SG-1 Specific Mistakes and Inconsistencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 Specific Mistakes and Inconsistencies

I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in a thread like this but I'm going to try posting it anyway and see what happens.

While I thoroughly enjoy all things Stargate, there are certainly a lot of mistakes and inconsistencies in among the 3 shows. While I don't intend on "putting down" Stargate in these posts I do think it's fun sometimes to take a second look at movies or shows after you've seen them before and look for things that don't quite make sense or fit. What's also fun about it is when you see these things, perhaps certain people interpret them differently and it's nice to bounce them off of others and see what they think or see if they can come up with a theory as to "why that happened that way".

Just tonight I started re-watching SG-1. (I know I know, I should have done it with Gateworld and wish I did. I will be watching Universe with the Gateworld community though!) Specifically, Children of the Gods tonight and noticed quite a few things that are inconsistent from the rest of the show. The reasoning behind them may be evident and it may not (budget, writing, time constraints, streamlining production, etc.) but it's still fun to point them out and talk about them. Could be anything, conflicting information from dialogue, continuity errors, plot holes, you name it you list it!

I'll start off by posting some things I noticed during Children of the Gods. I probably left a few out because I didn't start taking note of them until half way through the episode.

Obvious spoilers to anyone who hasn't seen certain episodes from here on in.

S01E01 Children of the Gods

1. According to this episode, the sign that the gate is becoming active is that the whole facility shakes violently with mugs and various items on tables moving around. Later on the facility gets more established and they install various things to alert people of what's going on. But after those things are installed (ie. the alarm) the only sign the gate is active is when the alarm goes off. The facility doesn't shake anymore. I get why it caused the shaking for introduction purposes but it bugs me that that stops happening in the show. As the show goes on I understand they don't want to spend a lot of time on repetitive and becoming more insignificant things as they have a lot of show to do in a small amount of time. But that doesn't change the fact that it still bugs me

2. As we know from later on in the show, wormhole travel through a gate goes one way and one way only. However in this episode Apophis, Teal'c and the rest of his goons enter the SGC through the gate and while it's still active, grab Sgt. Weterings and walk back through the puddle.

3. During the firefight in that same scene, the Jaffa armor seems to be nearly impenetrable by the weapons being used against them. In later episodes, Jaffa are easily taken down with weapons in the field from various SG teams including the end of the episode when they are trying to escape with the refugees through the gate.
    A possible argument could include different weapons and ammo for different purposes, ie. field vs. gate room protection when not expecting anything.
    As well, it could come down to time constraints and moving the plot forward in a timely manner.

4. As I'm just going episode to episode, there might be something to explain this one later on. When they are observing the body of the Jaffa killed in the gate room incursion at the beginning of the episode he has the First Prime of Apophis on his forehead.

5. Traveling through the gate is mentioned as being cold, very cold. When the SG teams travel through the gate they are covered in frost both on their equipment and their faces. Now I can't recall specifically but isn't this touched on in a later episode? Something Sam says and maybe does to avoid being so cold and frosty?

6. The buttons on the DHD we see used by Daniel and Apophis are touch activated in the pilot, rather than buttons that actually get pushed down as we see later on in the show.

7. When Teal'c helps Sam, Jack and Daniel escape the large cell holding the group in which some will be "chosen" O'Neill blasts a hole through the wall with a staff weapon for them all to escape. He only shoots twice yet this huge hole appears. Never again do we see a staff weapon with such power.

8. When the SG-1 and SG-2 teams head out to find Sha're and run into the group of inhabitants on the new planet Daniel speaks with them and says "it's a derivation of Arabic". My Arabic isn't great but as far as I know we don't hear Teal'c speak any sort of Arabic type language and he's supposedly from Chulak, which we later find out is the planet they are on. Which brings me to the next point...

9. Those same people bring SG-1 to Chulak, Chulak being the town/city. According to Stargate Wiki, Chulak is both the name of a city and the name of the planet. Is this ever really explained in the show? Teal'c often says his home is on Chulak rather than in Chulak the city. I suppose that's proof enough thinking about it now.

