No announcement yet.

Seed (301)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops - I meant Dawn of the Dead.. though yes, it is a movie, not TV...

Considering a lot of zombie movies are rated R for gore/nudity/horror... it's quite incredible that The Walking Dead has been such a success on tv. I dare say that it doesn't have as high a "quota" as a typical movie regarding gore/deaths etc, but it does throw up some good episodes like Seed...

Can't say I can think of many other zombie tv adventures... there was the Big Brother based "Dead Set" from the UK a couple years ago... that's all I know of I think...
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Comment

In this episode happened much more then in the first seven episodes of season two alltogether ! I didn't see that one coming with Herschel but I guess he is one if the few characters who are not that important, although he is the only doctor. Awesome episode though and bear McCreary did an awesome job for composing this score for the episode !
      sigpic

Comment

Hershel's singing daughter would have been my candidate to get the chomp... unless she develops some interesting abilities or... personality...
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
          As for the baby... I see your point...but we know this show is really dark and cutting edge...so I half expect them to have to kill it which would be really horrible....but how many shows have actually shown infanticide? this would be the show to break that ground IMO It's one of those no no's in TV Like it is off limits...but we'll see. But I'm with you...dragging around an infant in this and watching Lori breastfeed and everyone taking shifts as a nanny really isn't my idea of a great plot point....but it does give a seed of hope for the future... if indeed it is born healthy. Which brings us to the title of the episode.... why do we think this was entitled "Seed"?
          Well the show did start off with Rick point blank shooting that zombie child in the very first minutes of the very first episode. When they did that, I couldn't see them pulling any punches later on because killing children like that is rare on tv and I kinda couldn't believe they did it and got away with it. I know she was a zombie but that was a pretty graphic image. Not that I think they'd go that far visually with a baby, but I think the baby is fair game as far as being killed.

As to the name of the ep, "Seed". Obviously has many meaning but for me they are planting a seed of stability with the discovery of the prison. They have a chance to try to create a home and a somewhat normal life like they wanted to do at the farm.

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
          I want to do that to her anyway .
          Spoiler:
          when she was saying all her fears about the baby i was like oh please god let that happen
          lol! I'm hoping they stick with the comics in regards to her and the baby's fate.

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
          Hershel's singing daughter would have been my candidate to get the chomp... unless she develops some interesting abilities or... personality...
          I think she'll be the next to go. Especially if they kinda follow the comics in regards
          Spoiler:
          to the prisoners.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Q: Is there different standards between network and cable tv in the States?

I know for example that Deadwood was a cable show, and uses extreme profanity (c*nt etc) and nudity, which aren't usually on American tv... And Walking Dead is also cable... so does that "protect" it from the religious nutters who just want Disney only on all channels... (Unless that nasty Ellen is allowed back on, of course)...
            and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
              I think she'll be the next to go. Especially if they kinda follow the comics in regards
              Spoiler:
              to the prisoners.
              That could be very true. I definitely see at least some of them causing quite a bit of trouble for our group.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Q: Is there different standards between network and cable tv in the States?

I know for example that Deadwood was a cable show, and uses extreme profanity (c*nt etc) and nudity, which aren't usually on American tv... And Walking Dead is also cable... so does that "protect" it from the religious nutters who just want Disney only on all channels... (Unless that nasty Ellen is allowed back on, of course)...
                Deadwood aired on the premium cable network HBO. They can get away with the extreme profanities and more graphic sex/nudity because you pay extra (on top of the fee you pay for general cable) to get specifically that channel. The Walking Dead airs on a general cable channel (AMC) which most people get when they subscribe to basic cable/satellite tv packages. Neither of those channels are considered network tv which generally have stricter censorship rules. So yes there are different standards but even amongst cable channels there are different standards. I'm not quite sure what they are for general cable channels but they do tend to sensor themselves and not go as far with somethings like you'd see on Deadwood, Dexter, etc. Not that general cable channels can't push those boundaries. The general cable channel FX has/had plenty of shows that do that....Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me, The Shield, Sons of Anarchy, etc.

