Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would you accept a spin- off where it is based entirely in an alternate universe,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would you accept a spin- off where it is based entirely in an alternate universe,

I was thinking this earlier while continum was on, what if a plan like baals worked, or a team went through the quantum mirror with no way back, could we accept it, it would open up so many different story angles as you seen in, the road not taken, and could potentially revitalize the whole franchise, but could you.buy into the premise completely???: I discussed this with a friend earlier and somewhere in that conversation cake an idea for a show where a team of familiar sg faces find a way to manipulate solar flares like in continum but on a smaller scale and with less frequency, could it work,,, ........anyway that's just how I feel, what do you think.....???. ( my homage )
    Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

The quantom mirror was destroyed... but I have come up with a solution to that before.

What if Ba'al's clone's host retained Ba'al's personality, but joined the SGC while he built his own Quantom Mirror so he could go to a new reality where he could twist events his way. But he gets followed through by Carter (she just makes the most sense) who manages to figure out whats going on.

Sam and Ba'al part ways without either of them dying. They find that the Earth hasn't gone out into the galaxy, and that Anubis and Ra have are at war. Both are far more powerful than they ever were in the other reality.

Ba'al triggers a Jaffa Rebellion, guiding Rya'c to become his second in command, and highlighting that he isn't a Goa'uld (because he isn't physiologically).

Carter returns to Earth, and although they keep her earthside she is allowed to act as an advisor (under consideration). As they learn to trust her, she gets to take part alot more in the new program... though she misses her world...
    Last edited by Twilord; 27 October 2012, 04:59 AM.
    With Superb-Caliber-Frag-Statistics-Explosions-Are-Delicious!!

Comment

Alternate timeline that doesn't get restored? No, that'd just be copying the 2009 Star Trek movie. A parallel reality? It depends. If an SGC team crossed over to the alternate reality, sure! Don't copy Sliders and feature multiple realities, the one is more than enough to explore. What if the point of divergence was "Lost City?" Anubis conquered Earth in 2004, now fast forward to the present day. The story could be about the "prime reality team" trying to liberate the alternate reality Earth. They'd have knowledge on ZPM's, Atlantis, Destiny, the Ori, and so much more. In this alternate reality, the replicators and Asurans are still at large. Can that work to Earth's advantage? This actually has a lot of potential. Ending the show would be very simple. Simply make the series finale about the "prime team" going home to "their" reality.

Comment

Sounds interesting. I'd definitely give it a go.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          Alternate timeline that doesn't get restored? No, that'd just be copying the 2009 Star Trek movie. A parallel reality? It depends. If an SGC team crossed over to the alternate reality, sure! Don't copy Sliders and feature multiple realities, the one is more than enough to explore. What if the point of divergence was "Lost City?" Anubis conquered Earth in 2004, now fast forward to the present day. The story could be about the "prime reality team" trying to liberate the alternate reality Earth. They'd have knowledge on ZPM's, Atlantis, Destiny, the Ori, and so much more. In this alternate reality, the replicators and Asurans are still at large. Can that work to Earth's advantage? This actually has a lot of potential. Ending the show would be very simple. Simply make the series finale about the "prime team" going home to "their" reality.
          this would be one i could imagine.

Comment

Aye i could imagine summit like that grabbing or capturing my attention. But a whole series based on an alternate reality?Nah,cos i can see me now watching it all and so much stuff happens then in the final episode they end up back in normal universe and nothing thats happened in the whole series now really matters.Your talking to a kid who grew up during the 80's being forced to watch an entire series of Dallas ,the whole "who shot JR Ewing" thing,only to find out none of it actually happened cos it was all a dream!!! Traumatised ?Indeed!
            O'Neill: So, what's your impression of Alar?
            Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
            O'Neill: Like what?
            Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
              Sounds interesting. I'd definitely give it a go.
              Id take an Orville-like version of Stargate any day
              Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

AU version of Stargate would feel like Sliders. It is good for a few episodes, but we don't want travel between realities, rather distances with the stargate network.

