The Hobbit : Discussion/News/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hobbit : Discussion/News/Speculation

Newline cinema have decided to drop Peter Jackson as director of the upcoming The Hobbit and LOTR prequel projects.

Not a smart move on their part, IMO. Without PJ the movies would never have been made, he was the one who approached the studio with a view to filming the books in the first place.
    What about the 12 oscars PJ and ROTK took home?

How many fans are going to end up boycotting the movies because of their decision?

Here is a link in case anyone wants the entire story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6167972.stm

It just goes to show how moronic people can be! When you think of the gazillions of dollars the LOTR franchise has made and they remove the genius behind bringing it to life on the bigscreen? Because of a squabble over a lawsuit? Are they nuts or what?

Comment

I'm a little baffled about what these other LOTR prequel projects are supposed to entail. The only thing I can think of is The Silmarillion, and that's not really a story that would translate well onto the big screen.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

yikes thats gonna turn out to be a huge mistake , but poor PJ i did think he would be the directer but wow , its a surprise

Comment

He's working on several other projects that are probably going to take as much time. I mean, he has a whole other war to plan out, this time from a video game.
          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how these movies turn out and who they get instead of PJ.

I'm wondering what these prequels are as well.. I agree with DigiFluid about The Silmarillion.

Comment

sacrilige. he gave life to the movies. who else will get the same quality and attention to detail from the books.
              mind you....

how could you even translate the silmarillion to film in the firstplace?!
              sigpic

Comment

It's all very bizarre. Sounds like a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Wonder if Ian McKellan or Ian Holm will reprise their respective roles.

At least one would expect that they'd get Weta to do the costumes and sfx.

The Silmarillion is a monster of a book in terms of adaptation.
                Last edited by Easter Lily; 26 November 2006, 05:54 PM.
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Just. Plain. Stupid.
                    sigpic
                    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

The reason the PJ will not be directing the Hobbit is because New Line Cinema and PJ are involved in litigation dealing with the royalities on the LOTR triology. New Line was the Hobbit done now, PJ wants to wait until the litigation is resolved. New Line said fine, we'll get someone else to direct it. Now there is another company that owns the rights to the Hobbit, its not New Line Cinema, might be Lion's gate or MGM, not too for sure and they want PJ to direct the Hobbit.

I think if anyone besides Peter Jackson directs the hobbit, it will be an unmitigated disaster. PJ proved with LOTR that he has the vision and the ability to bring the rich Tolkein universe to life and any other director just will not cut it. The new director will most likely not be using the same Weta workshop that did the LOTR, so the effects will look different and that will put people off. I'm not sure that a director would want to take that kind of pressure onto themselves, as huge as the fandom is, that would be like stepping into a huge mine field.

Comment

Here you go:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30806

It's the Saul Zaentz Company (they basically own Tolkien Enterprises now). I guess New Line could go ahead and try to get something out before the film rights revert back over to Zaentz, but if they do, it will smack of a rush job and basically be a slap in the face to all the people that made them so much money with the Rings movies. Of course, they don't care so much about that, just that they make some green...

Comment

Originally posted by Karyyk View Post
                          Here you go:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30806

It's the Saul Zaentz Company (they basically own Tolkien Enterprises now). I guess New Line could go ahead and try to get something out before the film rights revert back over to Zaentz, but if they do, it will smack of a rush job and basically be a slap in the face to all the people that made them so much money with the Rings movies. Of course, they don't care so much about that, just that they make some green...
                          Well, that sounds better... let's hope good sense prevails.
                          The trilogy wasn't perfect by any means but I'd rather PJ do it than anyone else.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

As long as whoever ends up directing attempts to keep the same style with The Hobbit everything should be okay as far as that goes. (Other than it is unfair to Jackson who put so much of himself into LotR.) It's not a horribly complex story. But if they were to do The Silmarillion, it would be a disaster without Jackson. I truly believe that he's the only director who could currently pull it off. It would be a massive undertaking and at this point in time, he's probably the best choice to handle a massive undertaking. The only other guy who's really worked with a story/world so large is Lucas... and let's not hand things to him to be destroyed. But on the other hand, perhaps there's some untapped young talent out there who could be the next Peter Jackson. Maybe we won't be let down.
                            sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

I don't think the 'other prequel' is the Silmarillion. My understanding is that it's an original movie to bridge the gap between Hobbit and Fellowship. My *guess* would be that it takes the stuff from the LotR appendicies about Aragon's youth and dramatizes it.

Comment

Working...
                              X