10. During the glider fight at the end of the episode, Teacl'c and O'Neill are shooting at the glider, the glider is shooting at them, people are screaming everywhere and a lot of noise is being made. At some point we see a shot of Apophis and other Goa'uld at the Stargate. Kowalski shoots down the glider and a couple of seconds later it's crashing down virtually right beside the Stargate with Apophis and his friends looking at it. So they were at the gate with Jaffa soldiers and had no indication that there was even a remote sign of trouble or anything going on? Come on...

11. In this episode, the IDC codes are explained to open the iris. The hints of their codes being "locked out" means there is some kind of automated system in place. When Sam punches in the code the iris automatically opens because of it. In every other instance I can think of the iris is opened manually by someone at a computer pushing a button.

Last but not least, what the heck is with the rock throwing ape man's awful wig? The fact that you can see his "forehead skin covering" so easily and that it doesn't come close to matching his skin color is so distracting!

He is a boss though, going up against an army of Jaffa with nothing but rocks to chuck at them!

sigpic
    Originally posted by dacooker
    The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Some of the points you mention are in fact explained in the show. Others have been fixed in the renewed edition of CotG and a few have been retconned.

As for the ape guy; he's an alien, maybe that kind of hair/forehead is normal for his species
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Where do you get the different version of Children of the Gods? Is it another DVD release of the season or of the specific episode?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
        I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in a thread like this but I'm going to try posting it anyway and see what happens.

While I thoroughly enjoy all things Stargate, there are certainly a lot of mistakes and inconsistencies in among the 3 shows. While I don't intend on "putting down" Stargate in these posts I do think it's fun sometimes to take a second look at movies or shows after you've seen them before and look for things that don't quite make sense or fit. What's also fun about it is when you see these things, perhaps certain people interpret them differently and it's nice to bounce them off of others and see what they think or see if they can come up with a theory as to "why that happened that way".

Just tonight I started re-watching SG-1. (I know I know, I should have done it with Gateworld and wish I did. I will be watching Universe with the Gateworld community though!) Specifically, Children of the Gods tonight and noticed quite a few things that are inconsistent from the rest of the show. The reasoning behind them may be evident and it may not (budget, writing, time constraints, streamlining production, etc.) but it's still fun to point them out and talk about them. Could be anything, conflicting information from dialogue, continuity errors, plot holes, you name it you list it!

I'll start off by posting some things I noticed during Children of the Gods. I probably left a few out because I didn't start taking note of them until half way through the episode.

Obvious spoilers to anyone who hasn't seen certain episodes from here on in.

S01E01 Children of the Gods

1. According to this episode, the sign that the gate is becoming active is that the whole facility shakes violently with mugs and various items on tables moving around. Later on the facility gets more established and they install various things to alert people of what's going on. But after those things are installed (ie. the alarm) the only sign the gate is active is when the alarm goes off. The facility doesn't shake anymore. I get why it caused the shaking for introduction purposes but it bugs me that that stops happening in the show. As the show goes on I understand they don't want to spend a lot of time on repetitive and becoming more insignificant things as they have a lot of show to do in a small amount of time. But that doesn't change the fact that it still bugs me
        In "Solitudes" they mention that they installed shock absorbers that negate the shaking effects.

2. As we know from later on in the show, wormhole travel through a gate goes one way and one way only. However in this episode Apophis, Teal'c and the rest of his goons enter the SGC through the gate and while it's still active, grab Sgt. Weterings and walk back through the puddle.
        The gate actually shuts down and is later opened again.

3. During the firefight in that same scene, the Jaffa armor seems to be nearly impenetrable by the weapons being used against them. In later episodes, Jaffa are easily taken down with weapons in the field from various SG teams including the end of the episode when they are trying to escape with the refugees through the gate.
        A possible argument could include different weapons and ammo for different purposes, ie. field vs. gate room protection when not expecting anything.
        As well, it could come down to time constraints and moving the plot forward in a timely manner.
        I would say they used more advanced weapons and armor piercing bullets.

4. As I'm just going episode to episode, there might be something to explain this one later on. When they are observing the body of the Jaffa killed in the gate room incursion at the beginning of the episode he has the First Prime of Apophis on his forehead.
        It appears that early on, all of the personal Jaffa guard had the gold but it was later removed so only First Primes did.