An AU based spinoff could work if there would be an invasion from an alternate reality. Somehow I always imagined that the Furlings were the master of the different realms, so just because they are nowhere in our reality, maybe they have visited a few different one. Or there could be an other race who would ally with themselves, so they would learn all the secrets (like tech, bases, ships, technologies) through the different alternate realities. If the new showrunners could establish a new stargate protocol (like inherited from an other network or introduced from an other reality) which would allow travelers to "dial" different realities through the stargate then the gates could play an active role instead of the mirrors. But it would still feel like Sliders honestly.
                Last edited by Platschu; 03 January 2019, 01:35 PM.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I think I'd be more interested in limited runs of that kind of thing. I'd definitely be interested in seeing something that explores alternate outcomes of events (kind of like Fandy did with their 3 part Stargate series) but I don't think I'd want an ongoing series on it.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

It is fun to see alternate timelines and events, but it is not really realistic to expect that our noble heroes will sacrifice themselves for an unknown reality which hasn't got a direct effect on them. Let me explain it.

SG-1 ended up in the past, in ancient Egypt. Why would they not interact with the locals? They can't go back, they can't see the outcome of their decisions. So why would they sacrifice their whole life for an alternate future themselves? Every decision can make a new alternate reality, so why should they care about consequences? Because it still feels cheating that our main timeline suddently got a ZPM from nothing, because they haven't done anything for it. They can't know what the other time travellers have done or how much of their life was ruined for a potential positive future outcome.

So that is the main reason I believe the alternate universe would be ethically a wrong choice of a spinoff. But I always tried to imagine what if the events of the Stargate: Infinity (or any other non-canon SG merchandise products), the Battlestar Galactice reboot or even the Babylon 5 happened in an AU? Could the Cylons and the 12 Colonies lived before the Goa'uld? Are the jumpgates the next generation Stargates? Are the Vorlons a group of Ancients? What if Mulder and Scully investigates the SGC and the whole Stargate is an X-file? What if the Highlanders are "quiet Goa'ulds" and they can sense each other and they have to behead each other to kill the snake around the neck? Such things could happen in a crossover AU world...
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I'm with @Platschu on this one... it's definitely not like our heroes to sacrifice themselves for an unknown universe or timeline or reality that doesn't have a direct effect on them..

I would have more but he pretty much said what I thought LOL

It's an interesting concept though, good thread! I enjoyed reading everyone's replies

-Frank
                      sigpic

Comment

An AU could easily work, but the ONLY way it would is to have a) some connective property to the original SG universe, and also by avoiding doing permanent harm to ANY beloved character from the original universe.

The second post here mentions a possible idea - Ba'al and Carter. That'd be interesting as a one-off... but how do you keep that going? What about Carter? Are you essentially making her into a John Crichton? His character arc only worked because we were NOT introduced to him previously. Could you imagine watching Carter lose EVERYTHING after seasons of SG-1 and SG:A? All that just got wiped?

No. It would hurt the fans too much to witness THAT much suffering. Let Prime Carter live the happy life with Jack or whatever.

So then... how to do an alternate universe... in a way that "WE" want to watch it? Wellllll there is a solution but I'm not sure how many people here agree. I guess this is a testing sample.

I say we take an existing character who is currently dead, but at one point could have sent a clone/double/ally to an alternate universe. So many ways to do this. Obviously the mirror is the easiest solution.... who is to say Set was the only Goa'uld on Earth at that time? Who is to say someone didn't travel back in time and use the mirror when it existed? Who is to say there aren't other options?

The key here is... what is this universe they go to? Why do we want to watch it if all our universe is gone? Why did they go there?

Lets start by Where.

Where - a universe where Jack never killed Ra, because Daniel was UNABLE (not unwilling) to find the solution to the Stargate because "that Daniel" never went for coffee that one night, and didn't see the starmap. Essentially, all the characters in SG-1/Atlantis would be alive in some form in this universe, and if the actors want to play a new version they can. This also allows for crossovers from the prime universe, if the actors want to.

Why did the goa'uld go there? - Because he could. Wanted power. wanted goa'uld allies from another universe. Because he had to, to live.

Why do this set up? Because it removes ALL the powerful tech humans had by the end of SG-1. It is an essential reboot... that still keeps existing canon as canon and doesn't trap any of our beloved characters in a no win situation. In fact in some ways it revives those characters, or at least their memories.

