Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the books as good as the HBO series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question, I've just started book 2 and I'm wondering if I should read book 3 straight away when I'm done, or wait for the series to cover book 3 before starting to read it? I went back and watched some of season 1 again and I was picking at it with what i knew from the books and i don't want to do that all the time... but i might forget enough by march? hmm i can't decide!

Comment

Up to you I read Clash of Kings before Season 2 and still enjoyed the show, even though I did find myself nitpicking. The show is very very good

And Storm of Swords is a phenomenal book!
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
        Yeah GRRM goes for the food descriptions. Not clothes...
        he does go on a bit about armor and sigils and flags and the such. this house's color is....this house's color is.....

I was always like 'dude, i will not remember it' and just skim past.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgified View Post
          I have a question, I've just started book 2 and I'm wondering if I should read book 3 straight away when I'm done, or wait for the series to cover book 3 before starting to read it? I went back and watched some of season 1 again and I was picking at it with what i knew from the books and i don't want to do that all the time... but i might forget enough by march? hmm i can't decide!
          FWIW, I don't believe my book knowledge has diminished enjoyment of the TV series. If you want to stay on the safe side, read the books now, so that many months pass before the next season of television begins.

Comment

Better. Much, much better.

And I love series.

Comment

In the books, you know a lot of the back story. You read the 'beefed up' version of what you see in the show. you read motivations and feelings and attitudes.

In the show, not so much. Many storylines have been eliminated or simplified.

On the other hand, GRRM rambles....a lot. He can go on for pages and pages over who's wearing what, what their standards are and what's for dinner. Some storylines plod along for the length of a book when they could have been handled in a couple of chapters. So the winnowing down that the show does, not totally a bad thing.

I also find it hard to have a mental image of any written character. The show gives me faces to put to the names.

sigpic

Comment

I think that they both have their merits. I like reading the reasoning of the characters in the book and getting a larger explanation of things, but at the same time there are things I thought were done better on the show. Making the book into a series, obviously a few things had to change, slightly, for it to work, but I don't think it damaged it as a story.

Another point, for me, is that they are written a certain way and come off a little more interesting (or less) at times. I'll use Tyrion as an example. In the book I read him as sleazy and have trouble liking him as a character, but on the series Tyrion was brought to life in a way I obviously hadn't imagined.... which is what the actor or actress brings to the character as well...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

If you enjoy reading books, then this series is absolutely worth it. If you don't normally read, but enjoy what you've seen in the show and would like to learn more, then it's worth it. If you're going to skip pages or paragraphs, or treat reading as if it's the monster under the bed, you're wasting your time, just watch the show. As of now, the series is roughly 5000 pages long (paperback) with more to come. That's a daunting task for the people that struggle with 300 page books. If your general experience with reading is the crap the gave you in high school that you didn't care about, and knew you would have to write a paper on, don't let that ruin books like this for you. Fans of this series don't think 5000 pages is nearly enough.

I will agree that the first book and the first season was right on the money. There are things that got lost in the shuffle that were very important though. You can get by without them, but why? If you're going to commit to the series, you might as well read the whole thing. The second season was full of significant changes, but didn't change the broad strokes of the story. In a lot of instances, you get bonus content. In others, things are completely different.

Examples: Dany never has her dragons stolen. Xaro was lily white and gay. You don't see so much of Robb in the books. You hear about him, but Robb and Stannis and Tywin are really more of a plot device. The events of Harrenhall happen differently. Arya is responsible for the deaths, directly and indirectly of many more people...

If you read ahead, you may watch some of the show in disbelief. You know that something is going to happen, but they change the way it happens. A lot of times I become preoccupied with the fact that a part, or character, that I liked is not included or changed. The entire "Blackwater" episode I was wondering where Tyrions chain was, it didn't appear. It was a pretty big deal in the book, and yet it was still an awesome episode. I can already tell you that this type of thing will continue into the third season based on the cast. The fact is that there are so many characters in the books, that it's a bit impossible to have a perfect recreation within a budget.

On it's own, the show is wonderful. Especially if you still haven't grasped the concept that there's no such thing as good guys and bad guys in this series. You'll continue to be surprised at every turn. The books are so much more powerful, full of story and information that the world of ASOIAF can become a hobby in it's own way. They are their own, and they are separate.

