Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant

Default Baal's Time Machine On Praxia

Just watched Continuum after forgetting what it was all about and just realised the machine on Praxia built by Baal to locate solar flares is still there, fully functioning. So do we know what's happened to it? did Stargate Command send a team to seize control of it?
    It basically gives Earth the ability to time travel whenever they want to, surely they've took control of it? or have they destroyed it?

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: Baals Time Machine On Praxia

They don't know about it at all.

How would they know it exists?
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

I thought they had that ancient vehicle that O'Neill used to transport them back to ancient Eygpt? So, why would they need Baal's machine?

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by fems View Post
    How would they know it exists?
    haha! good point, my brain skipped that little point. Dang.
    Well it's still out there, I'm surprised with so many teams gating about on a daily basis they don't discover it.

Probie

Default Re: Baal's Time Machine On Praxia

Maybe they do know about it... Old Mitchell might have communicated the info to the SGC.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    I thought they had that ancient vehicle that O'Neill used to transport them back to ancient Eygpt? So, why would they need Baal's machine?
    Slight flaw, it can only go hundreds or thousands of years back and forth. It's method of time travel is not precise. Between Mitchell, Carter, and Jackson... no Ancient gene to fly it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Slight flaw, it can only go hundreds or thousands of years back and forth. It's method of time travel is not precise. Between Mitchell, Carter, and Jackson... no Ancient gene to fly it.
    What about the gene therapy used in SGA?

Lieutenant Colonel

Wouldn't be available to them while they were trapped in the alternate timeline.

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Wouldn't be available to them while they were trapped in the alternate timeline.
    Why would anybody be trapped in an alternate timeline? the timeline is now back to normal. Nobody said anything about the team should have used Janus' time machine in the film, they were just pointing out they don't need to go find the Praxia device (in the normal timeline) because they can time travel without it.

Lieutenant Colonel

Ah, I thought we were talking about an alternate means of restoring history in the movie. Whoops.

You all forget that the entire facility went kaboom when Teal'c said dying to the newly arrived Goa'uld Quetesh that: Quetesh, I die free and dropped a bomb. So there is nothing to find.
    Tha end.

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Peterking72 View Post
    You all forget that the entire facility went kaboom when Teal'c said dying to the newly arrived Goa'uld Quetesh that: Quetesh, I die free and dropped a bomb. So there is nothing to find.
    Tha end.
    That was in the altered timeline, when Mitchell went back and put things right again the facility was in the newly put right timeline and thus never blown up by Teal'c.
    Am I the only one who understand time travel! :-p

Quote Originally Posted by Asgard Flu View Post
    That was in the altered timeline, when Mitchell went back and put things right again the facility was in the newly put right timeline and thus never blown up by Teal'c.
    Am I the only one who understand time travel! :-p
    You're assuming that Baal created the time machine before he went to Earth to sink the gate. It's possible that Baal goes back in time, then sinks the gate, followed by building the machine. Since he died during the attempt to sink the gate, the machine may never have been built.

This would be the most logical conclusion because the timeline was restored. Baal would have needed to do a lot in order to built that machine so he'd have had to interact with himself.

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    You're assuming that Baal created the time machine before he went to Earth to sink the gate. It's possible that Baal goes back in time, then sinks the gate, followed by building the machine. Since he died during the attempt to sink the gate, the machine may never have been built.

This would be the most logical conclusion because the timeline was restored. Baal would have needed to do a lot in order to built that machine so he'd have had to interact with himself.
    He had to have built the machine to predict solar flares in the first place and BEFORE travelling back in time to sink the gate because otherwise he would never have been able to time travel in the first place and travelled so precisely to the exact date and time without the machine to detect flares.
    are you really telling me that Praxia machine wasn't built before he travelled to sink the gate? because if so how the heck did he manage to travel in the first place without the machine to predict the flares? to think he built the machine after originally travelling to sink the gate is clutching at straws in order to avoid being wrong with your initial statement. He didn't just accidentally and through luck gate through time, it was planned and clearly he had a machine to do it all.

Just to clear up any confusion anyone may have about the timeline, the Baal killed by Mitchel in the past doesn't mean the future Baal of the recorrected timeline will cease to exist. The future Baal of the re-corrected timeline doesn't know that mitchell will be in the past waiting for him and so will once again build the machine, step through and get shot in the head.
    The praxia machine will always have been built by future Baal before any time travelling takes place and so even now with past Baal dead and the timeline re-corrected, the praxia machine is built and intact.
    Last edited by Asgard Flu; September 6th, 2012 at 05:12 AM.

