• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinosaurs On a Spaceship (3302/702)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SERIES 33
    DINOSAURS ON A SPACESHIP
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3302 (702)
    After gathering a crew of friends the Doctor attempts to save an unmanned ship full of dinosaurs hurtling toward Earth, and finds a man on board who will stop at nothing to keep his valuable cargo.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 14 September 2012, 02:03 PM.

Beat ya to it Sealurk!
    I do believe it is 1-1 now...
    Anyway, back on subject, what a fun episode!
    Wasnt as good as the season opener but it was a good fun romp!
    Rorys dad was funny, the villain was interesting and equally menacing, nice mix of people and lots of great one liners and banter!
    Rorys dad and all his pocket contraptions...
    Going to need to watch it again as Im currently running on about 32 hrs no sleep... but it was easy enough to follow.
    Those damn kestrels!
    Robots were fun too, not as silly as I thought theyd be.
    Was wondering how the Silurians would fit in...
    Nice ending too with Rorys dad sitting on the edge of the TARDIS.

Next weeks episode looks good, looking forward to seeing Ben Browder...
    Last edited by Teddybrown; 08 September 2012, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Loved it! You know, I actually far preferred that episode to Asylum of the Daleks, and I hope Solomon had some means of escaping that blast because he could be a very interesting recurring villain... I mean, imagine what he'd make of the TARDIS.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

There were some fun moments, but overall I didn't enjoy this episode. The storyline felt too disjointed and elements just thrown in because they sounded cool. My brother walked out almost just after the titles and I can't say I blame him.

I ddi like the shot a the end
        Spoiler:
        of Rory's dad sat with his flask of tea and tin of sandwiches watching earth from the tardis door. Somehow it felt endearing.
        If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
        sigpic

Comment

Didn't like that much at all. Most of it was totally ridiculous redeemed only by Brian and the special effects. I didn't care at all for Riddell or Nefertiti and couldn't see any point in having them in the episode. Why on earth have a big game hunter? Not the type character I think the Doctor would associate with, to be honest. Also I wonder how many little kiddies were left crying at the demise of the poor triceratops. I think this episode is nearly as bad as Fear Her or Love and Monsters.

2/10. I hope Chris Chibnall is never let near Doctor Who again (although I know he's written The Power of Three which I hope is better than this trash.)

Edit - Though I too liked Rory's Dad sitting on the TARDIS floor having a cuppa.
          Last edited by Blencathra; 08 September 2012, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
            Didn't like that much at all. Most of it was totally ridiculous redeemed only by Brian and the special effects. I didn't care at all for Riddell or Nefertiti and couldn't see any point in having them in the episode. Why on earth have a big game hunter? Not the type character I think the Doctor would associated with, to be honest. Also I wonder how many little kiddies were left crying at the demise of the poor triceratops. I think this episode is nearly as bad as Fear Her or Love and Monsters.

2/10. I hope Chris Chibnall is never let near Doctor Who again (although I know he's written The Power of Three which I hope is better than this trash.)
            I cant remember where I read it, but someone mentioned that every episode after the seasons opener doesnt do too well...

Comment

The robots reminded me of one lot of the aliens from The Fifth Element.
              Interesting episode.
              Not great. OK. Most classic Who is better. I hope the rest of the series is better.

Comment

Much better episode than Asylum of the Daleks... though it could be that it's because I hadn't built it up QUITE so much!

Gripe out of the way first, however. Once again - far too rushed to begin with. I do hope this will not be a precedent. I like a little build up! Take a little time to lay the ground work, not manicness from the start, it almost cheapens the later manicness!

Loved seeing Dinosaurs in Who. Actually it wasn't that long ago I was commenting that they were due a return to my (now ex) girlfriend. Obviously this was before the episode reveal...

I think they were pretty damn well presented, and looked pretty good in terms of CGI and what not. The plot was a pretty good one, particularly as it's well within Who canon that Silurians kept dinosaurs habitually, so it made a lot of sense in that regard. Slightly dissapointed not to SEE Silurians bar the brief cameo in the log... but it worked for the story quite well indeed.

Rather liked Amy's brief foray into being the Doctor with her own companions briefly, and I must admit, Queen Neffie and the Game Hunter were great characters. Got a real Jurassic Park vibe from that chap and it was most welcome. Also great to see the sort of mixed bunch that the Doctor hangs around with. Loved it, although (minor gripe) the cut from the realisation that there was a whole flock of raptors to SAUNTERING in and telling the Doctor it was a two man job wasn't executed well, it felt too blaise.

