No announcement yet.

Left over Universe style gates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10,000 years in FTL would span a vast distance, so the power requirements to gate their would not have been as great. Remember several billion light years is far. Destiny does stop to recharge, gather data from seed ships, so it could be plausible that some ancients used one of their many outposts, with a ZPM, and who knows what other technologies or races to help them achieve this goal. We used the Icarus planet because of the power necessary to span that distance, which is well over 586569600000000000 miles, which is just a rough approximation. Again, just a thought or opinion. Doesn't make it so.
    An infinite universe contains an equally infinite amount of knowledge.

Comment

I wonder if a destiny gate in pegasus could dial destiny without using a whole planet to dial out.

Comment

It's entirely possible that there's at least one or two Destiny-era gates in each galaxy, although the Ancients inhabited each respective galaxy for millions of years so it seems inevitable that even the most remote gates would be replaced over time.

I think if there is ever any kind of future Stargate production, that it should be retconned to reflect that Destiny-era gates are the oldest, and thus perhaps a couple are still strewn about the Milky Way galaxy. Or at least retcon any dialogue that might be relevant to acknowledge that fact. It would create a lot of cohesion between the three series.

Originally posted by chrishellmax View Post
        I wonder if a destiny gate in pegasus could dial destiny without using a whole planet to dial out.
        Why would it matter where the gate was? It's been established that the Destiny gates, being the oldest, are also the most inferior in design (i.e. it only takes one blast from a Berserker Drone's energy weapon to blow a chunk out of a Destiny-era gate, but it takes a Mk. IX Naquadah-enhanced nuclear bomb to destroy a Milky Way-era gate), the gates themselves are less efficient which is why their range is limited. Simply planting one in the Pegasus galaxy wouldn't fix that problem, it's a design flaw.

Comment

True, plus as we have seen the destiny like gates don't have the range others do

Comment

If I'm honest I think the second gate in antarctica would have been great as a destiny gate had they thought of it back then and it would have added even more mystery to the show. Perhaps we could have a 3rd gate turn up on earth lol.

Comment

Nope.. cause then you would have to have yet another reason that it has not yet interfered with our dialing.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                Good idea.
                Plot hole in Ark of Truth: if Rush was right in SGU about the Destiny gates being the first ones(which I presume is right), then how come that in Ark of Truth, that Ancient guy who invented the Stargate had the blueprints of a Milky Way one?
                The same reason concept cars are so cool and the real ones just look like last year's model, but a bit shinier.. What you can design and what you're capable of building are often two very different things..

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                  The same reason concept cars are so cool and the real ones just look like last year's model, but a bit shinier.. What you can design and what you're capable of building are often two very different things..
                  Well not entirely.

However, yes it's likely that the ancients had a design for a Milky Way gate but it proved very difficult to make, or various aspects of it proved not feasible. e.g. the kind of distances achieved by the milkyway or the kind of resistance the MW gate has or whatever.

Comment

I know it's not a perfect example..

Comment

Plotholes. Plothole everywhere.

Ok, some Ancient dude came up with the idea of linking all of the worlds for whatever reason (and terraform them as needed) with gates. During a time when even the Asgard were probably not around.

These first gates, the SGU gates were weak and less durable as we seen you can actually damage a gate. But the Ancients sent multiple ships to seed the universe with gates(really, sending one ship in a single direction is dumb) Later on, the Ancients systemically replaced the old gates with the new gates of SG- inside the Milky Way and nearby galaxies.

The Ancients in Atlantis developed a newer Gate for Pegasus but never bothered replacing all of the other gates in they have.

I think also, the Ancients themselves have long forgotten about much older gates in other galaxies.
                      Hi There!

Comment

I read on mallozzis blog that the ancients were not planing to hang around long when they eventually dialled Destiny so it would make sense perhaps that the gates were budget gates - a design that was quick and easy for the seed ships to produce and then move on.

Destiny was afterall chasing up looking for something so the seed ships would not want to be hanging around for long with all the pretty features of the MW gates, just something basic that does the job and that destiny can communicate with when needed via subspace.

I often wonder though what the MW gates would make available to Destiny if it could communicate with them directly. Surely the MW gates being the more advanced model, are collecting a substantial amount of data that could also be communicated via subspace?

Comment

Given the massive possible number of stargates, there could be hundreds of model 1 gates in the Milky Way, integrated with the system, and SG-1 might never encounter a single one.

Comment

Or they could simply not exist any longer. These aren't the nigh indestructible gates that we're used so there's no reason to think that time wouldn't wear them into nothing like all created things that aren't fictional. The Stargates that appeared in SGU are probably relatively new, having been planted in the last few thousand years (we know they are at least 2000 years old since the alternate crew gated that far back in time). However, for the Stargates planted hundreds of thousands of years ago or more, there's a good chance (in my opinion) that planetary environments have long since wiped them away. Hence, there should be none left in the Milky Way, Pegasus, or any nearby galaxy. Only those within a small (relatively speaking considering the vast distance that it has traveled) window ahead of and behind the Destiny should still be workable.

Comment

The whole Berzerker drone thing notwithstanding, the Model I gates can't be that weak. Otherwise, the one on Destiny would've been rendered nonfunctional due to simple atrophy, or at the very least exploded in spectacular fashion when they gated to it from the Icarus planet, and definitely when they tried to gate back to Earth.

Their problems seem to mainly stem from the fact that the planetary gates don't have DHDs, and therefore don't have enough power to dial as far as the Model II/III gates. If they did exist in the Milky Way, they'd obviously have DHDs, which seem to be much more difficult to construct than a stargate, so the seed ships didn't bother with them.

Comment

Maybe they didn't make the DHDs till later on?

Comment

Working...
                                X