it was related to above mentioned tale. We can now be rather sure it isn't related to above tale, but have you read it? This is a terrible cliffhanger for a tale itended for children! Imagine also the poor parents having to deal with a child who at the end wants to know what exactly was in that iron chest
                      I knew that key-story from somewhere ... damned, now I know why the story Kelly told Nick sounded so familiar!
                      BTW, would you mind to tell/post/share this other report you mentioned?
                      Last edited by Hyndara71; 21 February 2013, 02:00 AM.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                      Sig & Avi by Josi
                      sigpic
                      LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                      I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
                        I knew that key-story from somewhere ... damned, now I know why the story Kelly told Nick sounded so familiar!
                        BTW, would you mind to tell/post/share this other report you mentioned?
                        I thought I wouldn't find it anymore

but here it is: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleto...-12082020.html

Fantasy-Serie „Grimm“ bei Vox Weck den Wolf in dir
                        Grimm returns October 24
                        sigpic

Comment

for the 200 years of the Brothers Grimm (sorry in German)

http://grimm-jubilaeum.com/1284_130Kinder/

Hyn, that would be for you
                          Grimm returns October 24
                          sigpic

Comment

I remember Grimms brothers Fairy Tales by Disney's movies, but I had never read all the stories. When I compared Disney's movies with real tales, I found a lot of differences. Grimms tales are darker and sad, and some authors believe that these stories were made to scare young people instead of entertaining them. However, I enjoy reading and recommend a lot this collection.

Comment

Working...
                            X