Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Jaffa staff weapons have different settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the Jaffa staff weapons have different settings?

I ask this because we have seen the staff weapon used to various effect with no acknowledgement of a change in settings at the time.
    For example in 'children of the gods' it blows through a very thick stone wall having an explosive effect but in 'Need' it is fired at the sarcophagus and has more of a z.a.t like effect on it as opposed to physically blowing a hole in it.
    The examples stated above are only two of many too numerous to mention(or for you to read )which lead me to ask the question. If it is a case of simply changing the settings like from stun to kill and you know where it is told I would greatly appreciate knowing what episode it explains it as this has always irked me when I notice it
    If it is however just a mistake by the show, c'est la vie ..
    Last edited by sgelite; 15 November 2012, 06:47 PM.
    Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

It's never explicitly stated, but I'd say yes, most definitely. However I would say that with the staff all settings are lethal but are varied on power. For example, O'Neill was shot in the leg with a staff (at some point in the Ne'tu 2-parter) and while hobbling, was still able to walk, whereas most other times a staff has been used to kill with one shot, blow things up etc.

I think it's actually for dramatic effect only and was more or less an oversight of the production team, but the idea of a variable power weapon works well and just about fits the on-screen evidence. Personally I think it's also linked to firing rate (i.e. a Jaffa can fire lots of weak bolts in a short time, or hold the trigger down and loose off a particularly powerful one - look at Bra'tac's solo fight at the Stargate in "Bloodlines" and the speed he fires his staff).
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
      It's never explicitly stated, but I'd say yes, most definitely. However I would say that with the staff all settings are lethal but are varied on power. For example, O'Neill was shot in the leg with a staff (at some point in the Ne'tu 2-parter) and while hobbling, was still able to walk, whereas most other times a staff has been used to kill with one shot, blow things up etc.

I think it's actually for dramatic effect only and was more or less an oversight of the production team, but the idea of a variable power weapon works well and just about fits the on-screen evidence. Personally I think it's also linked to firing rate (i.e. a Jaffa can fire lots of weak bolts in a short time, or hold the trigger down and loose off a particularly powerful one - look at Bra'tac's solo fight at the Stargate in "Bloodlines" and the speed he fires his staff).
      That makes sense. Although I always think to the episode 'the warrior' where O'Neill gets carter to have a little shoot-off, p90 v staff weapon.
      The p90 tore the log target to shreds whereas the staff weapon just slightly scorched it.

Comment

Also note the incredible power the staff weapon has in the original movie.
        I'd say it could have three settings. The weak "zat" one, the medium which is most common and the strong one.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
          Also note the incredible power the staff weapon has in the original movie.
          I'd say it could have three settings. The weak "zat" one, the medium which is most common and the strong one.
          What about the one that disintegrates matter hehe

Comment

Originally posted by sgelite View Post
            There is no disintegrate matter setting...

Comment

I always liked Teal'cs huge bazooka type staff he used once
              O'Neill: So, what's your impression of Alar?
              Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
              O'Neill: Like what?
              Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mist View Post
                I always liked Teal'cs huge bazooka type staff he used once
                Yeah, it's always fun when he breaks out the staff cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by sgelite View Post
                  Actually it was a third zat shot that was supposed to disintegrate matter. Not a staff blast. However, from what I understand they stopped doing that on the show.

Can anyone think of a time when they used a third zat shot after that time in the episode 1969?

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed him blasting Tanith with his bazooka.
                    Though a recurring villain didn't have a glamorous end.
                    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

No. The plot shield is just stronger around some people and stronger on some day vs other days
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                        There is no disintegrate matter setting...
                        lol I know, just my rather weak attempt at humour it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by tlw View Post
                          Actually it was a third zat shot that was supposed to disintegrate matter. Not a staff blast. However, from what I understand they stopped doing that on the show.

Can anyone think of a time when they used a third zat shot after that time in the episode 1969?
                          I was making a wee joke in reference to the zat;s,I know the staff never disintegrated I was merely highlighting the silliness of the third shot function.
                          However that is a really good question because I do think they did use it at least one more time to disintegrate matter.
                          I am going to have to go search my library,,,I'll be back,

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                            I thoroughly enjoyed him blasting Tanith with his bazooka.
                            Though a recurring villain didn't have a glamorous end.
                            Loved teal'c even when he stopped running with the staff weapon he couldn't just use one p90 like everyone else, not our teal'c, no he has one in each hand cause he is that tough
                            Tanith was one of those pesky characters that slipped through sg1's fingers to many times.
                            Teal'c should have been allowed to deal with him straight after they landed that mother ship in 'exodus'. Come to think of it can someone tell me how the hell Tanith, who was lying on the floor, managed to over power two armed tokra's and the female council member?
                            All while being unarmed himself and simulating some sort of seizure!!
                            No wonder the Tok'ra never got a lot done over the centuries, with inept guards like that. You would think they would know better they have been about for thousands of years sometimes, individually, but nooooo they fall for the old 'he's having an attack' routine. I am glad we stopped things with the Tok'ra.
                            I did love it that Teal'c finally got his man. The funny thing is it happens in about eight seconds of footage followed by a statement from teal'c at the end of the episode where he was asked what he thought had happened, to which he simply says " I have had my revenge, Tanith is dead. (48 hours)

Comment

From what I understand The actor who played Tanith was not available for the episode so some rewriting of his death had to be done. The shots you see of him had been filmed already so it was a simple matter to cut it in.

As far as the weapons power levels went, they were always as powerful as the writers needed them to be, especially regarding Zats.
                              In "1969" the team are involved in a firefight while waiting for the perfect time to go through the gate. There is a guard on the walkway above them, and the hand rail he is behind gets hit by at least 4 Zat shots and it fails to disintegrate.
                              In most cases a single hit with the Zat knocks a person out for some time, in "Prodigy", however, O'Neill is shot and almost immediately gets up, groggily and wobbly true, but he does not get knocked out.
                              Last edited by SeaBee; 26 November 2012, 02:51 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X