5. Traveling through the gate is mentioned as being cold, very cold. When the SG teams travel through the gate they are covered in frost both on their equipment and their faces. Now I can't recall specifically but isn't this touched on in a later episode? Something Sam says and maybe does to avoid being so cold and frosty?
        That had to do with the calculations done to dial other planets. It is seen again in "Red Sky".

6. The buttons on the DHD we see used by Daniel and Apophis are touch activated in the pilot, rather than buttons that actually get pushed down as we see later on in the show.
        Aesthetic changes?

7. When Teal'c helps Sam, Jack and Daniel escape the large cell holding the group in which some will be "chosen" O'Neill blasts a hole through the wall with a staff weapon for them all to escape. He only shoots twice yet this huge hole appears. Never again do we see a staff weapon with such power.
        More changes to make the weapons less powerful, I would guess.

8. When the SG-1 and SG-2 teams head out to find Sha're and run into the group of inhabitants on the new planet Daniel speaks with them and says "it's a derivation of Arabic". My Arabic isn't great but as far as I know we don't hear Teal'c speak any sort of Arabic type language and he's supposedly from Chulak, which we later find out is the planet they are on. Which brings me to the next point...
        I would say its probably the root of arabic and changed over the last 5000 years since the Goa'uld left Earth.

9. Those same people bring SG-1 to Chulak, Chulak being the town/city. According to Stargate Wiki, Chulak is both the name of a city and the name of the planet. Is this ever really explained in the show? Teal'c often says his home is on Chulak rather than in Chulak the city. I suppose that's proof enough thinking about it now.
        Chulak (the city) may be the only city on the planet and thus used for both.

10. During the glider fight at the end of the episode, Teacl'c and O'Neill are shooting at the glider, the glider is shooting at them, people are screaming everywhere and a lot of noise is being made. At some point we see a shot of Apophis and other Goa'uld at the Stargate. Kowalski shoots down the glider and a couple of seconds later it's crashing down virtually right beside the Stargate with Apophis and his friends looking at it. So they were at the gate with Jaffa soldiers and had no indication that there was even a remote sign of trouble or anything going on? Come on...
        Maybe they did but were leaving

11. In this episode, the IDC codes are explained to open the iris. The hints of their codes being "locked out" means there is some kind of automated system in place. When Sam punches in the code the iris automatically opens because of it. In every other instance I can think of the iris is opened manually by someone at a computer pushing a button.
        Presuambly if they did use an automated system in the pilot would have been removed.

Last but not least, what the heck is with the rock throwing ape man's awful wig? The fact that you can see his "forehead skin covering" so easily and that it doesn't come close to matching his skin color is so distracting!

He is a boss though, going up against an army of Jaffa with nothing but rocks to chuck at them!
        Most people don't pause the show and zoom in, so.....

Comment

It's the Final Cut of the pilot, which was released in 2009.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1483803/
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Though it's fun to bring to light some of the inconsistencies, it's more fun to point out editing blunders. such as how many times did Adrian Conrad's eyes not glow when they should have?
            clocks in the background, several times when stargate symbols were being entered, the symbols for abydos were entered. I can't recall the exact episode, but there was a scene where carter was collecting data on a blank tablet. These are some of the things I enjoy noticing.
            An infinite universe contains an equally infinite amount of knowledge.

Comment

The gate actually shuts down and is later opened again.
              In the aired pilot it does not, I was looking for it.

I would say they used more advanced weapons and armor piercing bullets.
              Doesn't account for a lot of inconsistencies. (Similar situation with the Wraith in Atlantis)

More changes to make the weapons less powerful, I would guess.
              If you mean the showrunners changes, case can be argued. If you mean the Goa'uld characters in show, doesn't make sense.

I would say its probably the root of arabic and changed over the last 5000 years since the Goa'uld left Earth.
              Doesn't really address the point.

Maybe they did but were leaving
              When the show cuts to them in front of the gate while the fight is still going on, there's no sign of it, things are quiet.

Most people don't pause the show and zoom in, so.....
              Neither did I, it was very noticeable while watching.

