• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Snowmen (2012)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 33
    THE SNOWMEN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3306 (706)

When Victorian London is beset by an army of intelligent snow a children’s governess pleads with the Doctor for help, drawing him out of his isolation to save the planet once again.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 27 December 2012, 06:12 AM.

AWESOME titles and theme!!! Very much in the vein of classic Who. I heartily approve.

I should have known there would be a Sherlock Holmes reference...

Poor old Strax, resurrection hasn't done him any favours.

TARDIS exterior looks a bit worn.

Ah, it's those glasses again.

Liking the new TARDIS interior!

"Smaller on the outside"

Wow, I think that must be the shortest time a companion's had to be with the Doctor to be given a key.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Dammit Sealurk again!
      Very good episode, highly approve of the new companion (not just on looks)
      Very interested to see where this storyline is going...
      Approve of the new TARDIS and opening sequence too.
      I enjoyed Strax in this one and look forward to seeing him again.

Best Christmas episode so far though, and really looking forward to 2013, looks awesome!

2013 trailer
      http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-7-pa...iler-43268.htm
      Last edited by Teddybrown; 25 December 2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

An ok episode.

Too many Sherlock references, one was fine (and welcomed )

Strax was the best part.

TARDIS interior looks good.

The character side of the story was excellent, the end of the world side... kinda got wrapped up too quickly.

The episode either needed an extra thirty minutes in length or just cut the end of the world entirely. The characters were that good i think the episode could have functioned perfectly well without it.

Titles looked amazing, very classic who. next year looks good
        People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

all ill say so far is Strax FTW and the BBC defiantly need to do a Lady Vastra Special at some point
          ----------------------------
          You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Very much enjoyed today's episode.

Loved the new title sequence, it fitted in well with my classic who nostalgia binge I've been on today.

The characterisation was well done and I was able to engage with the family and Clara quickly.

Poor old Strax, he does try but as said before in this thread, resurrection didn't do him much favours in his mental faculties. He does at least have his moments and it was amusing watching his banter with the Doctor.

I'll admit, I was looking forward to there being a companion from the past travelling with the Doctor but... well, I think this will be much more interesting

and a final note
            Spoiler:
            my mum giggled out loud when the Doctor was commenting on the "Greater Intellligance" card. She explained afterwards that she had worked out the reference, both to the card and the significance of the London underground map. Apparently yetis were one of the few old Doctor Who monsters that didn't scare her as a child
            If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
            sigpic

Comment

I sorta knew the connection, from reading about past episodes, but now I can link the map...
              So, Im guessing this episode is after the old episodes chronologically? As in, this isnt their first attempt at taking Earth and those episodes were?
              Im interested to see Dr Simeons
              Spoiler:
              return in the finale and how it links

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                I sorta knew the connection, from reading about past episodes, but now I can link the map...
                So, Im guessing this episode is after the old episodes chronologically? As in, this isnt their first attempt at taking Earth and those episodes were?
                Im interested to see Dr Simeons
                Spoiler:
                return in the finale and how it links
                Actually I think the implication is that this comes before those old Who episodes chronologically.
                If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
                sigpic

Comment

Holy moly, that was fantastic! The entire cast was brilliant in it but obviously Matt led it amazingly as always and continues to dazzle and shine as The Doctor and Jenna-Louise Coleman is wonderful! She was a joy to watch and I welcome her to the Whoniverse and Clara to the TARDIS crew! Here's to the start of a new chapter for Doctor Who and the beginning of the Doctor and Clara's adventures together through time and space!

And there were sooooo many things I wasn't expecting to see!
                  Spoiler:
                  A new title sequence! A new variation of the DW theme! A new TARDIS console room which is absolutely spectacular! The return (or origin story(?)) of an old enemy!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                  K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

1. Clara...was not what I was expecting. She rocks though.

2. How in the hell have either Vestra or Strax not been lynched?

3. Great Intelligence...as in old School Yeti! Interesting.

4. Simeon was...little bit too close to home as a bad guy.

Fun ep though.
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I hope to see more of Strax next year, he's fast becoming the comical sidekick, the whole scene with the worm had me in stitches.

Clara is a bit of a mystery, but hell, already a far more spunky companion than Amy, (in a less pin up her arse sort of way), not sure on the "mystery of the companion" storyline though, seems vaguely familiar tbh, one day he might just pickup a companion that doesn't have baggage.

Comment

I enjoyed the episode a lot!

The actual episode was great. I'm not sure about the Tardis though, I did prefer the old one... but ya know. Probably on my own there

Again, not sure if I like Clara. I'll probably like her in the end, but I did like Amy and Rory.

I'm really looking forward to 2013 though. I'm sure I'll get used to them soon!

Comment

It could be because I had to stay up bloody late based on my current shift patterns and the time this was aired where I currently am, and because every now and then I had to shoot death glares at some colleagues who decided to have conversations.... but this episode didn't thrill me. Which is dissapointing. When I get the opportunity to watch this again in the UK, then I will re-assess my opinion. But apart from the opening sequence (which was GLORIOUS), much of the episode felt like a hangover from the RTD era. Not so impressed. The Snowmen themselves didn't interest me, and the Ice-Governess just didn'twork for me, particularly with Moffat's trademark out of place one liner ('are you my mummy', 'who turned out the lights'), something that worked the first time, but hasn't since.

I found the Doctor's character far too easily wavering back to his traditional self, which was dissapoinint. I'm intrigued by Oswin - looks like this could be an interesting arc... the scenes with the Great Intelligence in the 'lab' were very good, and I hope it's revisited - why doesn't the Doctor remember it though?

Much as I like her character, I resent the implication that Vastra is Holmes, however, it was implied in the Talons of Weng Chiang that the Doctor was the inspiration for Holmes. Strax, alternatively, is amazing.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Draygon View Post
                            Actually I think the implication is that this comes before those old Who episodes chronologically.
                            Technically it dosen't because at this time the GI is already in tibet possessing the body of the High Priest of the Det Sen Monastary for about 300 years or so. But I am sure there will be a Timey Wimey explanation to it. Hence the map of the LU.
                            And thought Oswin was ok. Nothing that they haven't really done before. I stay make Strax the new companion. That would be fun and DIFFERANT!
                            Vesta and her wife didn't need to be in the story. Neither really did much other then provide excuses to move things along.
                            New Tardis console very retro rocking cool. Interior looked cgi and kinda plain but still a nice change.
                            I like Sharky
                            sigpic

Comment

As usual, would like a second viewing before deciding. I think I liked it, though the Christmas eps are usually more lightweight than normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X