Left over Universe style gates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left over Universe style gates.

From what I remember from the pilot Destiny and the seed ships travelled both through the Milky Way and Pegasus before going out into the rest of the universe, since it is established the Gates in universe are the oldest style and the ones in Pegasus are the most advanced it would appear the Ancients at some point did a mass upgrade of the gate system in both the milkyway and Pegasus however in that time most likely a few of those planets would be uninhabitable and the ancients probably would not have wasted time replacing those gates so do any of you guys think there might be some of the universe gates in both galaxies?
    sigpic

I have thought about that before. I think that would actually be a neat idea for a crossover in a future show or even in SGU if it is ever revived.

Comment

Good idea.
      Plot hole in Ark of Truth: if Rush was right in SGU about the Destiny gates being the first ones(which I presume is right), then how come that in Ark of Truth, that Ancient guy who invented the Stargate had the blueprints of a Milky Way one?
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
        Good idea.
        Plot hole in Ark of Truth: if Rush was right in SGU about the Destiny gates being the first ones(which I presume is right), then how come that in Ark of Truth, that Ancient guy who invented the Stargate had the blueprints of a Milky Way one?
        Because Ark of Truth was filmed before SGU was created so the "original" gates hadn't been designed yet.

sigpic

Comment

I don't think any universe style gates will be found in any other galaxies or our own for that matter. As I have proposed in a previous thread I think the milky way gates were the first gates to be designed but the universe gates were built specifically for the Destiny mission. You can see that the Destiny style gates can be destroyed easily by ship weapon fire were as a milky way gate can survive a meteor impact. I think the destiny gates are specifically designed so they could be built easily by the seed ships from the materials they found. What do you guys think?

Comment

I don't agree that Universe gates predate the Milky Way ones. I think more likely they were both around at the same time, the difference being that universe ones are budget gates and the milky way ones are of a high quality. Also, it's not like they can use milky way gates on destiny, destinies gates needed to be custom designed in order to function across multiple galaxies and be accessible from a moving ship.
            I suppose it's quite possible that when the ancients arrived in the Milky Way they built destiny and the gates and sent it on it's way, the knowledge gained from building/designing the destiny gates helped the ancients to design the improved milky way gates.
            Btw. If Destiny did indeed travel through the Pegasus Galaxy, it would have only left a few gates in a straight line. Pegasus is only a tiny dwarf galaxy, there were probably not that many Destiny gates seeded as the Destiny travels more or less in a straight lines alone with the seed ships. So when the Ancients arrived in Pegasus they'd have simply decommissioned the old style destiny gates and replaced them.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
              Good idea.
              I look at it this way, The gate drawn was a concept of how he envisioned the gates to be, but look at most designs of most things from vehicles to even phones the concept vs actual production is usually vastly different which I believe happened with the gate system.

Notice how the whole gate spins with the universe, then the milkway gates the centre spins, then atlantis the chevrons do an animated sort of spin to lock.

What I think happened was once the Alterans set up shop in the Milky way they started using ships eventually the first style gates came into use, probably not as common due to their limited range then eventually they discovered the space god signal then launched the seed ships and destiny. Eventually they upgraded to the milky way and so on.

With the upgrades and most likely update in the gates firmware probably made any remaining old gates redundant and unable to connect, similar to how the Pegasus gates prioritise themselves over the milky way ones.
              sigpic

Comment

True, but there still might be some of the originals laying around somewhere.

Comment

The one thing that still confuses me about the timeline with all this is that the ancients left the milky way somewhere between 5 and 10 million years ago, and destiny was launched hundreds of thousands of years. IF that is the case, then perhaps the ancients didn't leave the milky way when we thought. perhaps as with all things ancient, we have seen many remarkable upgrades with ancient technology including their ships.
                  An infinite universe contains an equally infinite amount of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.chrismckay View Post
                    The one thing that still confuses me about the timeline with all this is that the ancients left the milky way somewhere between 5 and 10 million years ago, and destiny was launched hundreds of thousands of years. IF that is the case, then perhaps the ancients didn't leave the milky way when we thought. perhaps as with all things ancient, we have seen many remarkable upgrades with ancient technology including their ships.
                    Destiny was launched Millions of years ago, not thousands.

Comment

I've thought about this as well. In "Air" we can see Destiny's path, and that is also once upon visited the Pegasus. I think it would make for a great, interesting crossover for Atlantis to find some left over Destiny gates, or the SGC to find some in the Milky Way.

Originally posted by Asgard Flu View Post
                      Destiny was launched Millions of years ago, not thousands.
                      I don't think this was ever confirmed. It's only been said on the show that Destiny was launched hundereds of thousands of years ago. It's only speculation that Destiny is much older, cause the continuation wouldn't make sense otherwise (With Atlantis and Pegasus gates being younger, yet still build over 30 million years ago etc).

Comment

Originally posted by YceQueen View Post
                        I don't think this was ever confirmed.
                        I'm quite sure it's been spoken in some form of dialogue in the show. I'd have to rewatch them all though to find it and I aint doing that. lol

Comment

In the beginning of SGU, Air (part 1), Rush himself says Destiny was launched hundred(s) of thousands of years ago. Now eventually, this would add up to millions. But the exact amount of time has not be said.

Comment

In the SG-1 episode, The Pegasus Project, Ganas Lal talks about when they returned to Earth, some scattered across the galaxy instead of staying on Earth. We have yet to see or learn where some of those Lantians had went to. Perhaps some made their way to yet another distant galaxy where some universe style gates could be. Just speculation or maybe even wishful thinking.

Comment

How though.. Unless they used icarus to get to the Destiny then gated to a planet, leaving the ship back in dormancy.

Comment

Working...
                              X