No announcement yet.

Radio Times - The Hunt for Doctor Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marco rumours have been going strong for about 4 years now... Allegedly was to be released with Web and Enemy...

If ever a b&w ep was to be colourised - Marco is the one thanks to the extensive colour photos...
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Comment

That Bastard!!!

Unfortunately I have no idea who the bastard is... But - according to Phil Morris, discoverer of The Web of Fear & The Enemy of the World, the missing copy of Web ep3 was in fact found! But then stolen!

At the convention noted above, he has recounted the story... When he found the reels in Nigeria, ep3 of Web was included in the discovery. Negotiations to retrieve the episodes however took around 6 months, and at some point word has gotten out... and ultimately episode 3 - the first to feature the Brigadier - has gone AWOL...

He believes it was deliberate, and that someone bribed their way to get hold of the film. Given its "place in Fandom", it couldn't have been a pure accident...

So, someone out there has the only missing episode of Web of Fear...

This brings up the often claimed theory that "film collectors" hold some of the Missing Episodes of Doctor Who. Typically this claim is dismissed outright, with counter-claims such as - What self-respecting film collector would trouble themselves with a 16mm print of a tv show? But clearly - they were wrong!!!

(Well, ok, that is a leap... Maybe whoever now holds the print is not in fact a "film collector"... But still... there's straws to be clutched at here, so I'm clutching!)

Again... If you know any old crackpot rellies or friends of friends etc who may have old film cans in their attic... knock down their doors (don't knock down their doors) and demand (ask nicely) to check them out! (Or, you know... offer them a nice cup of tea or something.)
      Last edited by cosmichobo; 27 September 2015, 10:51 PM.
      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
      and lots more!

Comment

Shotgun loaded. Fez on. Hello, I'm a Doctor Who fan. Basically... run.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I can't imagine having the mind-set of wanting to have that power... cos that's what it is...

Full story now on the Doctor Who News page... Some of my above details aren't 100%, so feel free to read the article...
          and lots more!

Comment

Been a while... mostly cos - there's not been any real serious news on the Missing Episode Hunt, but over the past few months there's been a number of rumours coming out of the woodwork... though nothing confirmed, nothing terribly definite... So, really just - reminding everyone that we are still missing episodes!
            and lots more!

Comment

I still hold out hope for Marco Polo, at least.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I think "unfortunately" the 2 near full story recoveries in 2013 have set a precedent that is unlikely to be matched again. There'd been nothing like that since Tombs in the early 90's... so to hold out hope for another complete story to be found is just...
                and lots more!

Comment

An odd development...

There is a paytv/streaming mob in the USA that has recently announced having picked up Classic WHO. They have also announced that they will be having a Doctor Who panel at COMICON, and will be showing "a recon" of an episode from The Wheel In Space.

Only 2 episodes of the 6 part adventure exist. There are telesnaps of the missing episodes, and as with all of the missing stories, audio tracks exist... But - the question is, would ANYONE seriously expect a modern mainstream audience to sit through a reconstruction of a B&W episode of Doctor Who??? Even fans (like myself) struggle with recons...

As such, some believe this is in fact a big cover story for a recovered episode... or perhaps a partial recovery, to be combined with telesnaps. Honestly though - if this were the case, there is no way the BBC would allow a US based service to make the announcement of the recovery...

We'll know for sure in a weeks.

Further - the question is being asked whether Britbox will be making their own recons, animes, or even refilm the missing episodes, allowing them to actually offer the ENTIRE classic era. To date, this area has only been occupied by the BBC (a handful of recons, plus a number of full episode animations), and fans (all missing eps have had recons made dating back to the 80's, particularly by a group called Loose Canon, plus more recently a number of fairly amateurish animations can be found all over YouTube). For a 3rd party commercial entity to weigh into this space would be very new indeed, and would of course require permission from the BBC.

(The recons were NOT ignored by the BBC - but there was an agreement in place that people who made recons (such as Loose Canon) not release them as any kind of commercial venture. In other words, they were never "for sale" - you typically either paid a few dollars for the cost of postage/a blank tape, or sent a blank tape for them to put a copy on. When DVD came along, the BBC forbade the transition into that platform. The internet certainly changed all of this, because the internet ignores a lot of boundaries... )
                  Last edited by cosmichobo; 08 July 2017, 09:14 PM.
                  and lots more!

Comment

Working...
                  X