Jacob Carter/Carmen Argenziano Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
    A warm and hearty 'Charmin' Carmen' welcome to you! Where's that report and the pics?
    Thank you very much! "Charmin' Carmen" ... I love it!

The report and pics are here. Just a little warning, my site is a Sam/Daniel one and there's a teeny tiny mention about Carmen/Jacob's opinions on these two characters together.

Oh, yeah, and I look pretty awful in the pic I had taken with him... lol

Comment

Here's a pic of me and Carmen from Shore Leave 28. He is such a sweet, funny, and genuine human being. And a paisan, might I add....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ter/carmen.jpg
      Very nice piccie! You both look great. I agree - he is very sweet and funny. It was great meeting him.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM
        Thank you very much! "Charmin' Carmen" ... I love it!

The report and pics are here. Just a little warning, my site is a Sam/Daniel one and there's a teeny tiny mention about Carmen/Jacob's opinions on these two characters together.

Oh, yeah, and I look pretty awful in the pic I had taken with him... lol
        Charmin' Carmen - its from a friend on another list, not my invention but yes, its VERY catchy and most appropriate for our illustrious thread. Sam/Daniel, Sam/Jack, Sam/Thor, Sam/Ba'al (have I left anyone out) it doesn't matter. All supporters of Carmen Argenziano welcome! And no, you don't look awful. Great report and pics, thanks for sharing!
        If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
        proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
        Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Here's a pic of me and Carmen from Shore Leave 28. He is such a sweet, funny, and genuine human being. And a paisan, might I add....
          http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ter/carmen.jpg
          Oh, he is such a sweetie! You lucky girl!

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
            Oh, he is such a sweetie! You lucky girl!
            Aww, thanks. I could have talked to him all day but didn't want to hog him all to myself.

<--is a goof

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

Aww, thanks. I could have talked to him all day but didn't want to hog him all to myself.

<--is a goof
              That's exactly how I felt, too. Smaller cons are fun because you get way more time to interact, but then you feel funny about monopolizing the actor's time, even if there aren't lots of (or any) other fans waiting.

(So says Seshat, who had been to exactly ONE big con and ONE little con and now sounds like a terrible know-it-all and talks about herself in the third person to boot. )

Comment

Charmin' Carmen - its from a friend on another list, not my invention but yes, its VERY catchy and most appropriate for our illustrious thread. Sam/Daniel, Sam/Jack, Sam/Thor, Sam/Ba'al (have I left anyone out) it doesn't matter. All supporters of Carmen Argenziano welcome! And no, you don't look awful. Great report and pics, thanks for sharing!
                Wherever its origin, I love it! You're welcome, and thanks, I'm glad you liked them!

Comment

Hi Guys,

I normally don't post here, even though I am a huge Jacob/CA fan myself. But I've got to agree with WFAR: Carmen is a wonderful, sweet, and very charming guy. It was such a pleasure meeting him at Shore Leave. He is very appreciative of his fans and you can feel it when you talk to him. What a great and funny guy.

Anyways, in case you are interested, I've uploaded some pictures of his appearance at Shore Leave here. Hope you enjoy.

WFAR - what a great pic. You are one lucky girl. By the time I got a chance to chat with Carmen, they were not allowing any pictures. But I am glad you were able to get one. Both of you look really great. Hope to see you sometime soon again, it was wonderful to finally meet you.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                    Hi Guys,

I normally don't post here, even though I am a huge Jacob/CA fan myself. But I've got to agree with WFAR: Carmen is a wonderful, sweet, and very charming guy. It was such a pleasure meeting him at Shore Leave. He is very appreciative of his fans and you can feel it when you talk to him. What a great and funny guy.

Anyways, in case you are interested, I've uploaded some pictures of his appearance at Shore Leave here. Hope you enjoy.

WFAR - what a great pic. You are one lucky girl. By the time I got a chance to chat with Carmen, they were not allowing any pictures. But I am glad you were able to get one. Both of you look really great. Hope to see you sometime soon again, it was wonderful to finally meet you.
                    Welcome to the thread, Dani - I hope you post here more often and help us keep the appreciation of our dear Carmen at the forefront.

WE LOVE CARMEN/JACOB! AU JACOB, please!!!!

Comment

Welcome to the thread, Dani - I hope you post here more often and help us keep the appreciation of our dear Carmen at the forefront.

WE LOVE CARMEN/JACOB! AU JACOB, please!!!!
                      Thank you and !

Episodes with Carmen/Jacob were always on my list of favorites. Just yesterday I watched Death Knell and I realized again how much I miss him. Episodes with him were always special. I can't quite put my fingure on it, but Carmen has a very unique presence that I was fortunate enough to experience myself at Shore Leave. And this presence shines through when he plays Carmen. I would so love to see Jacob again. Hey, it's scifi, anything is possible, right?!?