The show has been toned down in comparison to the comics in regard to language and violence. I just don't think The Walking Dead needs the extra profanities or the more profane ones. I mean sure in reality they'd be throwing around the f-bomb left and right, but I don't need the extra language to enjoy the show.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

Oops - I meant Dawn of the Dead.. though yes, it is a movie, not TV...

Considering a lot of zombie movies are rated R for gore/nudity/horror... it's quite incredible that The Walking Dead has been such a success on tv. I dare say that it doesn't have as high a "quota" as a typical movie regarding gore/deaths etc, but it does throw up some good episodes like Seed...

Can't say I can think of many other zombie tv adventures... there was the Big Brother based "Dead Set" from the UK a couple years ago... that's all I know of I think...
                  oh ok...no problem... yeah Duh I should have realized that is what you meant.. I know of those movies and yeah TV networks are way more strict than cable TV in and even some movies are trying to not have an R rating to allow more of an audience to participate so they either tone down the violence/gore, sex/nudity etc. or if it's a DVD straight release they don't even rate it

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                  Well the show did start off with Rick point blank shooting that zombie child in the very first minutes of the very first episode. When they did that, I couldn't see them pulling any punches later on because killing children like that is rare on tv and I kinda couldn't believe they did it and got away with it. I know she was a zombie but that was a pretty graphic image. Not that I think they'd go that far visually with a baby, but I think the baby is fair game as far as being killed.

As to the name of the ep, "Seed". Obviously has many meaning but for me they are planting a seed of stability with the discovery of the prison. They have a chance to try to create a home and a somewhat normal life like they wanted to do at the farm.
                  Yeah I remember that scene and was horrified by it :O and just like the mid season break when they had to kill Carol's daughter that was even more troubling because we knew her and it was way more traumatic. But not many shows that I know of have actually shown an infanticide type thing....well I guess BSG did do that neck snap thing So it's been alluded to and you know it's happening but not directly shown I'm not sure I would be ready for such a thing and really hope they don't go that route with the baby.
                  But it is TWD after all
                  Originally posted by jelgate
                  This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Very good episode, I also thought Hershel would be the one to get his life put at risk, will be quite interesting to see the developments of this, if he survives, cause a bite on the leg, if you cut off the blood flow, you could cut off the reaction to the infection before it makes them turn...
                    And I agree about Carl, they definately seem to have made him less annoying...
                    Nice to see we are going to be getting some new characters eg the prisoners and some others...

Great start to the season, was also nice to see fortified zombies, eg the guards...
                    Really looking forward to episode 2.

Comment

Indeed... As soon as she started singing

Comment

The singing reminded me of DW:Gridlock... a lame attempt at extracting an emotional response in the audience... though admittedly for me, the song meant nothing...

Given that they are all carriers (as Shane turned without being bit)... It's a bit odd.

I mean - you get a small bite/scratch, and after a day or so you turn into a zombie... This must have been from a transfer of blood/saliva into your system from the infected. Ok.

But, now everyone is supposedly basically infected, just they need to die before they turn... But surely over time this virus must build and strengthen and could then take over the host...?

In Hershel's case... lose of blood, open wound, little/no antibiotics... Virus' field day.
                        and lots more!

Comment

In Hershel's case... lose of blood, open wound, little/no antibiotics... Virus' field day.
                          I am holding on to hope that he will somehow make it. At least for now.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                            I am holding on to hope that he will somehow make it. At least for now.
                            Indeed.. They need his infinite shotgun from the end of season 2..

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                              Indeed.. They need his infinite shotgun from the end of season 2..
                              lol! That was funny. I couldn't help but laugh when I rewatched that episode before the new season.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

But seriously.. this was a huge improvement over the last season of "Arguing over whose turn it is to do the washing up while the occasional zombie shuffles by" A lot more action and less in fighting.. And they finally gave Carl a gun. In the last episode of season 2 he went missing for about 10 seconds and they were desperate to find him because "he will need his mother" I was almost shouting at the screen "he doesn't need his mother! He needs a gun! Your world is full of zombies, anyone who can't defend themselves is lunch! Give the kid a gun!!

He's much less annoying now he's not so attached to his mother.. And with fewer characters to wrap in cotton wool all the time they can finally get on with fighting zombies and creating a safe place to live..

Comment

Working...
                                X