I had yet to read the books prior to the first season. When Ned got his head chopped off, I thought "Nah, He'll be back next week". I was convinced the cavalry would come in and save him, it was just a TV trick. I remember how shocking that was. Still, there are some events that will happen that I cannot imagine would be told better in the show than it was in the books. I'm sure it will still be powerful, but it's hard to duplicate something you consider to be perfect.

I can't say which way is best. Watch the show then read the books, read the books then watch the show, follow along in the books with the show, there's no good answer. Sometimes you get moments where Dany gets her dragons stolen and you want to pull out your hair because you know that is wrong. There's good moments like when they're singing Reynes of Castamere that are uplifting if you have knowledge of the books, but you wont experience if you don't.

The show compliments the books, but don't take the shows word for it.

Comment

^Thank you for such a well thought-out post. It's good to know that I wouldn't just be reading what I just watched. That kind of held me off, but I think I'm going to try reading book one, and that will be safe. I don't want to go too far because I don't want that feeling of frustration when things are different. Like,
                    Spoiler:
                    I really like the red haired "working woman" that is in Littlefinger's employ and how it seems like Varis is going to save her from Peter's cruelty, but I've been told she's not even in the books at all.

Thanks.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      In the books, you know a lot of the back story. You read the 'beefed up' version of what you see in the show. you read motivations and feelings and attitudes.

In the show, not so much. Many storylines have been eliminated or simplified.

On the other hand, GRRM rambles....a lot. He can go on for pages and pages over who's wearing what, what their standards are and what's for dinner. Some storylines plod along for the length of a book when they could have been handled in a couple of chapters. So the winnowing down that the show does, not totally a bad thing.
                      Yeah, George does ramble on...sometimes it's very informative, sometimes it's just rambling. On most occasions he's a very effective writer.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

I also find it hard to have a mental image of any written character. The show gives me faces to put to the names.
                      I generally don't have much difficulty of forming a mental image but as I started with the series, obviously the current actors image "hijacked" the characters.

I watched the first series and started reading the books. And then I was so deep into the books , I stopped watching the series. Which I suppose it is unusual. I' get to catch up one of these days, Image and written word can be two very different worlds. Some events in the books can't be translated to images (at least in daytime TV). I'd say in this case they're complementary.
                      sigpic
                      Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                      Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

...I like that in the books they explain the characters thoughts, which is not done in the series so much because you have to change it into a spoken sentence to translate it or find some other way to bring it out... There are times when the characters are funny or reveal something by one thought written between talking...which Jamie and Tyrion had some good ones... I got more of a feel for who the characters were by their thoughts and actions...

but as I said earlier they both have their merits...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                        "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                        a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
                          ...I like that in the books they explain the characters thoughts, which is not done in the series so much because you have to change it into a spoken sentence to translate it or find some other way to bring it out... There are times when the characters are funny or reveal something by one thought written between talking...which Jamie and Tyrion had some good ones... I got more of a feel for who the characters were by their thoughts and actions...

but as I said earlier they both have their merits...
                          This is difficult to do on a television show, as it would take up too much screen time delving into each character's thoughts. I think the show does a good job of showing us what each character's motivations are though.
                          sigpic

Comment

I am thinking about this book series I like the show thanks for all the answers it does help it gives me insight.

I know this is an adult series but for example I enjoyed Harry Potter movies then I got into the books and I loved the books more but I also enjoyed the show Legend of the Seeker and tried the book and I couldn't stand it didn't get through the first one the writing style drove me nuts I was like get to the point already but I was never like that with the HP books.

So does he get to the point and keep you interested in the books?
                            sigpic
                            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

initially, yes. But I feel that he does start to meander and wander in the later books. I think I said above, it was like he got lost in the story so just kept writing chapters for the sake of writing as he was trying to figure out where he was going with it.

I did read the books after only seeing season 1, so I had the draw of what happens to whom. but I do kinda wonder if, by the end of HBO's series - which is very possible to wrap up the story before Martin does - if the series won't go down as 'better' than the books, simply because it moves faster and more efficiently.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                                This is difficult to do on a television show, as it would take up too much screen time delving into each character's thoughts. I think the show does a good job of showing us what each character's motivations are though.
                                I agree...

I'm really enjoying the show as well as the books. I just got through A Feast For Crows, which seemed to take a long time and didn't have so many of my favourite characters in it, but for me it made up for it with the surprises it gave along the way...

Comment

Working...
                                X