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                        Thank you and !

Episodes with Carmen/Jacob were always on my list of favorites. Just yesterday I watched Death Knell and I realized again how much I miss him. Episodes with him were always special. I can't quite put my fingure on it, but Carmen has a very unique presence that I was fortunate enough to experience myself at Shore Leave. And this presence shines through when he plays Carmen. I would so love to see Jacob again. Hey, it's scifi, anything is possible, right?!?
                        Yep, I watched Reckoning again and he's always so outstanding. The difference in facial expressions when he's Jacob as opposed to Selmak - it must take skill to be able to portray the difference. I also miss the onscreen interaction between Carmen and AT - they shine in one another's presence.

Comment

Yay Jacob!!!

Just felt like saying that.

I am going to say Yay Frasier here too.... just because these guest characters ROCKED.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I've decided to try and revive this thread. Really for my own amusement, but if anyone is interested in joining me, I'm happy for the company.

I'm on a focus on secondary characters kick right now, and Jacob is one of my all-time favorites. He added so much to the show. He gave Sam depth, and was a wonderful foil for Jack. He made the Tok'ra storyline possible. One of my few complaints is that I would have liked to see more exploration of the differences between Jacob and Selmak; she/he(?) doesn't come out to play very often. But it was interesting to see how Selmak influenced and changed Jacob.

Jacob is first introduced in season 2 and was in 25 episodes of SG1. I plan on rewatching and reviewing all 25. (Maybe about 1 a week if I can manage it). I'd welcome anyone else's thoughts and feedback as I go along.

Here's the list of Season 2 episodes so all who wish to may follow along:
                            Secrets
                            The Tok'ra Part 1
                            The Tok'ra Part 2
                            Show and Tell

I'll try and get a review of Secrets up in the next day or two.
                            Last edited by hlndncr; 18 June 2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Secrets

Summary:
                              Sam and Jack are in Washington to receive the Air Medal from the President, officially for their work in analyzing deep space radar telemetry, but really for blowing up Apophis's motherships and saving the world from the Gou'ald. General Hammond invites Sam's dad, Major General Jacob Carter to the ceremony, where he informs her that he has pulled some strings to get her into NASA. Sam is not thrilled with her father's interference and he becomes upset with her apparent lack of gratitude for doing what he thinks is helping her achieve her dream of going into space. When Colonel O'Neill witnesses the death of a reporter who has threatened to expose the Stargate program, the medal ceremony is cancelled. Sam's dad informs her that he has cancer and they part on bad terms.
                              (There is a second plot with Daniel and Teal'c on Abydos, but it has no bearing on Jacob's character, and so I'm not going to summarize or review it.)

Favorite Scene: Where Jack and Jacob meet for the first time. It's the beginning of a beautiful (if slightly antagonistic) friendship.

Favorite Lines:
                              I retired myself once; couldn't stay away.
                              Jacob: From deep space radar telemetry?
                              Well it's just so damned fascinating.

Generally:
                              This is a great introduction for Jacob's charater. We learn a lot about him. He's career Air Force and obviously very successful to become a two star general. He served with Hammond, and I believe they are friends. He is appearantly stationed in Washington, probably at the Pentagon, and is about to retire. He clearly has some very high connections and knows how to work them. However, they aren't high enough to know what his daughter is really doing, and I get the feeling that bothers him quite a bit. And of course, at the end we learn that he has cancer. All of this makes for a very interesting, multifaceted character right off the bat, and we just add more layers to him as the series moves forward, which is one of the reasons I love this character.

Jacob/Sam:
                              Jacob's relationship with his daughter is central to this episode's storyline and it's focus of keeping and revealing secrets, but it is also a major part of Sam's character development and growth. Adding this tense and complicated father/daughter dynamic was a brilliant move for Sam's character. It gives her so much more depth and interest. We can begin to see what has shaped and molded her into the officer and person she is up to this point.

CA and AT play their scenes so well that you can read so much into their relationship from just the tiny tip of the iceberg we actually see on screen. From Sam we see both surprise and apprehension the moment she realizes her father is there, and the unease carries throughout the episode. (We see her standing at military parade rest when she's with him; superior officer first, dad second.) When her father tells her about the strings he's pulled to get her into NASA you can see her desire to please him and live up to his vision for her, but at the same time a resentment that he just doesn't get her or the fact that she has a life of her own to live. And you can just tell that she's not the kind of person who wants any favors from her dad. She wants to know that she can make it on her own.

