Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From humble beginnings to such lofty heights..(A general observation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From humble beginnings to such lofty heights..(A general observation)

I was watching sg1 season 10, 'endgame' and I couldn't help but chuckle as the warehouse that 'the trust' took Daniel as a prisoner was the same warehouse as the one Valla was taken to as a prisoner in 'memento mori' season 1.
    And it is the same warehouse that sg1 used for so many shoots, It reminded me of something I heard on an audio commentary about the sand lot they used to film all the Abydos episodes and all the sand planet based episodes, was the same lot just out back of the studio.
    The lot was getting smaller and smaller with less sand to shoot around or the go to footage of the two guards outside cheyenne mountain, racing each other to the oppostie curb, or the BIG door closing during an emergency etc.and it all got me to thinking.
    If sgu reused the same backdrops as they had in previous shows they would have been slaughtered.
    maybe the key to sg1's success was that it didn't invest to much (as it couldn't) money into itself and it had that air of familiarity that made it so awesome.
    For the money it had at the time, sg1 had no right to become so popular but it did!!!
    Maybe that was it's secret to success, who knows.
    But it constantly amazes me that the franchise became what it did, and the shows continually evolved with the times
    I suppose the point of this post is just an all round Hat tip to the people behind stargate.
    They kept it fresh and familiar, With a satirical sense of humour that is unknown in todays t.v.
    That;s it really....erm, thank you stargate... and all the SGU guys
    Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

Many of the the 'sandy planets' scenes were filmed here Although it's not as big an area as it used to be. Places like this are disappearing under the march of residential and commercial development, a few places we see on screen are no longer there.

There are many favoured locations used by Stargate repeatedly, and other shows. The most famous is the 'Stargate forest' of course. The makers of Stargate made great use of the lovely landscape and made it into a celebrated trademark in a way. The familiarity with the locations and the inventive ways they were reused is part of the charm of Stargate.

The makers certainly made great use of talented individuals with the special effects. It was fascinating hearing Bruce Woloshyn who was the Digital Effects supervisor on SG-1 tell his stories. My favourite was one about how they had to write their own software to create the event horizon and activating effects on an old computer as there was nothing that was available at the time for what they wanted to achieve. That is why the early effects of the gate look so different to what came later. It's this very personal inventiveness and a big dose of Canadian self depreciating humour that makes Stargate different from other shows.

The attention to detail and the love of making the show by all involved came across in the whole show, making it a unique one for me. I tip my hat along with you to Stargate!

Comment

Originally posted by sgelite View Post
      I was watching sg1 season 10, 'endgame' and I couldn't help but chuckle as the warehouse that 'the trust' took Daniel as a prisoner was the same warehouse as the one Valla was taken to as a prisoner in 'memento mori' season 1.
      And it is the same warehouse that sg1 used for so many shoots, It reminded me of something I heard on an audio commentary about the sand lot they used to film all the Abydos episodes and all the sand planet based episodes, was the same lot just out back of the studio.
      The lot was getting smaller and smaller with less sand to shoot around or the go to footage of the two guards outside cheyenne mountain, racing each other to the oppostie curb, or the BIG door closing during an emergency etc.and it all got me to thinking.
      If sgu reused the same backdrops as they had in previous shows they would have been slaughtered.
      maybe the key to sg1's success was that it didn't invest to much (as it couldn't) money into itself and it had that air of familiarity that made it so awesome.
      For the money it had at the time, sg1 had no right to become so popular but it did!!!
      Maybe that was it's secret to success, who knows.
      But it constantly amazes me that the franchise became what it did, and the shows continually evolved with the times
      I suppose the point of this post is just an all round Hat tip to the people behind stargate.
      They kept it fresh and familiar, With a satirical sense of humour that is unknown in todays t.v.
      That;s it really....erm, thank you stargate... and all the SGU guys
      You show Vala twice in that last line. Does that mean you like her twice as much as any other character?

Comment

Working...
      X