No announcement yet.

SG-1 Specific Mistakes and Inconsistencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Ra looked more like an Asgard, O'Neil only had one "L", Abydos was in a different galaxy, the Stargate was in a different mountain, and there were no Jaffa..

They changed the name of Daniel's wife too..

You can't call the changes made between the movie and the series mistakes because they were designed for different purposes. Some things were changed to make Stargate work as a series, having everything set within one galaxy, for example. Some things were changed to put a little distance between the movie and the series. The concept of the Symbiote is an obvious one.

Comment

I am told they changed her name because of how Michael Shanks pronounced her name and that is why it was changed!
      sigpic
      Fate makes our relatives; choice makes our friends-quote I found in my dad's senior year of high school under his name

"Give me a pen and I'll write the words"
      http://avp60685.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by avp60685 View Post
        In the episode "Crystal Skull", Daniel is invisible and General Hammond is using the red Presidential phone to talk to his granddaughter, shouldn't he be using a different phone to make personal phone calls on? Just thought I would mention it!
        Funny you mention that, I recently noticed the red phone is often the only phone on his desk and used for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Insolent Slave View Post
          Funny you mention that, I recently noticed the red phone is often the only phone on his desk and used for everything.
          You would think he would have more than one phone but he doesn't!
          sigpic
          Fate makes our relatives; choice makes our friends-quote I found in my dad's senior year of high school under his name

"Give me a pen and I'll write the words"
          http://avp60685.blogspot.com/

Comment

I realize this thread is old but here goes. I just rewatched the pilot and the gate never shut down. If they did fix that in a later cut then that still leaves another issue. How did they dial back out? The earth gate has no DHD and the Gould don't have the Lantean tech to dial without a DHD.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasori563 View Post
              I realize this thread is old but here goes. I just rewatched the pilot and the gate never shut down. If they did fix that in a later cut then that still leaves another issue. How did they dial back out? The earth gate has no DHD and the Gould don't have the Lantean tech to dial without a DHD.
              It did shut down, it just shut down and was reactivated offscreen and the shots of it no longer being active occur during an action heavy scene, so people seem to miss that detail. Watch it again and keep your eye on the gate after Apophis comes through and then while the Jaffa exchange fire with the airman guarding the gate.

Here are screengrabs from the original, clearly showing that the gate was no longer active:

https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di...394&fullsize=1

https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di...400&fullsize=1

https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di...404&fullsize=1

https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di...412&fullsize=1

What happens next is that the camera briefly cuts to the hallway of more soldiers rushing to the gateroom:

https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di...433&fullsize=1

When they cut back the gateroom, the Stargate is active again:

https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di...440&fullsize=1

Some people like to speculate that Apophis had a remote dialing device, but really his guards could have manually dialed out. The cut to the hallway is short, but there's no reason to presume that it happens in real time.
              Last edited by Xaeden; 03 August 2020, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I noticed also something. We know that we can travel through the wormhole in one direction. And how is it possible that signal can go travel in both sides? (Hammond is sometimes talking with SG1 through malp) maybe it was explained and I just forgot on it.
                And second thing- I don't understand how is this possible- In Shades of grey- Jack opens gate from a different planet to Earth and at the base put his hand to the open wormhole, but from Earth's side and then he just moved the hand back to him.
                I think the time is ca. 37:15- 37:20
                https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vhojg

Comment

Matter cannot safely pass through a wormhole as it's ripped apart in transit. To get around this, the Stargate has a buffer that converts matter to energy before transmitting that energy to the other Stargate's buffer for re-materialization. As radio waves and other forms of energy can already safely pass through a wormhole, it seems that they're allowed to bypass the Stargate's buffer system altogether. Hence why the energy from a black hole can come through an outgoing wormhole. The Stargate is not actively transmitting that energy. Rather, that energy is directly passing through the wormhole without first being processed by the Stargate.

That implies that the Stargate's technological limitations are the reason why matter can only travel one way. One of the following is likely true: The Ancients couldn't figure out how to give an outgoing Stargate the capacity to both receive and transmit data patterns at the same time, they purposely prevented it from doing so for the some reason that it was designed to erase any data patterns stored in a buffer when a wormhole was next established ("The Stargate has various safety protocols designed to prevent different energy signatures mixing together." - 48 Hours), or they prevented it from doing so for security reasons (they didn't want hostiles coming through every time they dialed out).