I think for Jacob he is obviously proud of his brilliant daughter, but he can't stop himself from pushing her. I think he's slightly resentful that he's out of the loop and the NASA gig is just his way of getting back in. I'm sure feeling so out of control with the cancer and what may happen next doesn't help because orchestrating Sam's life seems to be one way he's decided to take back some control and run things (like any good general should right?) You can tell that he's really not good with the emotional stuff. When the medal ceremony is cancelled he says Sam must be disappointed, but he's not willing to express his own disappointment. He also just dumps the cancer news on her, then closes up and walks away.

Jacob/Hammond:
                              We learn that Jacob and Hammond have served together and at least keep in touch enough for Hammond to feel comfortable making the invite to come see Sam get her medal. I think it is interesting because here and in The Tok'ra coming up, Hammond plays an intermediary between Jacob and Sam. He knows and respects both of them and brings a sort of caring outsider perspective to their relationship that eventually helps the two reconcile.

Jacob/Jack:
                              I love the dynamic between these two characters. Right from the beginning you can see this antagonistic, reluctant respect. I mean I think Jack starts off trying to be open and friendly (his usual flippant self) but that obviously doesn't fly and the stand-off begins. Jacob is clearly suspicious, not just of their cover story, but of the man who has clearly won his daughter's loyalty and respect. Interesting to see how alike these two really are (which has got to have Jacob worried). Both career soldiers with a tough exterior and (as we find out later about Jacob) a rather sarcastic sense of humor. Both have an alpha male self assuredness. And I think each in their own way, have a great deal of pride in Sama and want her approval and respect in turn. While I believe Jacob eventually develops a fondness for Jack, at first I really don't think he's too impressed with Sam's CO. And in terms of their little sparring match/staring contest, Jacob definitely wins as Jack (wisely) opts for a strategic retreat.
                              Last edited by hlndncr; 30 June 2010, 07:56 AM.

Comment

The Tok'ra Part 1

Summary:
                                Sam has a dream in which she believes she has seen the location of the Tok'ra base from Jolinar's memories. Believing they could become allies against the goa'uld she convinces her superiors to allow her team to go through the stargate to try and make contact. Before leaving she calls her father and tries to mend some fences, knowing that he is dying of cancer and he may not be there when she returns. While SG1 are off-world trying to negotiate an alliance with the Tok'ra, General Hammond receives a call from Jacob. He goes to the hospital, where Jacob tries once again to discover what kind of work Sam really does for the Air Force.

During their talks with the Tok'ra, SG1 is introduced to Selmak and her host Saroosh, who is over 200 years old and dying. Selmak will also die if another willing host cannot be found. Not suprisingly, no one on SG1 is anxious to volunteer. At the hospital, General Hammond is told that Jacob has very little time and he should get any family there right away. He sends SG3 to the Tok'ra planet to extract Carter and bring her home to say goodbye to her father. The Tok'ra, however, decide to reject earth's proposal of an alliance and take SG1 and SG3 prisoner.

Favorite Line:

Jacob: Tell me what my little girl's doing.

. . . You know it's classified.

Jacob: . . . Who am I going to tell? God?

Generally:
                                We have a clear continuation of the relationships established in Secrets. Sam and Jacob continue to push against each other, even while you can tell they want to find a way to come together. Meanwhile, General Hammond continues to play the intermediary, trying to talk sense into both of them. And it is quite clear from the outset that the situation with Saroosh/Selmak is setting us up for Jacob to take a trip through the gate, which is a very nice pay off to the cancer storyline (but more about that in part 2).

Jacob and Hammond:
                                I have to point out here again that I believe Jacob and General Hammond have a very close friendship. When Sam asks if he knew her dad had taken an apartment in Colorado Springs, it comes as no surprise to Hammond. He states that he has known Jacob a long time, and he clearly knows his and his daughter's personalities (and stubborness) very well. When Jacob is in the hospital and needs to talk with someone, he calls his friend George. And I just love the naturalness of the friendship and interactions between these two. I can picture them as young men serving together, and spending time with one another's families.

Jacob and Sam:
                                Here we see Jacob trying to get closer to Sam by moving to Colorado Springs, but still unwilling to let her in completely by not letting her be there and support him in his illness. I think this just leaves Sam wondering if he really has any love or respect for her at all. He continues to push both Sam and George about what her real job is, and I think Sam takes offense at that. He won't let her in on his life, but he expects to know everything that is going on in hers. I also think she fears his disapproval. Hammond rightly points out that one thing Sam has clearly learned from her father is to be a good soldier and do her duty no matter the personal cost to herself or those she loves.

I also have to note that when SG3 comes to give her the news that her father is dying, she doesn't ask to go home or lets herself show any weakness. It's Jack who picks a fight with the Tok'ra to try and let her leave. Jack knows what it means to be a tough soldier, but he also has come to understand through sad experience what is really important. Something Jacob probably knows too, but has buried and has not tried to pass on to his daughter.

Comment

Working...
                                X