[quote]Though it's fun to bring to light some of the inconsistencies, it's more fun to point out editing blunders. such as how many times did Adrian Conrad's eyes not glow when they should have?
              clocks in the background, several times when stargate symbols were being entered, the symbols for abydos were entered. I can't recall the exact episode, but there was a scene where carter was collecting data on a blank tablet. These are some of the things I enjoy noticing. [/quote[

Absolutely! Continuity errors are the most fun to find.
              sigpic

Comment

in the pilot the gate does shut down. Apophis stands in front of the gate while it is closed, and is still there when it is open again. No disintegration when the kwoosh happens. In season 8, the shroud, there is a scene where O'neill's uniform has one star, and another scene where it has two.

Comment

One of the most frustrating elements in SG1 was the fact that so many planets visited consisted of only a village with a relative handful of people, which doesn't appear very realistic. I would have thought that computer graphics could have made up for the lack of casts with extras. In the case of Season 3 "Past and Present" (which I didn't see earlier), SG1 comes to Vyus and encounters a whole planet supposedly affected by the vorlix a year earlier. Yet Vyus doesn't even have a village of people. In fact we only meet 3 or 4 of the entire population affected by the vorlix one year earlier!

And if the chemical had caused the entire planet's adults to regress in age, why doesn't the antidote restore them to their original ages?

At some point in the episode one of the characters comments that the winter was approaching, suggesting they had no experience (without the elders) of dealing with the winter - but this makes no sense if they had lived for at least 1 year since the vorlix.

Furthermore, why didn't Sam or someone else comment that if the vorlix had occured thanks to Linea a year earlier, how could it have affected the fertility to the extent there were no children at all?!

Comment

And then there are the old favorites: how could so many aliens know how to read, write and speak perfect idiomatic English?? In this episode scientists Sam and Daniel are not the least surprised that Linea's diary is in perfectly modern human American English.......
                    The other favorite relating to romance between people of different planets without the slightest concern for bacterial or other genetic incompatibility.
                    How could aliens come through the stargate to SGC without wearing a Hasmat suit to be decontaminated and not merely undergoing a checkup? Same thing for the SG teams. They should have logically been required to at least pass through a hasmat decontamination chamber attached to the stargate.

Comment

Also something to think about, all the planets under the protected planets treaty had never progressed beyond either agrarian or renaissance level of technology.

Comment

The one that bugs me is in the episode 'Point of View'.

CARTER:Which we could download to a removeable hard drive. But that still won't do it. Remember, in order to dial the Asgard home world, they had to provide us with a generator that transferred extra energy to the Gate's capacitors. I can't get it to work again. Apparently, it was designed to work only once.

The generator was built by Jack in 'The Fifth Race' when he had the knowledge of the Ancients downloaded into his brain, not provided by the Asgard! It enabled him to dial the eighth chevron to get him to the Asgard's galaxy and get help. Siler commented that after Jack left the generator he'd hooked up to the gate's power grid was dead.

Comment

That is a good one,

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                            In the aired pilot it does not, I was looking for it.

Doesn't account for a lot of inconsistencies. (Similar situation with the Wraith in Atlantis)

If you mean the showrunners changes, case can be argued. If you mean the Goa'uld characters in show, doesn't make sense.

Doesn't really address the point.

When the show cuts to them in front of the gate while the fight is still going on, there's no sign of it, things are quiet.

Neither did I, it was very noticeable while watching.

Though it's fun to bring to light some of the inconsistencies, it's more fun to point out editing blunders. such as how many times did Adrian Conrad's eyes not glow when they should have?
                            clocks in the background, several times when stargate symbols were being entered, the symbols for abydos were entered. I can't recall the exact episode, but there was a scene where carter was collecting data on a blank tablet. These are some of the things I enjoy noticing.
                            Absolutely! Continuity errors are the most fun to find.
                            The easier killing of the Wraith was explained, their ability to heal is directly porportional to how recently they fed and with less food they would eat less often, especially the drones so therefore would die easier.

Comment

7. The weapon in the original 1994 movie was far more powerful than the weapon later. I guess the change in how powerful the staff was was done later.

Continuity errors are awesome.
                              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                              X