No announcement yet.

Baal's Time Machine On Praxia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only problem with saying timelines can be reset is that the extra about timetravel on the Continuum DVD more or less says they're using the explanation of multiverses...
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      So much for casual events changing the future...
      I believe you're wrong, Snowman. In the beginning of the episode, people and buildings disappear because Ba'al has gone back (to 1939) and successfully changed the future.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        The only problem with saying timelines can be reset is that the extra about timetravel on the Continuum DVD more or less says they're using the explanation of multiverses...
        The problem with this DVD extra is that it totally contradicts what we see in the movie. If the writers were using the explanation of the multiverse, why did everything change around SG-1? Why did Teal'c and Vala vanish? If the writers were using the multiverse, then Ba'al should have changed an identical parallel world. SG-1's world would go uneffected, and the movie would be some twenty minutes long. I thought the "Laymen's Guide to Time Travel" was really wierd, considering it outright contradicted the time-travel model used in the movie.

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
        I believe you're wrong, Snowman. In the beginning of the episode, people and buildings disappear because Ba'al has gone back (to 1939) and successfully changed the future.
        Finish reading my post before typing up a reply. I was talking about the end of the movie. You said changing casual events changes the future, but when subtle events change the past, the restored timeline is indentical to the original. It was when Ba'al changed history without Mitchell stopping him that time was drastically altered. The Stargate never arriving at the USA meant that the SGC never happened, the Goa'uld were never defeated. However, this doesn't make things disappear. Rather, the vanishing acts at the beginning of the movie were suppose to be a shifting timeline. Anyone who vanished, vanished, because he or she was either dead, never existed, or simply existed somewhere else. The city began to vanish, because it does not exist in the alternate timeline.

Ba'al used the fail safe to go back to 1939 to begin with, so it will remain undiscovered at the end of the movie.
        Last edited by Snowman37; 08 September 2012, 08:02 AM.

Comment

The problem with this DVD extra is that it totally contradicts what we see in the movie. If the writers were using the explanation of the multiverse, why did everything change around SG-1? Why did Teal'c and Vala vanish? If the writers were using the multiverse, then Ba'al should have changed an identical parallel world. SG-1's world would go uneffected, and the movie would be some twenty minutes long. I thought the "Laymen's Guide to Time Travel" was really wierd, considering it outright contradicted the time-travel model used in the movie.
          My point exactly.

Finish reading my post before typing up a reply. I was talking about the end of the movie. You said changing casual events changes the future, but when subtle events change the past, the restored timeline is indentical to the original. It was when Ba'al changed history without Mitchell stopping him that time was drastically altered. The Stargate never arriving at the USA meant that the SGC never happened, the Goa'uld were never defeated. However, this doesn't make things disappear. Rather, the vanishing acts at the beginning of the movie were suppose to be a shifting timeline. Anyone who vanished, vanished, because he or she was either dead, never existed, or simply existed somewhere else. The city began to vanish, because it does not exist in the alternate timeline.

Ba'al used the fail safe to go back to 1939 to begin with, so it will remain undiscovered at the end of the movie.
          No, it's not. Remember the picture in Mitchell's locker at the end? In the beginning there was just a pic of his grandfather but at the end of the movie (in the supposed identical timeline according to you) it's one of his grandfather and his past self.
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

My point exactly.

No, it's not. Remember the picture in Mitchell's locker at the end? In the beginning there was just a pic of his grandfather but at the end of the movie (in the supposed identical timeline according to you) it's one of his grandfather and his past self.
            Are you winding everyone up? the only change in the timeline at the end of the movie is that Mitchell lived in the past and appeared on that photo, everything else has gone back to normal because other than that the timeline was restored to the original and therefore Baal will build his failsafe device and go back in time and get shot. It is now a timeloop that will continue to repeat and the timeline will remain the same because of it and Baals machine will continue to exist in the future.
            Argh!

Comment

If Human beings are so incapable of comprehending a simple time travel plot from a movie it's no wonder the entire planet is the way it is, we really are all screwed! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Asgard Flu View Post
                Are you winding everyone up? the only change in the timeline at the end of the movie is that Mitchell lived in the past and appeared on that photo, everything else has gone back to normal because other than that the timeline was restored to the original and therefore Baal will build his failsafe device and go back in time and get shot. It is now a timeloop that will continue to repeat and the timeline will remain the same because of it and Baals machine will continue to exist in the future.
                Argh!
                No, apparently just you.

I was simply pointing out that not everything is identical and really, can we judge if everything (apart from Mitchell's picture) is the same merely from seeing part of an extraction ceremony and their trip home?
                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

can we judge if everything (apart from mitchell's picture) is the same merely from seeing part of an extraction ceremony and their trip home?
                  yes!

Comment

Remember "Moebius," folks? There were bigger changes to history further in the past. The restored timeline matched up with the original. Why should we expect anything different here?

Comment

Well it seems that when I posted my previous comment I forget that Teal'c was in an alternate timeline when he destroyed thhat machine. Well then it is really out there to find some thay. I bet if there would have been a new movie that plothole would have been dealt with in some way or another. So nobody remembers except the other counterpart of Mitchell who lived in the past, but he is dead already. He maybe left clues though in some way. Maybe in a book for Daniel Jackson to stumble upon one day. Because he is always that guy to find those things. I bet it would give SG-1 quite a headache to conclude that the time travel machine must still exist and must be destroyed to prevent futher misuse.
                      I'm just sorry that we probably won't see any of it made to film.
                      sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

I wouldn't put it past Mitchell to write a book, chronicling his life from Ba'al's extraction ceremony, to the alternate timeline, back to 1929, up to 1939 and the showdown with Ba'al, and then how he lived out his life. This could be left to the Mitchell family with instructions not to open it until (a date after SG-1 returns from Ba'al's extraction), 2008. It's also likely that he simply faded into history, and present-day SG-1 will never know what their counterparts endured.

Comment

Working...
                        X