Daily Writing Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Writing Goals

Along the lines of the Fanfic Writer's Sprinting Station, this is not a place for competition. This is a place to post your daily writing goals and be cheered on by your fellow writers. We all have different schedules, different life situations, and different goals.

Goals can be a word count, X amount of hours of research for a new idea, editing X number of pages, creating a character profile or plotting a new story or anything else writing related you can think of. It could be taking a class or reading a book on the craft of writing. It could be some combination of these things.

My goal this week is to get to 250 words per day. The goal encompasses blogs, FF and OF. I also want to read five pages per day of Mugging the Muse by Holly Lisle.
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

This is a great idea, WW... and one that is easier for me to do. Sprinting just doesn't fit in well with my RL when my first moment of free time is about 10pm-ish central time which is way to late for sprinting with people.

I usually have a paragraph goal of three paragraphs a day... a word count per day goal sounds like a great goal to set. Will have to see what the average three paragraphs are and then set a per day goal that I can increase over time. Three paragraphs doesn't sound like a lot, but my thought was that if I wrote three paragraphs, it would put me on a roll and that more than 3 would end up being produced.
    sigpic

Comment

I like this idea too ... the sprint doesn't work for me either, mostly because I'm sleeping when you guys are awake and vise versa for the times when I could actually be writing (i.e. minus three little distractions ). Aside from when I was doing Camp NaNo I've never set word count goals for myself - I think for me it'll be chapter goals or something like that. It's after midnight here so I can set my goal for today (even though I do actually have to sleep first lol) ... I have a new Doctor Who story planned out a little and I'd really like to get it started - I'd be happy if I had the first chapter done
      sigpic

Comment

I simply try to write a bit each day, with a minimum of 500 words for as long as I'm working on a fic. The goal doesn't apply when I'm in between projects since I usually spend that time on research and planning.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Personally I want to try to write 1000 words to a chapter, since my chapters are around 5000 or more words each, If I can write 1000 words to a chapter over five chapters, that's 5000 words, but only 1000 per chapter worked on. {be it through editing or whatnot} my daily goal of writing however is exactly 2500 words per day.

Here is hoping I can keep my writing goal!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I also try to write about a 1000 words a chapter. Anything shorter than that, I don't like to post.
            sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Chapter length varies per fic for me; for my current one I try to keep 'em between 4,000 and 4,500 words. For previous ones I've had a maximum of 4, 5, 6 or even 8K. More often than not my daily goal of 500 words therefore turns into a scene if not an entire chapter (otherwise it would take me forever and 500 words just isn't that much).
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

So, daily writing goals. How about 500 - 1000 words a day on a normal day?

I'll be having surgery on Thursday and may not feel like writing for a few days. Then again, I may feel just fine with writing. Let's see how it goes.

Comment

Got tons of writing done today at the clinic. I probably got 600+ words written, thanks to bringing my handy-dandy notebook and pen. They were blog entries, but that's okay--I haven't blogged much in the past two months, so writing 2-3 entries, plus notes, was awesome.

I read my five pages (which is an approximation, as it's on Kindle) and even did the homework. Today was not a normal day. Right now, it's 8:45 and the antibiotics are making me sleepy. Gonna go get ready for bed.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                  Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

306 words for a blog today. No pages read yet in the craft book, but I am doing a chat ATM on Savvy Authors about dialogue.
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't really have a numerical goal as such, I just try to write something, no matter how long or small, every day. Though I do usually manage to get at least a paragraph or two each day
                      My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                        I don't really have a numerical goal as such, I just try to write something, no matter how long or small, every day. Though I do usually manage to get at least a paragraph or two each day
                        That's still a goal!

Did just about 250 words between adding & editing in ITB yesterday.
                        sigpic

Comment

Daily writing goal of at least 1K words to a chapter so far as been reached.... for one chapter, 90% of which is currently notes of what is to occur in each scene

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Is anyone planning on doing Nanowrimo this year? I think you have to average, what, 1,600 words a day for that?
                            My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                              Is anyone planning on doing Nanowrimo this year? I think you have to average, what, 1,600 words a day for that?
                              Indeed I am planning for Nano this year, and thje daily goal for that is 1,667 words per day to stay on par. Personally though my own goal per day is 2500 to 5000 per day. Though I know for a fact that if I work on Project One enough, which is my goal, I can finish the series

So yes, I have a big goal to meet

Comment

Working...
                              X