In Jack's case, I suspect the outgoing wormhole de-materalized his hand and then re-materialized it for him when he pulled it out but would have held on to his data pattern in its buffer (rather than transmitting it) had Jack stepped through completely. His pattern thus would have been held there like Teal'c's was in "48 Hours" until a new wormhole was established. At which point it would have been erased. The only alternative was that his hand bypassed the Stargate and entered the wormhole directly, but we know from dialogue that matter cannot survive in a wormhole, so if that were true, he would have lost his hand. I would assume the Ancients knew that there was a high likelihood that someone would brush up against or fall partway through a wormhole they had just fully come through, so they made sure incoming wormholes would still de-materialize matter even if they couldn't/wouldn't also let the gate transmit that data.
                  Last edited by Xaeden; 21 August 2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                    Matter cannot safely pass through a wormhole as it's ripped apart in transit. To get around this, the Stargate has a buffer that converts matter to energy before transmitting that energy to the other Stargate's buffer for re-materialization. As radio waves and other forms of energy can already safely pass through a wormhole, it seems that they're allowed to bypass the Stargate's buffer system altogether. Hence why the energy from a black hole can come through an outgoing wormhole. The Stargate is not actively transmitting that energy. Rather, that energy is directly passing through the wormhole without first being processed by the Stargate.

That implies that the Stargate's technological limitations are the reason why matter can only travel one way. One of the following is likely true: The Ancients couldn't figure out how to give an outgoing Stargate the capacity to both receive and transmit data patterns at the same time, they purposely prevented from it from doing so for the some reason that it was designed to erase any data patterns stored in a buffer when a wormhole was next established ("The Stargate has various safety protocols designed to prevent different energy signatures mixing together." - 48 Hours), or they prevented it from doing so for security reasons (they didn't want hostiles coming through every time they dialed out).

In Jack's case, I suspect the outgoing wormhole de-materalized his hand and then re-materialized it for him when he pulled it out but would have held on to his data pattern in its buffer (rather than transmitting it) had Jack stepped through completely. His pattern thus would have been held there like Teal'c's was in "48 Hours" until a new wormhole was established. At which point it would have been erased. The only alternative was that his hand bypassed the Stargate and entered the wormhole directly, but we know from dialogue that matter cannot survive in a wormhole, so if that were true, he would have lost his hand. I would assume the Ancients knew that there was a high likelihood that someone would brush up against or fall partway through a wormhole they had just fully come through, so they made sure incoming wormholes would still de-materialize matter even if they couldn't/wouldn't also let the gate transmit that data.
                    Thank you very much for your great answer

Comment

The most gaping inconsistence (plot hole) for me is as follows: Pilot Episode "Children of The Gods", Apophis with his minions invades the dormant Stargate Command, kidnaps the female sergeant and retreats through the gate, but there are some Jaffas killed in the skirmish. Those dead Jaffas are being un-armored, undressed, their dead bodies examined, the belly pouches noticed and noted. They are considered aliens just because of the belly pouches. The dead bodies are put to the morgue. So what happened with their infant Goaulds? Where are they? We only are made aware about what the belly pouches are for much later, during the team's escape from Chulak town, when Teal'c demonstrates his infant Goauld. So what happened to the infant Goaulds of the Jaffas killed in the initial incident? Why are Tau'ri scientists not aware of them until Teal'c's revealtion?

Comment

We, the audience, were made aware that Jaffa pouches housed Goa'uld symbiotes when Aphophis' queen emerged from a Jaffa priestesses pouch to inspect the captured air force woman's body. The writers wanted to save the reveal of what was inside the pouches for that moment as it made the scene more dramatic. They justified it by saying that the dead Jaffa in the SGC hadn't yet been autopsied:

WARNER: Best we can tell, these slits are actually a pouch similar to that found in a marsupial.

SAMUELS: Like a kangaroo.

WARNER: (as O'Neill leans closer) We haven't done an autopsy yet.
                        If the symbiote was too young to survive outside a Jaffa's pouch on its own or died from the weapons fire/the stress of trying to heal the Jaffa, it wouldn't have emerged on its own and air force doctors reasonably wouldn't have discovered it until after O'Neill and his team went through the gate.

Comment

Working...
                        X