Question How Good Is Serenity?

I watched the whole Firefly series and it kinda grew on me but it still didn't even compare to Stargate in my opinion. Stargate is hard to beat.....anyways, is Serenity worth watching?

Default Re: How Good Is Serenity?

I would vote yes, even though I'm not a huge FF fan either. (and yes I have seen both the series and the movie) FF just didn't hit "the right buttons" for me, but MANY of my RL friends love it to bits. If you enjoyed FF, I would urge you to watch Serenity as well, it answers alot of questions.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Alright, yeah I'm the same way. A lot of my friend love Firefly so they told me how great they thought it was and so I watched it. And it just didn't hit the spot. It was decent but I was like ya'll need to watch Stargate and then you'll know what's good ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by nickblack2010 View Post
    Alright, yeah I'm the same way. A lot of my friend love Firefly so they told me how great they thought it was and so I watched it. And it just didn't hit the spot. It was decent but I was like ya'll need to watch Stargate and then you'll know what's good ha ha
    I guess it depends on what you are after. I love my Gate for some "Action/adventure escapisim", but there are far better stories out there such as B5 or DS9. Just depends on what "tickles your fancy"
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Firefly took a couple of viewings before I latched on to it.

Serenity is well worth seeing, as it answers a few questions that I had and kind of puts the full stop to the end of the series.

Think of it as a feature length finale episode.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29235&d=1297874202

Lieutenant Colonel Jedi_Master_Bra'tac's Avatar
    AU where Extinction and Revolution were released

Yes it is worth watching

I loved FF and the movie. I also have been reading the graphic novels (not comics that my wife calls them ), they are also worth looking into if you enjoyed the sereis/movie.
    At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

I'll be honest, I loved Firefly with a passion but Serenity fell flat with me. Not sure why but I just didn't enjoy it much.

Staff Sergeant

Serenity does help bring closure to the FF show, I myself found it somewhat entertaining. I would recommend watching the series first, the first three episodes set the stage for the rest of the series, the movie brings it home. Still a Stargate fan first and foremost though.
    An infinite universe contains an equally infinite amount of knowledge.

Lieutenant Colonel

I watched the whole Firefly series and it kinda grew on me but it still didn't even compare to Stargate in my opinion. Stargate is hard to beat.....anyways, is Serenity worth watching?
    Why does it have to compare to Stargate? Can't it simply be entertaining in it's own right? As for the movie... if you watched all fourteen episodes of the series, why not see the movie? It's the big-screen ending to the series, might as well. I would definitely recommend it. It's a very good science-fiction film in it's own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Why does it have to compare to Stargate? Can't it simply be entertaining in it's own right? As for the movie... if you watched all fourteen episodes of the series, why not see the movie? It's the big-screen ending to the series, might as well. I would definitely recommend it. It's a very good science-fiction film in it's own right.
    I second this. I love SG--all of it, but I also loved FF in its own right. I was very sad that I came so late to this wonderful show and nearly cried when the last episode ended. My only consolation was the movie, which answered a lot of questions and was very good and very frustrating (in parts) at the same time. I would be over the moon if this show ever came back, even as an internet only show.
    <a href=http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm204/whytewytch/Stargate%20Atlantis/IntheBloodsiggieBay.jpg target=_blank>http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...dsiggieBay.jpg</a>
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Lieutenant Colonel WingedPegasus's Avatar

Very very good.

I actually saw Serenity before I saw any of Firefly.
    || twitter || tumblr ||

It is not quite as good as the TV show, but it is still quite good (aside from a particular scene involving Wash... ). If you enjoyed Firefly at all, you should definitely watch Serenity.

Then Serenity is certainly worth watching!

Watch it, it was the film that got me to check out firefly :-)

Staff Sergeant LittleMissBrilliant's Avatar

Firefly was absolutely wonderful (I've watched the entire series 2-3 times now, and "Jaynestown" at least 7 times. ). Serenity is a very good movie to watch, especially if you are missing the series. It's also definitely good if you have not watched any of Firefly, as it gives a reasonable amount of backstory. The characters are all still wonderful and funny. I would say it's definitely something I'd recommend.

Chief Master Sergeant djackson1234's Avatar

Definitely worth watching.
    Same good humour, great story and gives you a bit of closure if it grew on you!

Quote Originally Posted by Whytewytch View Post
    I second this. I love SG--all of it, but I also loved FF in its own right. I was very sad that I came so late to this wonderful show and nearly cried when the last episode ended. My only consolation was the movie, which answered a lot of questions and was very good and very frustrating (in parts) at the same time. I would be over the moon if this show ever came back, even as an internet only show.
    I came to FF as it aired, but that's a rarity for me. Plenty of great shows have aired before I saw or in some cases even knew about them. I have emotional connections to both SG and FF. The movie had frustrating moments in part because Joss was trying to introduce new viewers to it and tell the best possible story in roughly 2 hours because that may be its final curtain call.

Excepting the occasional comic/graphic novel (why no ongoing series like Buffy? Sales insufficient?) it has been.

I've been watching a couple animated scifi series and I'd love to see Firefly to return that way.

Absolutely.

There are some great actors/characters, some very good, stand alone episodes, the start of what could have been an amazing series story arc, and the writing/dialogue was smart, funny and just plain good.

There are some not so good points about the series, but I see the positives by far outweigh the negatives. It's unfortunate that the show got messed up some by the network, something which "Firefly" experienced at the beginning of it's run as opposed to Babylon-5 which got messed up in the last season.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...