Call it... Stargate SG-2, because it follows the "second" team after the first team (not the main characters of SG1, but a bunch of A-list actors like Timothy Oliphant) dies in the first episode (in a similar manner to how SG teams get wiped every now and then by the goa'uld).

I get the idea of a cast like this....

leader - Al Swear... I mean Ian McShane, head of SGC.
                        SG-2 leader - Bob Morley from the 100.
                        SG-2 scientist - Donald Glover (or someone who can pull off half of his charisma/persona).
                        SG-2 historian/diplomat - Melissa Benoist (Supergirl/ I really want a "ditzy" type girl to break the mold)
                        SG-2 Badass - Lana Condor (deadly Class), I want a small girl here, counter to Teal'C. Which would make for a FUN AF crossover if they ever met (like Ronan/Teal'c).

Best yet? Launch it as a miniseries like BSG was launched. Two, one hour long episodes. See how the fanbase deals with it. I guarantee you if half as much heart was put into it as SGA or SG-1 when it went to Scifi/syfy) we'd eat it up and ask for more. If you put MORE effort in... well you'd get the next cult scifi property.

Comment

I got a story multiverse loosely based on Stargate in my head. I feel like I have to write it. It is like Orville except for Stargate. I am trying to figure it out since 1994 it seems.
                          Hello
                          I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Comment

There are so many type of fanfics. If you believe in the story, then just write it. Then re-write it. I am sure the SG fans are happy to read more fanfics.

I was thinking it could be interesting to see a new tv show where they would reveal the stargate only at the end of the first season. So nobody would know it is an SG spin-off.

And would a character work in Stargate who could break the 4th wall? Or would it ruin the seriousness of the show if one of the main character could talk out and comment the events to the audience like Deadpool? Would such comedy element work in a future SG spinoff?

Comment

I would love a spin-off where "Lost City" would be the SG-1's series finale. No SGA and no SGU stuff.

The Stargate program goes public, its publication actually messes up the entire World to the point that everyone realizes that going public was a big mistake. Due to all nations across the World getting to have and run their own Stagate program, it creates tnesions not only between SGC's allies and the SGC, but between SGC's allies as well.

For example, the Asgard still support SGC while Jaffas are leaning towards just forgetting about SGC, which even results Teal'c and Bra'tac actually turning against their SG-1 friends - even O'Neill and eventually making Asgard and other SGC's allies to choose between having good realtions either with them or with the SGC. The tensions result into a galactic war, SG-1 somehow gets blamed for it and are persued not only by Earth's newly-formed authorities but of the authoriries of their former allied friends - Teal'c and Bra'tac, who got to play a major role in bringing piece to their Nations, not giving any thought about how does the whole thing affect Jack, Daniel, Jonas, Jack, George and Sam.

When the Asgard turn against the SGC as well, the SG-1 members all mysteriousely dissappear until the war goes cold and looses its purpose. Years pass and a new SG-1 team is formed, called SG-X, with only sole purpose: after the galactic War going cold and basically loosing its purpose, the Earth's reformed authorities take off the SG-1 members of all Wanted lists. However, SG-X quickly finds out that various SG-1 members have gone seaprate ways and are living in various parts of the World under new identities. Due to changed laws and politics around the World, finding SG-1 is easier said than done. There's absolutely no sign of the group or whatsoever.

Without any other options, SG-X visits Tealc's home planet - the same planet where O'Neill made Teal'c betray Anubis. They find Teal'c, who is sick, and obviously misses his SG-1 friends. At this point, Bra'tac had paseed away already due to major illness that is the result of the cold galactic war, but has left a letter for Teal'c containing information where to find SG-1 and how to return everything to normal. But the letter got stolen by another SG team years ago that was pretending to be SG-1 using the Goa'uld technology. Now SG-X must convince Teal'c to re-join the SGC and help them search for answers for what actually happened all those years ago. But what SG-X doesn't know is that they must dig really deep to find the answers they seek, including uniting their forces with somehow revived and now fully-powered Anubis.
                              Last edited by Mnikolic; 18 June 2019, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X