Also, Indian Space Agency!? Nice. However, missiles (in that time period) WITHOUT a self-destruct? Riiiiiiiiiight. Ok.

Overall, very much enjoyed.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I absolutely loved the Doctor's childlike glee - "Dinosaurs! On a spaceship!"

Rory's dad, happily sitting in the doorway of the TARDIS, sipping his cuppa, munching on his sandwich (bacon butty I'll be bound), and watching the Earth slowly turn below him... Lovely.
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    However, missiles (in that time period) WITHOUT a self-destruct? Riiiiiiiiiight. Ok.
                    And only "lock" onto some sort of beacon within the target ship?

I need a second viewing but agree with an earlier comment: the set-up was way too rushed. WHY did the ISA bother the Doctor for an incoming space-craft (that's what they're there for!) and, moreover, why did he then decide from almost no information that he'd "need" Riddell (who, let's face it, has a pretty specific skill-set).

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                      Anyway, back on subject, what a fun episode!
                      Wasnt as good as the season opener but it was a good fun romp!
                      Rorys dad was funny, the villain was interesting and equally menacing, nice mix of people and lots of great one liners and banter!
                      Rorys dad and all his pocket contraptions...
                      Indeed.

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      Much better episode than Asylum of the Daleks... though it could be that it's because I hadn't built it up QUITE so much!
                      I would be tempted to agree, there were its of Asylum I liked better but as and episode I think this one wins... posiible for the same reason as FlyBoy.

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                      I didn't care at all for Riddell or Nefertiti and couldn't see any point in having them in the episode.
                      I agree they had no really point to be in the episode... but after a while i just went with it and enjoyed the moments.
                      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

I haven't rewatched it yet, but I definitely found this more enjoyable than Asylum of the Daleks. Admittedly it wasn't the best plotted episode, and more than once I found Riddell and Nefertiti to be out of place, but overall I loved the atmosphere, the one-liners and the totally bonkers-yet-brilliant concept for putting dinosaurs on a spaceship.

I actually didn't dislike Amy in this episode, which surprised me. I found her often funny and even likeable rather than her usual bolshy, pushy attitude, and it's good to see companions grow, develop and learn from their journeys.

I suspect the Doctor's slightly uncharacteristic actions at the end - condemning Solomon to death so readily and so brutally - to be indicative of a means of escape. I certainly hope so - Solomon could make for a superb recurring character with a motivation atypical of Who villains, a very human, chilling and ruthless character who can most definitely be bargained with.

I also wonder if the Doctor associating with such an unlikely character as Riddell has deeper meaning - Riddell's idea of using non-lethal weapons on the dinosaurs suggests the Doctor has had some positive influence on him, and they clearly both share a love of the unknown. Maybe Riddell is River's backup... when the Doctor's heading into particularly perilous or unknown circumstances where violence is likely or the Doctor's "gang" may need some extra protection and River isn't available, Riddell is the next best option as a work-in-progress reformed big game hunter who likes mysteries.
                        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

This episode wasn't too bad. Though it still didn't match the awesome-ness of the last.
                          I reckon that because the next few episodes are not directly part of the storyline that they would be weaker.. excluding the fifth episode.
                          Loved the one liners and the gang itself.. oh and not to forget
                          Spoiler:
                          the pash between the doctor and rory......i was thinking wrong pond doctor!

Overall this episode was over-the-top but clever.

EDIT:
                          Spoiler:
                          I just realised in the last scene with nefrittiti and lestrade (i forgot his characters name in this episode) with her hair down and holding a gun...............she reminds me of donovan from sherlock O__o
                          Last edited by iJOKE; 08 September 2012, 02:13 PM.
                          Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
                          - Doctor Who (series 7)
                          - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
                          - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
                          - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
                          - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

Originally posted by iJOKE View Post
                            I reckon that because the next few episodes are not directly part of the storyline that they would be weaker.. excluding the fifth episode.
                            Umm... there's no such thing as filler eps with Doctor Who. They're ALL part of the storyline, because they ARE the storyline...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Did anyone else notice Solomon's non-direct referencing to rape when he had Neffi on his ship, or was that just me?

When Solomon pinned Nefertiti up against the wall with his crutch and how he said he liked it when his possessions had spirit or something and then he went on to
                              say about how he liked it because it is more fun to break in to them or whatever.. The way he looked at her and said that line about breaking into her with great pleasure. F**king come on man. You know exactly what he means. And it is nothing even the adults want to hear from a show like DW. F**king rape man.. SERIOUSLY. Made me feel physically sick.
                              Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Working...
                              X