But if Ba'al built the outpost (which I still doubt) then he would have to have built it twice; once in the original timeline and once in the new one. We don't know where he went when he dialed out from the ship the first time he came through, so there's a chance he went elsewhere to get started on building that outpost again in 1939 and to amass his armies.

So if Mitchell killed him the second time he came through the gate onto the ship then he would have never built the machine again, thus there wouldn't be an outpost in that timeline.
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

Chief Master Sergeant

But if Ba'al built the outpost (which I still doubt) then he would have to have built it twice; once in the original timeline and once in the new one. We don't know where he went when he dialed out from the ship the first time he came through, so there's a chance he went elsewhere to get started on building that outpost again in 1939 and to amass his armies.

So if Mitchell killed him the second time he came through the gate onto the ship then he would have never built the machine again, thus there wouldn't be an outpost in that timeline.
    Are you all winding me up? the machine was built before any time travelling took place, it was built so he COULD time travel. The time traveling that takes place makes absolutely no difference to the machine, it gets built every single time in all timelines!
    In the altered timeline then yes, he built it again because he'd changed things, but once the timeline went back to how it was meant to be, the timeline went back to the one where he built it in order to travel to the ship to sink the gate, therefore it exists and was never destroyed.

Airman

I've never been able to follow most time-based episodes, because half of them make no sense, either by the process or the paradoxes they create. I choose to see time travel as being nothing more than creating another alternative reality, but that runs parallel (on another dimension?!) to the other alternative realities that exist (those that can be accessed through the Quantum Mirror in Stargate). So, as long as it's just a one-way ticket, travelling into a "Beta" Reality (one altered by travelling through time) from an Alpha Reality would not require the use of the time machine.

Plus, even in the process assumed by Continuum, if the time machine was built after 1997 (they say he got the idea from SG-1), and the timeline is altered in 1939, then as long as the facility is automatically created by the fabric of the cosmos by means of a glitch in space created as a result of the time travel (or some other mumbo-jumbo), then it would not have been created. So it doesn't exist. I think... yes, no... it doesn't exist.

Wait...

"You're not thinking four-dimensionally enough!"

Quote Originally Posted by Asgard Flu View Post
    In the altered timeline then yes, he built it again because he'd changed things, but once the timeline went back to how it was meant to be, the timeline went back to the one where he built it in order to travel to the ship to sink the gate, therefore it exists and was never destroyed.
    But by traveling to the ship to sink the gate (at the end) he entered a new/different timeline, where he had not yet created the machine and got killed by Mitchell before he ever could. Therefore the timeline unfolded as it was supposed to (no major changes, assuming Mitchell didn't interfere) and with all events occurring as they should this new timeline was practically the same as the original one. Hence, the machine doesn't exist at the end of the movie.

Of course, I don't believe it was Ba'al who built it but rather the Ancients so in that case the outpost would still exist.
    On FFnet or AO3

Chief Master Sergeant

But by traveling to the ship to sink the gate (at the end) he entered a new/different timeline, where he had not yet created the machine and got killed by Mitchell before he ever could. Therefore the timeline unfolded as it was supposed to (no major changes, assuming Mitchell didn't interfere) and with all events occurring as they should this new timeline was practically the same as the original one. Hence, the machine doesn't exist at the end of the movie.

Of course, I don't believe it was Ba'al who built it but rather the Ancients so in that case the outpost would still exist.
    But it DOES get built by Baal in the original un-altered timeline, thats how he time travels in the first place! why can you people not grasp this simple fact! the machine isn't only built in the altered timeline, it's built in the first ever original one because that is how he finds the solar flare to originally travel back in time to the correct time and place to sink the gate!
    How the hell do you all think he time traveled in the first ever instance?
    The Baal that was being extracted even says that SG-1 gave him the idea in the first place to use a solar flare to time travel and he said that before the timeline got altered, so the machine at Praxia exists in the first ever unaltered timeline therefore when mitchel puts things right then Baal will still build the machine.
    Does everyone think he just got lucky to find the relevant solar flare to go back to the time the gate was being shipped across the ocean? he would have needed to place sattelites all over the galaxy and build the Praxia machine in order to go exactly where he wanted to go.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Asgard Flu; September 6th, 2012 at 09:51 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast